Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GS 450h 0-60 in 5.2 seconds( nuff said!!) $54,900 (pg 3)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-06, 08:51 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
batteries themselves are not that "big" actually. All depends how well was it designed from start and how much space there is at back. There might not be that much since it is RWD. They might used run flats and spare tire space for batteries.
i am not sure if it's going to be small though. look at the rx400h, the car is higher and it's a big *** battery under the rear seats. that's how big it is to provide the necessary juice
Old 03-01-06, 08:54 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
From a post in the GS450H thread in the 3GS forum :
A purpose built vehicle like the Prius can design the battery box from the getgo. A spute like the RX has more ability to hide battery boxes than a regular sedan. But the GS doesn't have a lot of unused secret space. You do not want to separate battery packs and have a lot more wiring running around. So the trunk is going to lose around 80 liters (3 cubic feet, or 1 by 1 by 3 feet) of space, roughly 20%. Doesn't seem so bad. The trunk on the GS isn't bad but it isn't great either. And the opening is ridiculous. I have gone on short vacations with four people in the GS and you have to be very careful what you let everybody bring. The GS h is going to be worse. There is a price to pay for the hybrid after all.
Old 03-01-06, 04:06 PM
LexFather

Well I can't say for sure, but with technology, in time things always get more powerful and smaller. There is a good chance the batteries in the LS are smaller than in the Prius and GS but more powerful.

This trend will continue as each hybrid is developed.

Old 03-01-06, 08:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

The GS450h is no doubt a technical marvel but the tiny trunk with the tiny opening is a pretty big drawback. Not sure of the point of having such a large sport sedan without the ability to carry much luggage or golf bags or scuba gear or whatever. No way 4-5 people are going on vacation in it. That's kinda why I'm finding many sports sedans neither that sporty or that practical.

But the GS450h is still a major accomplishment for Lexus.
Old 03-01-06, 11:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
The GS450h is no doubt a technical marvel but the tiny trunk with the tiny opening is a pretty big drawback. Not sure of the point of having such a large sport sedan without the ability to carry much luggage or golf bags or scuba gear or whatever. No way 4-5 people are going on vacation in it. That's kinda why I'm finding many sports sedans neither that sporty or that practical.

indeed, i have to agree. if the gs450h (with a already no-so-big trunk) has even less trunk space, that's not good... definitely one big draw back for a car of its size
Old 03-02-06, 09:46 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

I have to add my agreement. To tell you the truth, I found the 7 to be much smaller on the inside than you would think, relative to how big it was on the outside, but it had a pretty decent sized trunk. I bought the GS to get the driving experience, and I hate to make a purchase decision based on the size of the empty box I get to haul around out back, but the GS doesn't have trunk to lose for me. Those hybrid buyers will be buying a unique vehicle and making compromises because of it. But my opinion probably matters little as the GS isn't even on my shopping list for next time. But the LS definitely is.
Old 03-02-06, 10:03 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had to "make it work" but the 2nd gen gs trunk is small.... I had 3-4 sets of clubs STUFFED into it. I use to cart around my tennis ball machine, heavy bag.... I did make it work....

And we just talked about this a couple days ago as a lot of people don't only have 1 car. Yeah I beat my GS up daily but even if it had a bigger trunk, I am not packing 4 people into it for the weekend. Someone in the family usually has a SUV or Van or something.......
Old 03-02-06, 10:39 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

Default Awesome

For a big sedan with 339 combined HP to go from 0-60mph in just 5.2s is simply AMAZING. I really hope the chasis and handling is also up there.

to Lexus.
Old 03-02-06, 10:48 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by newr
For a big sedan with 339 combined HP to go from 0-60mph in just 5.2s is simply AMAZING. I really hope the chasis and handling is also up there.

to Lexus.
ferocious low end torque of electric motors works wonders doesnt it
Old 03-02-06, 11:39 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

Both the GS450H and GS460 are going to be out soon, and especially with the MSRP of the 450H starts at $54,900, I wonder who are going to buy the current GS430?
Old 03-02-06, 01:15 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Both the GS450H and GS460 are going to be out soon...
I thought there was word that the 460 engine can't fit the new Gen GS? Can anyone confirm this? If so, the engines that will be available are the 350 and 430, with the V6 being more powerful and expensive than the V8!!!
Old 03-02-06, 01:25 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I thought there was word that the 460 engine can't fit the new Gen GS? Can anyone confirm this? If so, the engines that will be available are the 350 and 430, with the V6 being more powerful and expensive than the V8!!!
There is absolutely no "confirmation" that I have seen that the 460 will, for some magical reason, not fit in the space currently occupied by the 430. The "friend at a dealer" rumor that started this is probably not to be believed.
Old 03-02-06, 01:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Both the GS450H and GS460 are going to be out soon, and especially with the MSRP of the 450H starts at $54,900, I wonder who are going to buy the current GS430?
well it's not a problem if they are not really production more gs430 now
Old 03-02-06, 01:57 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I thought there was word that the 460 engine can't fit the new Gen GS? Can anyone confirm this?
If they can fit the LS1 in the Miata, I don't think there will be a problem with the 460 in the GS.
Old 03-03-06, 08:40 PM
LexFather

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=204168

I went shopping

All the reviews thus far

Quick Reply: GS 450h 0-60 in 5.2 seconds( nuff said!!) $54,900 (pg 3)