Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GS 450h 0-60 in 5.2 seconds( nuff said!!) $54,900 (pg 3)

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-06, 10:17 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

disappointed they only have plans for now to make 2000, i can imagine that number easily being sold out upon release, hope they make some more
Old 03-05-06, 11:38 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
disappointed they only have plans for now to make 2000, i can imagine that number easily being sold out upon release, hope they make some more
maybe they are just playing safe, considering that this is a first for everyone
Old 03-06-06, 01:49 PM
ultraseven
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

V8 power with an economy of a smaller V6 is an achievement, but I don't see it challenging any M or AMG cars yet. Nonetheless, I would love to feel the low end torque of this car .

It's an alternative for a V8, but once the E550 comes out the horsepower war will continue.
Old 03-06-06, 03:23 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by ultraseven
V8 power with an economy of a smaller V6 is an achievement, but I don't see it challenging any M or AMG cars yet. Nonetheless, I would love to feel the low end torque of this car .

It's an alternative for a V8, but once the E550 comes out the horsepower war will continue.
THey never said or intend this to become an AMG/M competitor.
I see the mags stating they would LIKE for that to happen though

Old 03-06-06, 04:17 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
They never said or intend this to become an AMG/M competitor.
I see the mags stating they would LIKE for that to happen though
I think that people confuse that just because MB and BMW use a "special badge" for higher horsepower output, that Lexus needs to have a "badge" as well to indicate that a car is made for higher horsepower output.

It is true that the "h" for Lexus Hybrids are for higher horsepower, but that is a completely different animal than that of the AMG and M-Series. Whereas the latter is for higher performance and handling, the former is for faster acceleration and better gas efficiency. I for one don't care too much about handling (can't do it anyways in L.A. traffic) but acceleration is key to pass the guy going 40 mph in the carpool lane.
Old 03-09-06, 12:53 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I think that people confuse that just because MB and BMW use a "special badge" for higher horsepower output, that Lexus needs to have a "badge" as well to indicate that a car is made for higher horsepower output.

It is true that the "h" for Lexus Hybrids are for higher horsepower, but that is a completely different animal than that of the AMG and M-Series. Whereas the latter is for higher performance and handling, the former is for faster acceleration and better gas efficiency. I for one don't care too much about handling (can't do it anyways in L.A. traffic) but acceleration is key to pass the guy going 40 mph in the carpool lane.
recent Autoweek review of GS450h called it involving - including handling, unlike some other cars in the class (probably GS430, lol).

which is what i found hillarious.
Old 03-09-06, 01:58 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
recent Autoweek review of GS450h called it involving - including handling, unlike some other cars in the class (probably GS430, lol).

which is what i found hillarious.
The GS450h has tremendous power, and clearly feels more powerful than even a GS430. The "instantaneous" feeling from all the torque provided by electric motors I think might have something to do with it. Also the improved weight distribution of the GS450h helps as well. I believe its 51/49 front/rear, compared with about 53/47 for the GS430. That's not even mentioning the optional active roll bar stabilization system. Lets hope this option will also be available on the new LS, and the rest of the GS line.
Old 03-13-06, 11:02 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Full Test: 2007 Lexus GS 450h with video

Vehicle Tested:
2007 Lexus GS 450h Hybrid 4dr Sedan

What Works:
Unique driving experience, mile-wide torque band, seamless hybrid operation, super silent.

What Needs Work:
Diminutive trunk, reflective interior surfaces cut visibility, awkwardly placed control panel, non-hybrid fuel economy.

Bottom Line:
An important step forward in the use of hybrid technology to achieve a new level of driving pleasure.

Full review with video: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=109609
Old 03-13-06, 11:22 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

^

I was just about to post that review .

Check out the specs listed deep in the review; not only did Edmunds get 0 - 60 in 5.5sec, but they got a 1/4 mile time of 13.7 sec . This is Edmunds we're talking about, who usually get some of the slowest times. The GS450h is a guaranteed 13 sec car! Just imagine the numbers C & D will be getting. Low 5s to 60mph very likely, and low 13s in the 1/4 are also probable.

Not to mention, Edmunds loved the handling and the grip of the car even without the optional active roll bars.

They got an average mpg of 22, and thats under hard driving. More normal daily driving will yield and even better mileage.

Edmunds also points out that the hybrid powertrain now seamlessly transitions together with the gas engine. They say in the review Toyota has mastered the seamlessness of the hybrid powertrain with the gas engine.

The GS450h is truly a remarkable machine. What other midsize luxo sedan is capable of achieving such a combination of performance, fuel economy, emissions, and smooth seamless power? None of the competition, including the Germans, have anything to compete with this.

The GS will be on a roll this year, with the hybrid, and coming later on with the engine changes.

If the GS hybrid is this fast, and this good, then the LS hybrid may just be absolutely smoking! Lexus has stated how the flagship LS hybrid would take on the top sedans that the Germans had to offer, and beat them in performance (or something along those lines).
Old 03-13-06, 11:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

man, reading all these really makes me wanna see the car soon.....
Old 03-14-06, 12:17 PM
LexFather

LOl, a hybrid whooping all sorts of behind at red lights and at the track.

This GS can totally change the perception of what a hybrid is and can be!

Old 03-16-06, 08:31 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts
Default Toyota Unveils Lexus Hybrid Sedan

TOKYO, March 16

Mar 16, 2006; Reuters reported that Toyota Motor Corp. began selling the first hybrid sedan under its high-end Lexus marque in Japan on Thursday, saying the domestic launch would be followed by a roll-out overseas starting next month.

Japan's top auto maker has been expanding its gasoline-electric hybrid powertrain through its product lineup as it drives towards its goal of selling 1 million units of the fuel-sipping vehicles annually some time around 2010.

The GS450h, powered by the world's first hybrid system specifically designed for cars with rear-wheel-drive, twins a 3.5-litre V6 gasoline engine with an electric motor to provide power comparable to a 4.5-litre vehicle, but with the fuel economy of a 2-litre engine, or around 14.2 km/litre (33 miles per gallon), Toyota said.

Toyota wants to sell 1,800 GS hybrids a year in Japan, and 5,700 units globally in 2006. It also plans to launch a hybrid version of the LS sedan, Lexus's flagship model, after the new gasoline version debuts this fall.

The GS450h is the second hybrid offering for the Lexus brand, after the RX400h sport utility vehicle.

Toyota, the world leader in hybrid sales and technology, sold 234,950 hybrid vehicles globally in 2005, up from 134,690 the year before.

The world's second-biggest auto maker has said it aims to halve the cost -- and price -- of the hybrid system to steer the niche powertrain into the mainstream and eventually offer the option across its entire vehicle lineup.

Customers still pay a premium of thousands of dollars for hybrid cars, with the GS450h starting at 6.8 million yen ($57,950), compared with 5.2 million yen ($44,310) for a gasoline-only 3.5-litre version and 6.3 million yen ($53,690) for the 4.3-litre GS. ($1=117.34 Yen)

source : theautochannel
Old 03-16-06, 09:03 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

nice nice nice, we need them here FAST
Old 03-16-06, 09:23 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I have a very strong feeling that the wait list for this car is going to be out of control. I wonder how they are going to advertise it?? If they do at all??
Old 03-16-06, 09:29 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by magneto112
I have a very strong feeling that the wait list for this car is going to be out of control. I wonder how they are going to advertise it?? If they do at all??
" A Car That You Will Have to Wait For"

Quick Reply: GS 450h 0-60 in 5.2 seconds( nuff said!!) $54,900 (pg 3)