Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Two Lexus, One Lexus, No Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-06, 08:08 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two Lexus, One Lexus, No Lexus

Well guys, as of tomorrow, we will not have a Toyota product in our family. First time in.... 16 years!

My wife traded in her RX300 tonight for a MDX (the XC90 at $5K more just didn't cut it) and my GS430 goes back tomorrow (off lease).

Unfortunately, I think Lexus has some serious holes in their lineup that need to be filled - ASAP (Are you listening Lexus?). No three rows of seats in a car based SUV and no sports package on the GS ruled out another Lexus for either of us. My wife is REALLY upset about losing her RX - she LOVED that car. The need to carry a third child comes up almost weekly with carpooling and whatnot and the RX will only hold two car seats max.

Anyway, the MDX is a really nice car. It does not ride like the Lexus and does not feel as solid (to me the RX330 does not feel as solid as the RX300 either). I have to say that the NAV system on the MDX is unbelievable - puts my BMW to shame and easily one ups my GS.

Anyway, I've promised Mike (aka 1SICK) that I will stay around to keep you guys honest. So don't think you are getting rid of me. I like this place too much.
Old 02-28-06, 08:14 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Congrats on the new cars. Glad to hear that you will still stick around.
Old 02-28-06, 08:21 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by doug_999
I will stay around to keep you guys honest. So don't think you are getting rid of me. I like this place too much.

Its funny, pretty soon this place is going to be overun with BMW owners!! lol
Old 02-28-06, 08:33 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats on the new cars.

Do hang out to see how the Lexus SUVs will evolve as soon as the sedan (and perhaps coupe) craze is over. Maybe you'll trade that MDX when the time arises.
Old 02-28-06, 11:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Congrats Doug on the MDX - that model has aged VERY gracefully and still looks great. A friend here has one and I really like it.
Old 03-01-06, 01:02 AM
dough boi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by D2-AUTOSPORT
Oh crap, I'm selling my 5spd SC for a BMW, but I'll still have my SC400
Old 03-01-06, 02:24 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by D2-AUTOSPORT
That is fuuny. I'm not sure what it is, but it could be because many were once BMW owners that moved to Lexus. I know I traded my BMW for the Lexus, but soon might go back as well or at least own both. Anyway, good luck with the new cars Doug_999
Old 03-01-06, 05:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Congragulations. Since you are an engineer, I guess you know the break-in rules. One thing, though, is different for Honda / Acura cars. Don't do a 1000-mile oil change like most other cars to get the shavings out. Honda uses break-in oil at the factory they want left in for 3000 miles. Otherwise the break-in is the same.

And, of course, as always...SCRATCH-OUT to keep the paint like new.

http://www.kitwax.com/html/kitProducts.htm
Old 03-01-06, 07:05 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Congrats on the ride, MDX is the best SUV ever made.

Now hurry up and trade that 550 for the upcoming gs460.
Old 03-01-06, 07:17 AM
Bercasio
Pole Position

I betcha' in the next couple of years when Lexus will unveil more new options on the existing models and new models to come, that everybody will be switchin back to Lexus again. It's only a matter of time....either way congrats to Doug and his wife on their new rides!
Old 03-01-06, 08:33 AM
Initial B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by doug_999
Well guys, as of tomorrow, we will not have a Toyota product in our family. First time in.... 16 years!

My wife traded in her RX300 tonight for a MDX

Unfortunately, I think Lexus has some serious holes in their lineup that need to be filled - ASAP (Are you listening Lexus?). No three rows of seats in a car based SUV and no sports package on the GS ruled out another Lexus for either of us. My wife is REALLY upset about losing her RX - she LOVED that car. The need to carry a third child comes up almost weekly with carpooling and whatnot and the RX will only hold two car seats max.
MDX - shoulda bought a loaded AWD Sienna (almost Lexus-like), or will she be doing some offroading in addition to the kid-hauling?

GS - I hear ya. I wish Lexus/Toyota would come out with a true sports sedan.
Old 03-01-06, 09:28 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Bercasio
I betcha' in the next couple of years when Lexus will unveil more new options on the existing models and new models to come, that everybody will be switchin back to Lexus again. It's only a matter of time....either way congrats to Doug and his wife on their new rides!

Its funny you say that, i was looking at the LS460L last week and wondering if with the reported increased power, higer base price, and increased feature content (not to mention the much larger overall size) if any BMW / BENZ / AUDI guys would be jumping ship to Lexus.

I think the only deterrent would be PERCEIVED image / status stuff (note the word PERCEIVED!!)

I thnk the LS460L is going to take Lexus in a new direction.
Old 03-01-06, 09:34 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by replica
MDX - shoulda bought a loaded AWD Sienna (almost Lexus-like), or will she be doing some offroading in addition to the kid-hauling?

GS - I hear ya. I wish Lexus/Toyota would come out with a true sports sedan.
Unfortunately my wife will never own a minivan. I personally love them - but she hates them with such a passion. This is only her third car (91 Celica, 2000 RX300, and now this) -she keeps her cars a while and looks/style are important to her. I'm not knocking the Sienna/Odyssey crowd here; these are just her personal opinions.
Old 03-01-06, 09:49 AM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
That is fuuny. I'm not sure what it is, but it could be because many were once BMW owners that moved to Lexus. I know I traded my BMW for the Lexus, but soon might go back as well or at least own both. Anyway, good luck with the new cars Doug_999
I'm thinking about being a former BMW owner when my lease run out because I like the way Lexus is going with the looks luxury and now the performance I have a 98 GS 300 for about a month now rides real nice good highway power not bad on gas But after looking at Kanes 2006 gs 430 then going looking at my 2004 545 the bimmer looked so plain and the service at the Hendrick Lexus in Charlotte is 10x better than the Hendrick BMW across the Blvd from each other. I just thank Lexus is stepping their game up alot make it so bad I work for BMW in Spartanburg sc If Lexus do come out with a high performance coupe or sedan it is over.
Old 03-01-06, 10:31 AM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear that! But I'm sure you'll end getting another Lexus again. Happened to me already.

~Josh

Quick Reply: Two Lexus, One Lexus, No Lexus