Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes turning up AMG horsepower

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-06, 04:36 PM
GS3rdwow
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like i said...this is all mercedes too.

Lack of focus on the real luxury game. Anyhow, whats next? Wouldnt be surprised if they came out with a station wagon that had 500HP on that too.
Old 03-01-06, 05:02 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3rdwow
Like i said...this is all mercedes too.

Lack of focus on the real luxury game. Anyhow, whats next? Wouldnt be surprised if they came out with a station wagon that had 500HP on that too.
The E55 AMG station wagon is pretty close 5.5-liter supercharged V8,Horsepower: 469 hp @ 6900 rpm,Torque: 516 ft.-lbs. @ 2650 - 4500 rpm : Link : HERE
The next upgrade of this thing will get 500 hp for sure
Old 03-01-06, 05:38 PM
GS3rdwow
Lead Lap

Its just incredibly foolish for a car manufacturer to tie up its cash in investing it in **** like horsepower and bombarding it with this rather than investing those freed up cash towards build quality and engineering. Maybe then they wont be in articles about being very least reliable?

WHEN WILL YOU LEARN FROM TOYOTA, YOU GERMAN YOYO'S!?!?!!?!!!!
Old 03-01-06, 06:11 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Now now, don't behave like little children fighting on who's daddy is better.

Sure Mercedes sucks in quality control, but that's not every single car, you have to realize. Some are bad, some are okay, some are flawless.

Even Lexus *gulp* has some very badly built cars.

I don't know if you've noticed, but the Mercedes 63 AMG cars, are more aimed toward high end buyers looking for performance, and they have so much money they don't care about QC. They could just pay the bill, and be off again with their supercar.

Mercedes > Lexus in performance
Lexus > Mercedes in quality and reliability
Old 03-01-06, 11:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

well, to each his own. i wouldn't call what mb does a foolish thing. they had a goal and the made it, and a bold statement, and the bottom line? people are buying it. whether WE think it's a good thing or not, let's put it aside, coz' that's merely another piece of opinion.

it's just like bmw excels in driving experience, but lack the luxury feel. mb excels in hp and speed, but lacks the quality. lexus excels in luxury and comfort, but lacks in power (currently) and handling. so, there you go
Old 03-02-06, 05:41 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Seems like Mercedes is looking to beat out Bugatti.
Old 03-02-06, 05:53 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

I don't mind MB upping their AMG power, excess is part of the luxury equation afterall. But I hope they can improve on the reliability of their electronics at the same time, though I never expect them to match Lexus & some of the other Japanese brands.
Old 03-02-06, 07:38 AM
GS3rdwow
Lead Lap

I think rominl made a good point. I seem to be less irritated with mercedes now. Perhaps it is a matter of what they want to be in.

I still believe an overal superb package is what most buyers would want.

I do not believe the average buyer wants an ONLY performance luxury car...or an ONLY drive experience car, or an ONLY luxury feeling car (though bmw dont even have interior that can be considered luxury)..

The lexus is defintely stepping up to horsepower but i can tell you they will never place it any where near the importance of true luxury feel and refinement and build wuality fit and finish.
Old 03-02-06, 09:02 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3rdwow
I think rominl made a good point. I seem to be less irritated with mercedes now. Perhaps it is a matter of what they want to be in.

I still believe an overal superb package is what most buyers would want.

I do not believe the average buyer wants an ONLY performance luxury car...or an ONLY drive experience car, or an ONLY luxury feeling car (though bmw dont even have interior that can be considered luxury)..

The lexus is defintely stepping up to horsepower but i can tell you they will never place it any where near the importance of true luxury feel and refinement and build wuality fit and finish.
yup, exactly. they want to be in it, and they did it, taht's all.

now what WE want though.... well, we are all on lexus forum for a reason right? if today i have couple of millions, i might just get an insane power amg just for fun, but i probably would want a better packaged car to drive every day.

and andrew, we have been saying it for a long time about mb's problems, let's just hope they do listen