Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes turning up AMG horsepower

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-06, 03:46 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mercedes turning up AMG horsepower

Mercedes-Benz put the spotlight on horsepower in Geneva, unveiling a slate of barn-burners from its AMG tuner division and what it says is the world's most powerful eight-cylinder, naturally aspirated production engine.

AMG debuted the CLK 63 coupe convertible to replace the AMG CLK 55. The AMG CLS and CLK models are powered by a 6.3-liter, 514hp V-8 developed in-house by AMG. It drives through a new AMG seven-speed transmission.

Mercedes claims the engine produces world-best torque and power for a non-boosted engine. "Even these heady heights are not the pinnacle of what can be achieved in series production," said Volker Mornhinweg, head of Mercedes-AMG GmbH since September 2005, said.

The CLK 63 models will go on sale in June in the United States. The CLS version will come in September.

A 510hp version of the same engine will go into the R class sport wagon. The R63 goes on sale in August. The ML 63 SUV debuts in the United States in July.

Also unveiled was a freshened SL 65 AMG. The SL 65 AMG is powered by a turbo-boosted V-12 rated at 612 hp.

Source: http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...01/1041/PHOTOS
Old 03-01-06, 05:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Wonderful. That's JUST what the AMG's need.....more power.
Old 03-01-06, 06:45 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Jesus Christ Mercedes is making asphalt burning rockets.
Old 03-01-06, 07:41 AM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

More horsepower means more $$$$$ for the car!!!!!

~Josh
Old 03-01-06, 07:59 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

In one of the other threads, I posted something about them adding turbos to the 6.3L engine in the bigger models. (S, CL, SL etc) in the near future. So even more power for these already monstrous engines.
Old 03-01-06, 09:01 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

the mb site is down, but from my memory, the clk55 is just an NA engine, while other 55 series (except c55 of course) are all supercharged v8 with close to 500hp already. so with the migration to 63 series (clk63, cls63), does that mean the clk is benefiting the most? of course, even the cls63 would be

does anyone know about the plan on e55? when would it go to e63? if only the high end models get the turbos, that mens the e63 would just be NA?
Old 03-01-06, 09:40 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

I' ve heard from MBWorld that there will be no SL63 AMG until the next redesign . . .
Old 03-01-06, 12:07 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

rominl - You are correct, the CLK55 AMG is a NA 5.4L putting out a little over 360.

How about... instead of giving their already hot selling vehicles more power... fire your entire QC department and bring in some new people?
Old 03-01-06, 12:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
I' ve heard from MBWorld that there will be no SL63 AMG until the next redesign . . .
umm if that's the case then i guess there will be no e63 in the current generation then.

and thanks rupp for confirming. if the price tag don't get increased by a lot, i think the clk63 will become a better buy. for the old pricing, i think it's too expensive for a car that's based on the c class.
Old 03-01-06, 12:50 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 311 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Wonderful. That's JUST what the AMG's need.....more power.
It's a HP race they have going with BMW, so regardless of how "practical" or "useful" it is, that seems to be a secondary concern................
Old 03-01-06, 01:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Hameed
It's a HP race they have going with BMW, so regardless of how "practical" or "useful" it is, that seems to be a secondary concern................
if that's the race, then i think mb has been in the lead for a quite a while
Old 03-01-06, 01:14 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Besides the horsepower, what really caught my eye was the new seven-speed transmission. I'm glad to see they finally built something to replace their war horse of a 5 speed that can handle the monumental power their engines are making.

This is the first I've read anything about it. Does anybody have more info on it?
Old 03-01-06, 03:11 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

306hps in my IS350 is more than enough for me for daily driving. I dont know why people are so crazy about horses. I would be scared to death to drive one of those on the street.
Old 03-01-06, 03:16 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
Probably not. They even upped the HP on the 07 SL55 to over 500hp.
Old 03-01-06, 04:14 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TheRupp
rominl - You are correct, the CLK55 AMG is a NA 5.4L putting out a little over 360.

How about... instead of giving their already hot selling vehicles more power... fire your entire QC department and bring in some new people?
Benz has won. I mean really, BMW, Audi, hell Lambo, Ferrari cannot compete. They have more power and torque in NON-exotics and the SLR and CLK DTM are nuts.

And what is the main thing the press has said? Unusable or the chasssis is not sporty enough for these powerful engines.

I would also rather them put the money in QC but maybe AMG is still kinda a seperate arm, that does what it wants.

Overall, in the past what, 7 years, AMG has come out ROARING and they should be applauded for bringing such incredible beasts to the market.

I think AMG cars are some of the best looking of ANY carmaker, no matter what car they mod.

Quick Reply: Mercedes turning up AMG horsepower