Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Stupid VSC almost got me into accident.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-06, 12:16 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
It has. It is called VDIM, its on the GS 430 and IS 350 and will be on more Lexi in the future. Even the newer VSC is not as intrusive
Right, but I think he meant (as I did) if there was any way to detune the VSC on the current car, through diagnostics or something of the sort.
Old 03-02-06, 01:00 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It has. It is called VDIM, its on the GS 430 and IS 350 and will be on more Lexi in the future. Even the newer VSC is not as intrusive
Thanks, but I mean to update the vehicles that currently have the "old" VSC like doing a flash to give it new program.
Old 03-02-06, 02:08 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

I agree with the fact that VSC, although created for safety purposes, can become a pain to deal with, and sometimes can become a danger to the driver (which in this case was to get the car moving quickly.).

What I don't agree with, is the fact that you call is a "stupid" system AND the fact that you decided to floor the car to get it moving. Never and I mean NEVER, do you floor a car while trying to make a turn UNLESS you're in an open parking lot trying to showoff and do donuts.

If you were planning on entering the street (which in your case was heavy with traffic), there was no reason for you to floor your GS to get it moving. If at all, the VSC saved your car from fishtailing and getting into an accident. I already read your reply, saying that your GS barely chirped it's tires and you have nice tires on your GS and blah blah blah. I can burn the tires on my pathfinder if I decide to floor it from a standstill. The point is, your car has the necessary power to burn your tires when you've floored the gas, AND it was reckless of you to floor your car while trying to make a turn into busy traffic.

I go to school in the city, and I'm ALWAYS entering busy streets heavy with traffic from small one-way lanes. You just have to WAIT and other drivers on the road (who aren't complete jerks) will stop and give you space to turn.

Originally Posted by replica
some of you guys belong on a Buick or Oldsmobile forum...
If you'd like to check out our race/kill stories, take a look in the appropriate thread. Making a turn WHILE flooring the gas into heavy traffic does not make you a skilled racer or a worthy driver. It makes you reckless and impatient.

We look after our members on this board and making dangerous turns is just one of the things we'll point out to a member. That doesn't mean we're hating on him or we're trying to start a fight. We're simply stating our opinions and suggesting ways that may help the member.

We've all had our races from light to light or on the highway. But if you think we belong in a Buick forum or an Oldsmobile forum because we practice safe driving, you need to seriously consider thinking about what's more important. Showing off because we've got nice cars or driving appropriately on public roads which have OTHER drivers on it as well.
Old 03-02-06, 02:11 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, BrianGS430, for getting what I'm saying and elaborate on it.
Old 03-02-06, 02:16 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Thanks, BrianGS430, for getting what I'm saying and elaborate on it.
Hey, no problem man. I'm glad we agreed and I was only trying to get a simple point across.
Old 03-02-06, 02:35 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

I think he meant that he floored it to counterbalance the acceleration that the VSC cut off. I notice myself doing that as well. But I do agree with you. I never floor it to get into traffic; only after I've made the turn and straightened out on the road.
Old 03-02-06, 02:38 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheRupp
I think he meant that he floored it to counterbalance the acceleration that the VSC cut off.
What makes you think so? He says that when he saw an opening in traffic he floored the car to make the turn, and then the VSC kicked in.
Old 03-02-06, 02:52 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by newr
Thanks, but I mean to update the vehicles that currently have the "old" VSC like doing a flash to give it new program.
Then I have to agree with adding the LSD. After I drove Bitkahuna's car with it, it should be an option from the factory! It is flawless!!

Old 03-02-06, 08:56 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This thread reminded me why I have developed a habit of pressing the TRAC button everytime I start my car. I feel like something is missing if that TRAC OFF light is not lit up on my dash.
Old 03-02-06, 09:34 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
What makes you think so? He says that when he saw an opening in traffic he floored the car to make the turn, and then the VSC kicked in.
Good catch. I didn't see that one. That does change things quite a bit. Personally, that's not what I do.
Old 03-02-06, 11:31 PM
Initial B
Lead Lap

Then I have to agree with adding the LSD. After I drove Bitkahuna's car with it, it should be an option from the factory! It is flawless!!
Exactly. A RWD car should come with an open diff or a VSC/LSD combo, but it doesn't necessarily need to come with both (overkill IMO). BTW, this is a gripe I had with my 328is Sport and is why I transplanted an LSD from an M3. SO MUCH better....

People can nutswing on Lexus all they want, but no one besides the original poster was there, and I don't think you can assume he would have went careening out of control without the beloved VSC.

Not trying to pick a fight, but there is so much head-in-the-sand defense of Lexus's nanny-features around here that we certainly don't need people chiming in all the time telling people how dangerous it was to give what they think was too much gas for the conditions they are assuming were present based on what they read in a post.

The fact of the matter is that the driver was really caught off guard because the car interfered with what he was trying to do, which in and of itself could have caused an accident.
Old 03-02-06, 11:42 PM
Initial B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BrianGS430
I agree with the fact that VSC, although created for safety purposes, can become a pain to deal with, and sometimes can become a danger to the driver (which in this case was to get the car moving quickly.).

Making a turn WHILE flooring the gas into heavy traffic does not make you a skilled racer or a worthy driver. It makes you reckless and impatient.

We've all had our races from light to light or on the highway. But if you think we belong in a Buick forum or an Oldsmobile forum because we practice safe driving, you need to seriously consider thinking about what's more important. Showing off because we've got nice cars or driving appropriately on public roads which have OTHER drivers on it as well.
BTW, I don't race on the street nor do I have a need to show off while driving or riding. So we have more in common than my post may indicate. This does not change my stance that I am 100% against a manufacturer taking away my ability/choice to control my own car when circumstances warrant it. Lexus, don't build an automatic sedan with an open diff and obtrusive traction control features and then try telling me that it is a sport sedan. You're better than that.
Old 03-03-06, 07:36 AM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

BTW, I don't race on the street nor do I have a need to show off while driving or riding. So we have more in common than my post may indicate. This does not change my stance that I am 100% against a manufacturer taking away my ability/choice to control my own car when circumstances warrant it. Lexus, don't build an automatic sedan with an open diff and obtrusive traction control features and then try telling me that it is a sport sedan. You're better than that.
That's good that we're on the same page. However, Lexus has not taken away your ability to control your vehicle at all. If we're talking about VSC specifically, there just so happens to be an OFF button located right in front of the center glove compartment.

Exactly. A RWD car should come with an open diff or a VSC/LSD combo, but it doesn't necessarily need to come with both (overkill IMO). BTW, this is a gripe I had with my 328is Sport and is why I transplanted an LSD from an M3. SO MUCH better....

People can nutswing on Lexus all they want, but no one besides the original poster was there, and I don't think you can assume he would have went careening out of control without the beloved VSC.

Not trying to pick a fight, but there is so much head-in-the-sand defense of Lexus's nanny-features around here that we certainly don't need people chiming in all the time telling people how dangerous it was to give what they think was too much gas for the conditions they are assuming were present based on what they read in a post.

The fact of the matter is that the driver was really caught off guard because the car interfered with what he was trying to do, which in and of itself could have caused an accident.
Agreed, Lexus SHOULD build a RWD car with an open differential. Unfortunately, they didn't. And there are tons and tons of reasons why that have already been discussed in a number of other threads.

However, your argument still remains inconclusive. We are assuming what the situation must have been like from what the thread starter posted. That's the most we can do.

If you're going to use the argument that we don't know what the outcome would have been like WITHOUT the VSC, then we can use the same argument against you. What makes you believe that the car WOULDN'T have gone out of control? Generally speaking, any car can perform a powerslide from a deadstop by flooring the gas and turning the wheel. I've seen it done on minivans and SUV's.

Chances are, his car WOULD have gone out of control. Of course, there also is a chance that he would have been fine and the car would have exited without sliding at all. But that chance of that happening is significantly less than what the car would have probably done, and that is performing a fishtail and hitting another car.

We can argue about this all day and night. But I don't think neither of us want to do that. And neither us are trying to start a fight. We're merely stating our opinions and defending our points. No harm done.

Like I said, at CL, we're a family.
Old 03-03-06, 12:02 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I have had a few situations where I have found the VSC to be obtrusive, usually when straightening the car up after entering traffic from a side street and booting the accelerator. For a novice or inexperienced driver, the VSC may save you in a situation like this, but I have been driving for over twenty years and am an accomplished autocrosser and car control goon (ask my brother, Link 13... have had several sideways moments with him in the car- all under control and all done on purpose).

In my few instances of finding the VSC obtrusive, it really kills the acceleration. I can easily drive out of a little side-step if the tires spin (I would obviously not try this in a dangerous area or in the wet); at those moments I needed FORWARD ACCELERATION and I couldn't get it. An LSD would have likely helped things in situations like these, but that's further down the wish list.

There have been occasions where the VSC has really helped, too. Driving a powerful rear-wheel drive car in the rain can be tricky, and it's nice to have the peace of mind.

Overall, the VSC is there for a reason and most of the time it does it's job admirably and as it's intended. At least on the 2GS we can override it when needed.
Old 03-03-06, 06:40 PM
Lexwang07

I had 01 RX300 VSC system not working hard corrected control on raining day in LA! Many times front wheels lost tractions, and when I was push bit harder gas pedel. The VSC system getting old, new VDIM system keep car straight, and under control. Worst problem Lexus vehicles were standard tires suck! All season tires really bad!

Quick Reply: Stupid VSC almost got me into accident.