Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Stupid VSC almost got me into accident.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-06, 10:28 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lexwang07
I had 01 RX300 VSC system not working hard corrected control on raining day in LA! Many times front wheels lost tractions, and when I was push bit harder gas pedel. The VSC system getting old, new VDIM system keep car straight, and under control. Worst problem Lexus vehicles were standard tires suck! All season tires really bad!
I have 0 problems in the snow (and rain, too) with the GS300 AWD and the ES300, both riding on stock tires. The GS430 isn't fun if you're trying to get somewhere (but if you have a wide open area and nowhere to go, it's a different story ), but the VDIM system does help a lot.
Old 12-10-06, 08:58 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Ok, so I'm getting more and more pissed off at this whole VSC, and Lexus in general. Last week, I was making a wide left turn onto a seven lane road (three lines per direction, plus left turn pocket). I pushed the gas pedal rather hard, and was almost finished with the turn doing about 40-45, when the f-ing vsc kicked in, and sweaved the car from left to right a few times. Mind you, before the VSC kicked in, the car was in no way loosing traction, the tires werent squealing or anything. And so, lets fast forward to this morning. I was going to home depot, and made a wide left turn on another seven lane road. This time I had the VSC off, and didn't even push the gas that hard. I was almost finished with the turn, when the car started sweaving from left to right. I was doing about 35-40, the tires didnt squeal, the car nevel lost traction, it just sweaved from left to right, and thats considering that I let go off the gas righ away, and didn't sweave the steering wheel, and didn't touch the brake pedal. Which can only mean one thing - even when shutting VSC off, it doesn't shut off completely, it just shuts off the traction control part.

Needless to say, at this point I am fed up with Lexus. My first gen GS300 never did anything retarded like this, and overall handled much better, even with higher profile tires and all weather tires. My first gen LS400 doesn't do this either. Hell, my old Civic could take these turns at 60-65mph without much drama. But this GS430 is rather annoying. I'm annoyed with VSC, throttle by wire, flimzy door panels, **** poor unpredictable handling, and rather retarded downshifting patterns - it downshifts every time the gas pedal is pressed somewhat hard, but the time it takes to downshift it would be better off just pulling in the gear its already in.

Right now I feel like getting a real car, with no TBW, no VSC and a manual, but I'm sure my wife is gonna tell me to go to hell with that idea. Meanwhile, my obsession with the new RL is growing, so I might just end up with one of these.

Last edited by Och; 12-22-07 at 07:28 AM.
Old 12-10-06, 09:22 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I've only had the VSC kicked in a few times, but that was when I was in an open lot testing out my sway bars I had an acura legend that didnt' have traction control. I can say that car is more fun than my GS400, despite the GS having rwd and more power. A sports sedan should behave like one. I only wish Lexus had put in LSD from the factory. At least that would give the car a merit of being a "sports" sedan.

If I had money saved, the RL would definitely be on the list. SH-AWD would be nice in turns. Then again, A BMW 550 wouldn't be too far down the list either
Old 12-10-06, 09:41 AM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have a 2nd Gen GS, a 99GS400. I think what some of you guys are missing is that there is a (safe) way to let the rears slip in a turn without fishtailing or being dangerous. I'm not talking about an all out drift on public roads, but there's definitely a gray area between the rears slipping enough for the VSC to kick in, and the rears slipping enough for you to be in danger.

I often find the VSC light to come on in a low speed turn when I'm carrying just enough speed for it to be fun, but definitely not enough to get me in trouble (I know becuase when I take those same turns and remember to turn the VSC off the car is nowhere close to losing control, and the tires have plenty of grip left), I don't usually take those turns fast enough for the VSC to completely cut my power (I usually can't even tell it was on until I see the light on the dash and hear that odd 'click-whirr' sound) but the fact that it came on at all is unnecessary
Old 12-10-06, 11:12 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not too sure about VSC, but I think it probably would be the same system that I have in my 4Runner. Honestly, I dont usually push my truck enough for the VSC to engage.

But VDIM, on the other hand, is very helpful when the road are slippery.
Now, that it's raining like crazy here in nor cal, I cant imagine my IS350 without VDIM with my driving style. I wonder which ditch i would say hi to.
Old 12-10-06, 12:23 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,020 Likes on 2,435 Posts

Interesting discussion. Having owned and driven the original TRAC for 13 years now, I say without hesitation it is one of the worst devices ever conceived for dry pavement. Not only does it kill the engine, but it does it at inappropriate times - like exiting a corner at speed, just when you anticipate a little opposite lock and it hits HARD, completely upsets the chassis, and dramatically changes both course and heading in unanticipated ways. In many ways, I think the TT Supra would have been a better car without it. It has nearly caused me to wreck a couple of times when I NEEDED the car to apply power and slide instead of suddenly trying to swap ends with TRAC.

The VDIM system on the IS350 is far less intrusive. Toyota have obviously learned something in the last 13 years about setting up vehicle stability controls. It will interfere, but the only time it does is when the driver is manhandling the car and trying to make it do things that would compromise it anyway. It's still not perfect, but until they license Racelogic's system it won't be.

To anyone who cares - if you want the best traction control, ditch the OEM stuff and put in a Racelogic TC. You can select how much slip you want, and it does soft cuts not hard cuts. You can also really turn it off if you don't want it to interfere. Many Supra owners have said it is the BEST mod they've done to their cars.

And yeah, flooring it from a dead stop to pull out wasn't a good plan. That's why it responded the way it did. Any of the OEM systems would have done the same.
Old 12-10-06, 12:27 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Is there a way to disable that retarded system completely?
Old 12-10-06, 01:01 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,020 Likes on 2,435 Posts

Not without removing a bunch of idiot lights that will be constantly on. If you don't mind the idiot lights you can do some careful disconnecting and get it to disable itself.

Are you the ONLY person driving the car? If you have someone else - maybe the wife? - driving, you may not be happy with a complete disable when she wraps the car around a pole doing something she's always done but the VSC previously prevented.
Old 12-10-06, 01:17 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Actually my wife so far has complained about VSC cutting off power when she needs it, so she wont mind at all.

Which cables do I disconnect to completely disable VSC? I don't care about idiot lights at all, I can disable them if need be.

Also, can someone please confirm that the VSC OFF button does not shut the system off completely?
Old 12-10-06, 07:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,456 Likes on 1,610 Posts

What model Lexus do you have Och? Have you considered putting in an LSD? Huge fun and makes VSC shut up unless you're completely out of control.
Old 12-10-06, 08:22 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

2001 430...
Old 12-10-06, 08:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,456 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
2001 430...
Well stick the Supra diff on it and problem is solved plus your car will be a lot quicker.
Old 12-10-06, 09:35 PM
LexFather

I suggest a BMX

Old 12-11-06, 06:55 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

At speeds over 50 miles per hour, the Lexus GS vsc can get you killed. I had an experience with it 3 years ago prior to my car getting coilovers. I was going around a wet curve on the Belt Parkway a little after Sunrise Highway, and the rear passenger side tire lost grip and the car fish tailed...It started to accelerate & braking on its own to get back on track I am fortunate that there were no other vehicles on next to me as the results could have been deadly.
Old 12-11-06, 07:26 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
At speeds over 50 miles per hour, the Lexus GS vsc can get you killed. I had an experience with it 3 years ago prior to my car getting coilovers. I was going around a wet curve on the Belt Parkway a little after Sunrise Highway, and the rear passenger side tire lost grip and the car fish tailed...It started to accelerate & braking on its own to get back on track I am fortunate that there were no other vehicles on next to me as the results could have been deadly.
Yeah, I know that curve damn well, its right before Cross Island Parkway. When I was modifying my old Honda, I used to test it on that curve all the time, but going towards Brooklyn, where the curve is tighter. The civic used to take it comfortably at 80mph, 85mph was a bit uneasy, anything faster I didn't have the ***** to.

Quick Reply: Stupid VSC almost got me into accident.