Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Stupid VSC almost got me into accident.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-06, 01:04 PM
LexFather

I can pretty much say no one has driven their 2GS harder than me and the only thing VSC has done was save my *** more than once. Most here would agree with this statement.

I suggest the LSD like bitkahuna said as it gives the best of both worlds.

I would say 99% of the time VSC has kicked in, I was breaking the law or doing something stupid like speeding in the rain.

I can say the few times I had it OFF and I did something stupid, I had to really overcompensate for losing control. Cool on the track, RETARDED on a public road.

VSC is not the best system but IMO a good one and I believe even base Scions have it.

Old 12-11-06, 01:28 PM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I suggest a BMX
You're SICK, LEX
Old 12-11-06, 01:32 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
At speeds over 50 miles per hour, the Lexus GS vsc can get you killed. I had an experience with it 3 years ago prior to my car getting coilovers. I was going around a wet curve on the Belt Parkway a little after Sunrise Highway, and the rear passenger side tire lost grip and the car fish tailed...It started to accelerate & braking on its own to get back on track I am fortunate that there were no other vehicles on next to me as the results could have been deadly.
Excuse me, but you managed to lose grip in the first place, and the VSC did the right thing to cut in and correct the situation. Without it the car most likely would've continued to fishtail and put you in greater danger. So what's your complaint again?

Last edited by XeroK00L; 12-11-06 at 01:40 PM.
Old 12-11-06, 01:41 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Excuse me, but you managed to lose grip in the first place, and the VSC did the right thing to cut in and correct the situation. Without it the car most likely would've continued to fishtail and put you in greater danger. So what's your complaint again?
Well it "cut in" by accelerating and decelerating . It actually made the situation worse. I had to overcompensate by utilizing the brakes and counter steering. I am lucky that i did not hit a wall or another vehicle. I've driven other cars on closed coses at the limit and the stabilty control system would not react in the same fashion as my situation. No brand loyalty on my part. I am talking from experience.
Old 12-11-06, 02:10 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Well it "cut in" by accelerating and decelerating . It actually made the situation worse. I had to overcompensate by utilizing the brakes and counter steering. I am lucky that i did not hit a wall or another vehicle. I've driven other cars on closed coses at the limit and the stabilty control system would not react in the same fashion as my situation. No brand loyalty on my part. I am talking from experience.
Well I don't know exactly how bad your loss of grip and fishtailing were so I can't say if the VSC did the right thing or not for that very incident of yours, which could differ greatly from your autocrossing experiences just as well. All I know is the VSC on my ES300 saved my butt once when I got off the ramp too quickly on a rainy day. The tail was sliding out and the VSC immediately cut in and stopped the slide. What it did to make the sliding stop, to be honest, I don't know. It was quite abrupt but it did get the job done (that's why we now have VDIM to make the intervention less abrupt). I'm very sure the car was on its way to totally spin out if neither I nor the car did anything to correct it.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 12-11-06 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12-11-06, 04:39 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Very common and one of the largest issues with earlier Lexus cars. Very dangerous in situations as you explained. In 99.999999999999999% of the time the think kicked in on me, only once was I ,"going to go sideways" and it was deliberate. There have been numerous times where it sucked all of the power from the car. Wife hates the feature as well as I do. LSD does help. Well, the earlier LSD units do.
Old 12-12-06, 08:37 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Well I don't know exactly how bad your loss of grip and fishtailing were so I can't say if the VSC did the right thing or not for that very incident of yours, which could differ greatly from your autocrossing experiences just as well. All I know is the VSC on my ES300 saved my butt once when I got off the ramp too quickly on a rainy day. The tail was sliding out and the VSC immediately cut in and stopped the slide. What it did to make the sliding stop, to be honest, I don't know. It was quite abrupt but it did get the job done (that's why we now have VDIM to make the intervention less abrupt). I'm very sure the car was on its way to totally spin out if neither I nor the car did anything to correct it.
it is TRC that cuts the power off, and VSC brakes individual wheels in order to keep the car under control. People confuse those things.

TRC detects wheel slippage and according to the severity, it cuts off gas. However I never had experience where slight ease on the gas wouldnt stop it from working.

people underestimate RWD cars. Depending on conditions of the road, tires and whatnot, you RWD can easily spin.

I spun with V6 Mustang when I went over small pudle with one tire. It was dark and I never saw it until later on. I kicked the gas maybe half way, but it was V6 AT mustang! No VSC.

I spun with my MRS, by simply going over small bump that I never saw, in slight turn. When that tire came back to the road, I lost control, thank god for fast reactions and people going off the road so I wouldnt hit them. No VSC.

In neither of those two situations I didnt think there would be any problems. So it is hard to say when you would have spun or not with VSC. Obviously, TRC wouldnt be turned on unless wheels lost contact with the road.