Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda Ridgeline, so ugly, it tries to cover itself.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-06, 01:22 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

this is completely retarded on honda's side. i don't know what's their reasoning but it's just stupid and ridiculous for them to make claims like this. i mean, having dirt and that's a problem? man if i work at a construction site, just by going in and out of that entry it's already dirt and what not......

and for crying out loud, they make a big *** truck like this for what? soccer mums picking up their kids? it's nothing different from saying the gx470 and the lx470, you take the car off road and bam all warranties all gone right there.....

just dumb..... i can't believe this is what honda is doing. talk about shady business.

i thought they would learn their mistake from their v6 trannies back in 01-03, but apparently they just "mastered" it....
Old 07-09-06, 03:41 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That is pretty lame of the Honda rep to say that. There is no excuse for that lame answer. Honda should just get the damn problem fixed. Why risk any future public criticism?
Old 07-09-06, 08:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Wow how ironic. I handled a claim for one of my insureds for this EXACT same scenario. My insured was driving his Ridgeline on a smooth road going about 40mph and the side airbags just deployed for no reason. He didn't hit anything, there were no road hazards (potholes, bumps, etc), and it was a clear day. He took his Ridgeline back to the Honda dealership he purchased it, left it in service and as soon as the tech's looked at it, they told him "this is definitely an insurance claim, go file it with your company". I end up getting the claim and find out whats happening. In the mean time, American Honda sent one of their regional reps to inspect the vehicle. They put it on a lift and went over it with my colleague and the Honda factory rep said to him, "Yep, there is evidence of dirt and mud under here showing that this car has been offroading and there is a small bend in the exhaust heat shield, so we are not responsible for your airbags deploying prematurely". Needless to say, my insured was pissed, I did advise him there was no claim because it wasn't classified a collision or a comprehensive claim and he was pretty sure it wasn't an insurance company situation. I told my insured to file a report with NHTSA, BBB. He ended up seeking an attorney's guidance the next day.

As for my opinion on the Ridgeline and the Honda Service and Honda Factory Rep's attitude when inspecting the vehicle....it's beyond acceptable. It was funny because my insured bought the Honda Ridgeline coming from a history of F150's and Silverados. He decided to give Honda a try this time around because he has had a good history with Honda cars in the past. He mentioned to me how misleading Honda's commercials showing the Ridgeline in offroad situations, but their service dept and factory reps are saying the airbags deployed because there is evidence of dirt/mud in the undercarriage implying my insured took his truck off roading. Shame on Honda.
Did you or your colleague point out to the Honda rep that the Ridgeline, like the Element and CR-V, is rated by Honda ITSELF for a limited amount of off-roading? ( as long as you don't try and turn it into a mountain goat, of course ). That's the very first thing I would have told him....and showed it to him in Honda's literature. Sounds to me like this guy was walking around with his head in the sand like an ostrich.
Old 07-09-06, 05:55 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Did you or your colleague point out to the Honda rep that the Ridgeline, like the Element and CR-V, is rated by Honda ITSELF for a limited amount of off-roading? ( as long as you don't try and turn it into a mountain goat, of course ). That's the very first thing I would have told him....and showed it to him in Honda's literature. Sounds to me like this guy was walking around with his head in the sand like an ostrich.
Yup, both my collegue and I talked to both service advisor and Honda factory rep. We knew for a fact their only excuse was the kicked up traces of mud in the undercarriage, but it was pretty clear that was the only alibi they had and they kept reiterating it too. We also argued with them saying, "What kind of commercials and literature are you guys portraying with this truck, it's light dirt trails. Don't you think this is false advertising?" The 2 Honda guys just stared with a puzzled look on their faces.
Old 07-09-06, 07:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Yup, both my collegue and I talked to both service advisor and Honda factory rep. We knew for a fact their only excuse was the kicked up traces of mud in the undercarriage, but it was pretty clear that was the only alibi they had and they kept reiterating it too. We also argued with them saying, "What kind of commercials and literature are you guys portraying with this truck, it's light dirt trails. Don't you think this is false advertising?" The 2 Honda guys just stared with a puzzled look on their faces.
lol, i think honda is going to lose one way or the other