Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus: Sometimes 'free' is no bargain

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-06, 11:14 PM
LexFather

Post Lexus: Sometimes 'free' is no bargain

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...=7323728069223

Lexus: Sometimes 'free' is no bargain

Automotive News / February 20, 2006 - 6:00 am

Advertisement
Click Here!
With many luxury brands dialing back on free maintenance programs, there was scuttlebutt that Lexus might swoop in to pick up the slack, offering such a program for the first time.

It's not gonna happen, says Bob Carter, general manager of Lexus Division.

"Free maintenance is a source of customer dissatisfaction and dealer dissatisfaction," Carter said in an interview at the National Automobile Dealers Association convention in Orlando, Fla.

Most factory-recommended service intervals are 7,500 miles. But many luxury customers -- especially those in their first luxury vehicle -- want more frequent service, Carter said.

"The customer is ticked off because the dealer tells him he has to wait for 7,500 miles, or else the service is coming out of the customer's pocket," Carter said. "But the customer is saying, 'Hey, I paid for this when I bought the car.' He isn't necessarily mad at the manufacturer, but he is mad at the dealer. I think it's just bad business."

Old 03-01-06, 11:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i totally agree, i don't think free maintenanance is a good idea. seriously, if you know what you are doing (and not just let dealership rip you off), doing maintenance on your car shouldn't be an exceptionally expensive thing -- provided the car is of good quality and reliabiltiy
Old 03-02-06, 04:57 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

The first 2 scheduled maintainence for a new Lexus is free in Canada.
Old 03-02-06, 05:29 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree, "free maintenance" is not such a good thing. My wife's BMW X5 went in for the first oil change/maintenance session at 15,000 miles. The dealer did not change the engine filter or the wipers, stating they did not need to be changed and that If I want them changed I would have to pay for it. After showing them the wipers were worthless and you could not see out the windshield after using them, they finally changed them but really made you feel like it is all you and the wipers were fine. I also complained about the engine filter and the fact she drives on gravel/dirt roads at least once a week, they chaned it but again made me feel like it should not be changed. I saw the old filter, it should have been changed. When you buy the car, they don't tell you all the little details about these programs and with us, we were pissed about how they deal with problems. They should just change out items that need to be changed with no questions asked. When I questioned the service tech on when the wipers should be changed, he said about once a year. When I asked him why they did not change them out since it has been 13 months since it was bought (it was new) and I requested they change them since all they do is smear the dirt around, he could not answer the question. Idiots! All they do is give you a hard time for something that should be a simple issue - replace items that don't work like they should.
Old 03-02-06, 09:00 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
The first 2 scheduled maintainence for a new Lexus is free in Canada.
here in the US only the 5000 miles service is free. but then again, it's just an oil change

Originally Posted by CdeFabio
I agree, "free maintenance" is not such a good thing. My wife's BMW X5 went in for the first oil change/maintenance session at 15,000 miles. The dealer did not change the engine filter or the wipers, stating they did not need to be changed and that If I want them changed I would have to pay for it. After showing them the wipers were worthless and you could not see out the windshield after using them, they finally changed them but really made you feel like it is all you and the wipers were fine. I also complained about the engine filter and the fact she drives on gravel/dirt roads at least once a week, they chaned it but again made me feel like it should not be changed. I saw the old filter, it should have been changed. When you buy the car, they don't tell you all the little details about these programs and with us, we were pissed about how they deal with problems. They should just change out items that need to be changed with no questions asked. When I questioned the service tech on when the wipers should be changed, he said about once a year. When I asked him why they did not change them out since it has been 13 months since it was bought (it was new) and I requested they change them since all they do is smear the dirt around, he could not answer the question. Idiots! All they do is give you a hard time for something that should be a simple issue - replace items that don't work like they should.
very funny story trust me, 13 months is not a yr yet
Old 03-02-06, 10:54 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
very funny story trust me, 13 months is not a yr yet
LOL! Lexus service is so much better!
Old 03-02-06, 11:58 AM
chiawei
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CdeFabio
Don't confuse poor dealership with benefit of free maint.

Your free maint. stated what needed to be replaced clearly. Also what engine filter are you talking about?

In addition, wipers are covered but there is no schedule set forth by BMW, it is you that need to request the wiper to be replaced. Yes, BMW dealership at times can be an a$$ to deal with. But shoot the dealer not the free maint program.

Free maint is a great feature. BMW uses way better materials hence it can afford to stretch out the service interval. Lexus on the other hand does not uses same high level of material and simply milk you for more $$$$ for more service interval.

Also, what hell is lexus thinking? Customer wants more service???? Like i have nothing better to do than take my time to drop off the car off to get serviced and pay for it.

I am very happy with free maint. program. I was actually very pissed off when DCX cancelled free maint after 2004.

You guys are buying into too much BS on this matter.
Old 03-02-06, 12:05 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,361 Posts

I'd be just fine with the free maintenance at the intervals they suggest. If I ever buy a BMW or Mercedes I'd plan to lease it only within the primary warranty period, drive it hard and give it back. Wouldn't care a bit if the thing conked out at 75K because it'd be someone elses problem .
Old 03-02-06, 12:30 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me guess... If they didn't offer "free maintenance" and people had to pay everything out of their pocket ranging from the wiper blades, oil change, brake pads, brake sensors...and etc... then people would be much happier!!!?

I have a simple question for people who think free maint is a BAD IDEA.

Person A bought the ES350 for $40K without the "free maint". A year later, Lexus offers "free main". Then, person B bought the ES350 for $40K with the 4yr/50K miles"free maint". Who is happier? A or B?

Last edited by newr; 03-02-06 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-02-06, 01:43 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 295 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by chiawei
Free maint is a great feature. BMW uses way better materials hence it can afford to stretch out the service interval. Lexus on the other hand does not uses same high level of material and simply milk you for more $$$$ for more service interval.
Better materials? Please be more specific as to what these "better" materials are.

I am very curious to know what inferior "materials" Lexus uses as opposed to the better materials that BMW uses.................
Old 03-02-06, 01:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by newr
Let me guess... If they didn't offer "free maintenance" and people had to pay everything out of their pocket ranging from the wiper blades, oil change, brake pads, brake sensors...and etc... then people would be much happier!!!?

I have a simple question for people who think free maint is a BAD IDEA.

Person A bought the ES350 for $40K without the "free maint". A year later, Lexus offers "free main". Then, person B bought the ES350 for $40K with the 4yr/50K miles"free maint". Who is happier? A or B?
umm, i am not sure about others, but i never said that free maint is bad idea for customers. of course it would be great, and personally i appreciate the 5k free maint i got. but i think it's just a bad idea for manufacturers, i just think it will kinda hurt their reputation. like i said, if a car is of good quality and reliability, maint cost shouldn't be too much during the first couple of yrs.
Old 03-02-06, 02:04 PM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

I have nothing against the free maintenance, but the dealers need to be more upfront with the customers and ask what their needs are and when something is not working or needs replacing, replace it...no questions asked. Just treat people the right way and they will come back.