Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Top Ten Vehicles Owned by Billionaires

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-06, 07:53 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read this book called "The Millionaire Next Door" those ppl would be considered "Big Hat, No Cattle".

Meaning they waste their money on fancy cars. Real millionaires "buy their cars by the pound" because the studies were done before imports were big, and it was basically you had a BMW or you had a Chevy.
Old 03-03-06, 07:56 AM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2ndchance
<insert Samuel Jackson 'English, do you speak it?' macro here>

ALLOW ME TO TRANSLATE:

Bill Gates has an incredibly comfortable Porsche 959! That is a rare Porsche in America. Porsche built the 959 for sport and comfort. It is my all time favorite Porsche vehicle, so much so that I owned a die cast model of it around 17 years ago! These billionaires have smaller car collections than Jay Leno. This is indeed strange. Jay Leno has hundreds of cars in his warehouse, putting to shame mere rap stars. The amount of money he has spent on cars is insane. To summarize: Bill Gates is a Porsche fan! Go Bill.

Bill is also a Lexus Fan, thought he owned a LX as well. and he uses lexus in some of his movies, like minority report.

Saw on VH1 he has like , forgot how many kids but he has to many to be legal, but anyways hes only leaving hids like 0.02 or 0.01 something like that of his fortune, and their a** are still gonna be loaded, they said like 2.8 billion each for each kid. wish i was related to him
Old 03-03-06, 12:21 PM
KneeShoe00
Lexus Test Driver

I respect their crazy money.

BUT MYSELFFFFFFFFFF

I would personally...........have..............cars such as

Pagani Zonda F, Many different Lambos, Many Ferraris, ManY Porsches, many Rolls Royce's, many Bentleys....etc....and I need.......cars, bikes, expensive toys.........just because I can afford them...sick...
Old 03-03-06, 05:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndchance
ALLOW ME TO TRANSLATE:
LMAO. Show-off.
Old 03-03-06, 06:02 PM
LexFather

Maybe most of them are just not into cars?

I figure they are so busy, they probably have a chauffer and get DRIVEN.

Old 03-04-06, 06:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Maybe most of them are just not into cars?

I figure they are so busy, they probably have a chauffer and get DRIVEN.
Yes...good point. We hear a lot about what a " car guy " Bob Lutz is, for instance....and having flown fighter jets in the Marine Corps. But...does he drive himself ? No...he lounges in the back of a chauffer-driven Cadillac. You cannot know much about cars and driving that way. Recently, though, he has announced plans to switch to a new Buick Lucerne...a car I reviewed several months ago and had a rather low opinion of despite his hyping of it. We don't know whether or not he will drive it himself. If so, I don't think much of his taste in cars....the Lucerne is both rather uncomfortable ( for a Buick ) and poorly-built.
Now, by contrast, look at Enzo Ferrari...the guy mentioned in my first post. He personally didn't care for sports cars ( he looked on them only as a buisness ) and drove an econo-tinbox as his personal car, but at least he DROVE it.
Old 03-04-06, 07:05 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes...good point. We hear a lot about what a " car guy " Bob Lutz is, for instance....and having flown fighter jets in the Marine Corps. But...does he drive himself ? No...he lounges in the back of a chauffer-driven Cadillac. You cannot know much about cars and driving that way. Recently, though, he has announced plans to switch to a new Buick Lucerne...a car I reviewed several months ago and had a rather low opinion of despite his hyping of it. We don't know whether or not he will drive it himself. If so, I don't think much of his taste in cars....the Lucerne is both rather uncomfortable ( for a Buick ) and poorly-built.
Now, by contrast, look at Enzo Ferrari...the guy mentioned in my first post. He personally didn't care for sports cars ( he looked on them only as a buisness ) and drove an econo-tinbox as his personal car, but at least he DROVE it.
Good point. Also, I wonder if they are "scared" to drive, b/c an accident could occur and they would get sued like nuts, no matter if they are right or wrong.

Those people live on Earth, but in a different world

Old 03-04-06, 07:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Good point. Also, I wonder if they are "scared" to drive, b/c an accident could occur and they would get sued like nuts, no matter if they are right or wrong.
If Enzo ever had any kind of real accident in that Fiat 128 he wouldn't have to worry about a lawsuit.
Old 03-04-06, 01:19 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

When you are rich enough to buy a whole automaker, why care about what car you drive? But the one who drives that old white Volvo is just ridiculous......
Old 03-04-06, 03:27 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Some people are so frugal I guess its almost like a disease.

I agree with having your priorities straight.. but crap there is no point in being that wealthy if you don't know how to live.
Old 03-05-06, 02:49 AM
2ndchance
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
But the one who drives that old white Volvo is just ridiculous......

Originally Posted by Forbes
Founder of the Swedish furniture and home goods company IKEA, Ingvar Kamprad is the proud owner of a 13-year-old Volvo 240 GL. Though he may own a Volvo, Kamprad still takes the bus and even uses his pensioners’ discount card, as he explained in a rare 1999 interview. Despite being a double-digit billionaire, Kamprad also still flies economy class and avoids luxury hotels. In fact, in his self-scribed 1976 Bible, “A Furniture Dealer's Testament,” Kamprad decries that “IKEA people do not drive flashy cars or stay at luxury hotels.” Indeed, Ingvar Kamprad practices what he preaches.
He sounds so completely down to earth, as well as sounding happy. Who are we to say how he should live? As long as he's enjoying himself, he can spend his money however he wants, or doesn't want. Ingvar seems to be one of the only examples of 'you don't need money to be happy'.

Or, 'You don't have to be rich, just smart'.
Old 03-05-06, 11:48 AM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pvmike1
I work for one who will only buy/drive Lexus LS430's. He tells everyone to buy Lexus. Smart man.
The billionaire that I know drives himself, and logs over 20k miles a year here in SoCal. To him, a car is just a car, a means of transportation . His main selection criteria: reliability, safety, and a quiet, comfortable ride. If the car breaks down, the great cost to him is not the repair of the vehicle, but rather the time wasted and/or meeting missed.

Like I said, smart man.
Old 03-05-06, 05:20 PM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

didnt bill gates drive an LS? haha that guy road coach to on his flights.. props :-D
Old 03-05-06, 06:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Brandicus
didnt bill gates drive an LS? haha that guy road coach to on his flights.. props :-D
No, Gates didn't drive an LS. It was either an SC or a GS.....perhaps BOTH.

Interesting how Gates......Mr. Computer himself.......doesn't drive a new Chris Bangle 7-series, perhaps the most computerized conventional car of all next to hybrids. Shows you what he must think of I-Drive. ( He also is probably chauffered )
Old 03-05-06, 06:37 PM
Corey140
Intermediate

No, Gates didn't drive an LS. It was either an SC or a GS.....perhaps BOTH.
Are you sure? I remember a few months back on EBAY, someone was selling an early model LS400 that was registered by Bill Gates. It had the original license plate and regisration etc etc in it....

Quick Reply: Top Ten Vehicles Owned by Billionaires