Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tampa Company Suing Toyota over Hybrid Transmission.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-06, 12:15 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tampa Company Suing Toyota over Hybrid Transmission.

A technology company is taking aim at Toyota, saying that the company's gas-electric hybrid Prius and Highlander vehicles infringe on its U.S. patents.

Solomon Technologies, Inc. announced today that it has expanded its litigation against Toyota by filing a complaint with the United States International Trade Commission (ITC) in Washington D.C. This action is in addition to the action already filed in the United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida last September.

The ITC acts as an administrative investigative body to determine, among other things, whether or not goods imported into the United States infringe U.S. patents.

Solomon president Peter W. DeVecchis, Jr., said, "The filing of the ITC complaint is the next step in our effort to fully prosecute the alleged infringement by Toyota and to protect our valuable intellectual property. We believe that the ITC's streamlined administrative process, as well as the technical depth of the ITC staff, will be helpful in expediting and supporting our claims." He continued, "While the ITC can not assess damages against an infringer, it can issue an exclusion order prohibiting the importation of infringing technology. We will continue our effort to protect our intellectual property to the fullest extent possible."

Solomon brought suit against Toyota Motor Corporation, Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. Inc. and Toyota Motor Manufacturing North America in the United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida, Tampa Division, on September 12, 2005, claiming infringement of a number of claims in Solomon's U.S. Patent Number 5,067,932, primarily relating to Toyota's use of the technology in its Prius and Highlander Hybrid vehicles.

If Solomon were successful in its ITC action, Toyota could be prohibited from importing into the United States infringing combination motor and transmission systems and those products containing such systems, including the Toyota Prius and Highlander models.

I wonder what implications this would have on the sales of the Hybrids... or if anything, the royalties of the hottest selling cars ON THE PLANET...
Old 03-02-06, 12:20 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I remember reading about this a while ago, but I still haven't heard any updates. Solomon apparently filed the lawsuit 9/12/05 but no updates thus far.
Old 03-02-06, 12:23 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheRupp
I remember reading about this a while ago, but I still haven't heard any updates. Solomon apparently filed the lawsuit 9/12/05 but no updates thus far.

I heard about it this morning on the news... I think the case is about to start or something.
Old 03-02-06, 12:27 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200581&hightlight=patent
Old 03-02-06, 12:54 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

As i imagine... most of us here are supporters of Toyota (as am I). But what stinks about this is that Toyota came to them when in development of the transmission to power the hybrid vehicles. They consulted with a slew of companies with different designs for the tranny to propel the hybrids, and eventually chose a design. If this is a case where Toyota did steal someone's design concept, then they should have to pay. But, let's not be hasty to make out Toyota to be all high and mighty. They are, after all, after the bottom dollar.