Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

SC430 vs SC400/300

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-06, 08:53 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC430 vs SC400/300

Is the SC430 a next-gen version of the SC400/300, or is it a completely different model with a similar name?

What other companies have done this? MB was going to do it with the G-class before they had a change of heart. BMW is loathe to do an M1, although if that were to count, you'd have to consider all the Ford GT40's, Dodge Challengers, Chevy Camaros, and Lamborghini Miuras that had the same name after a long time gap. Lexus's nomenclature/model changeover was pretty contiguous, right?
Old 03-04-06, 09:18 PM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should be the next gen.

~Josh
Old 03-05-06, 11:49 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

imho the only similarity between them is nothing more than the word "SC". seriously, i think the cars are just too different
Old 03-05-06, 12:18 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
imho the only similarity between them is nothing more than the word "SC". seriously, i think the cars are just too different
I agree, but look at the jump that the IS300 and IS350 made from each other. Those are COMPLETELY differnent vehicles without a stitch of similarity in them.
Old 03-05-06, 01:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Here's the answer, Incendiary.

The first-generation SC300/430 was built from 1991 to 2000 using either the same 3.0 straight-six that was used in the GS300 and later IS300, or the 4.0L V8 also used in the LS400. They were basically the same car with different powertrains. The SC300 for a time was available with a manual transmission. Then, production started in 1991on the completely different current second-generation 2002 SC430...an Audi TT look-alike with a metal retractible roof. ( Flip can step in if he wants to and give us the engine codes )

Two mistakes were made here, IMO. First, the gorgeous body style of the first-generation cars were dropped. They are real classics and perhaps the most beautiful cars Lexus ever built. If change was inevitable they could have at least kept it to a minimum...they didn't. Second, they dropped the SC300 line on the second-generation car and went with the 4.3 V8 only. Although the car did ( and still does ) have a stunning interior this insured that you would have to cough up at least 60-65K to get a new one. The second-generation car, without a cheaper V6 , straight-6, or non-retractible hardtop-coupe version that would have kept the price down, IMO simply became too expensive and too complex for many people...and looked goofy as well.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-05-06 at 01:09 PM.
Old 03-05-06, 02:35 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

I guess its considered the next gen car..

But I would not trade it for the next gen, ok I would, just so I could sell it and buy 5-6 5 speed sc300s in its place.

But I do believe SC which was supposed to be the coupe of the lexi strayed too far from its roots.
Old 03-05-06, 04:59 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

It is not considered the next gen. It's a completely new car. All the other Lexus have stayed similar within the lines of their body code.
Old 03-05-06, 06:53 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall

The first-generation SC300/430 was built from 1991 to 2000 using either the same 3.0 straight-six that was used in the GS300 and later IS300, or the 4.0L V8 also used in the LS400. They were basically the same car with different powertrains. The SC300 for a time was available with a manual transmission. Then, production started in 1991on the completely different current second-generation 2002 SC430...an Audi TT look-alike with a metal retractible roof. ( Flip can step in if he wants to and give us the engine codes )

Two mistakes were made here, IMO. First, the gorgeous body style of the first-generation cars were dropped. They are real classics and perhaps the most beautiful cars Lexus ever built. If change was inevitable they could have at least kept it to a minimum...they didn't. Second, they dropped the SC300 line on the second-generation car and went with the 4.3 V8 only. Although the car did ( and still does ) have a stunning interior this insured that you would have to cough up at least 60-65K to get a new one. The second-generation car, without a cheaper V6 , straight-6, or non-retractible hardtop-coupe version that would have kept the price down, IMO simply became too expensive and too complex for many people...and looked goofy as well.
I don't think Lexus is or was looking to make the SC a car for most people. I truly respect your knowledge of cars for a number of reasons. I also agree with your assesment of the SC430 resembling the TT or even MB's SLK however there is nothing goofy about the SC430. I felt that way 5 yrs ago the first time I saw one and Still share the same sentiment whenever I hop into mine and witness the numerous jaw drops and waves. That said, previous SC was beautiful in it's day but in no way did I ever see the same response/feeling 10+ yrs ago in the 1st Gen SC. just my take as a SC430 owner who obviously may have a bias but have driven both extensively enough to observe and evaluate the 2 great cars.
Old 03-05-06, 10:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
It is not considered the next gen. It's a completely new car. All the other Lexus have stayed similar within the lines of their body code.
yup, that's what i meant, totally different. the 1sc was more of a sport coupe, but the sc430 is a luxury cuiser. it's a big turn from the first gen imho.
Old 03-06-06, 12:31 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexLaw
I don't think Lexus is or was looking to make the SC a car for most people. I truly respect your knowledge of cars for a number of reasons. I also agree with your assesment of the SC430 resembling the TT or even MB's SLK however there is nothing goofy about the SC430. I felt that way 5 yrs ago the first time I saw one and Still share the same sentiment whenever I hop into mine and witness the numerous jaw drops and waves. That said, previous SC was beautiful in it's day but in no way did I ever see the same response/feeling 10+ yrs ago in the 1st Gen SC. just my take as a SC430 owner who obviously may have a bias but have driven both extensively enough to observe and evaluate the 2 great cars.
10+ years ago most people were frowning upon Lexus as a brand. So of course you wouldn't get the same reaction.
After a few years in the business they've gotten more reputation and respect. Now Lexus is a status mark. It's a smart buy too so you don't look like a moron with a German luxury vehicle on the side of the road waiting to be towed.
Old 03-06-06, 01:12 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Koma
10+ years ago most people were frowning upon Lexus as a brand. So of course you wouldn't get the same reaction.
After a few years in the business they've gotten more reputation and respect. Now Lexus is a status mark. It's a smart buy too so you don't look like a moron with a German luxury vehicle on the side of the road waiting to be towed.
well, yes and no. roll in a fully loaded ls430 and trust me you won't turn as many heads as the sc430. that's what the car does. it's something special about it that turns people's heads.

yeah talk about what my wife loves about the car
Old 03-06-06, 02:43 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Style is dependant on one's taste only, yours being obvious for reasons you would only know as well as others -myself included. For all of your post in the car chat forum you should realize that regardless of how timeless a style is, eventually it will become dated and the SC300/400 sales towards the end reflect the publics opinion to the old cars not too mention the declining market for coupes in general which continue to this date-aka 645-650 series which still do not sell as well as the SC430.

A manufacturer simply cannot continue with a ,"similar" style and hope for continued success keeping in mind that a company is a company only if it is profitable and we all know how well Toyota brings home the bottom line. Lexus as well as other companies understood that the Coupe market went south quick and readjusted their target audience with the new SC. They were not interested in putting out something to appease old SC owners as the market dictated that doing so would not be profitable and Lexus brought on board many consumers that never looked at Lexus before.

Also ,just because someone cannot afford a car or is not willing to pay the entrance fee should not detract from it's real attributes that it affords for those that can acquire one. Personally I am glad that Lexus never offered a 6 cylinder in the SC430. Offering those engines just cheapens a model IMO. I am sure many here will disagree ,but an SC430 is just that, a fully loaded car with a V8 and nothing less.

Keeping in mind that I have actually owned all 3 of those.
Old 03-06-06, 05:39 AM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Style is dependant on one's taste only, yours being obvious for reasons you would only know as well as others -myself included. For all of your post in the car chat forum you should realize that regardless of how timeless a style is, eventually it will become dated and the SC300/400 sales towards the end reflect the publics opinion to the old cars not too mention the declining market for coupes in general which continue to this date-aka 645-650 series which still do not sell as well as the SC430.

A manufacturer simply cannot continue with a ,"similar" style and hope for continued success keeping in mind that a company is a company only if it is profitable and we all know how well Toyota brings home the bottom line. Lexus as well as other companies understood that the Coupe market went south quick and readjusted their target audience with the new SC. They were not interested in putting out something to appease old SC owners as the market dictated that doing so would not be profitable and Lexus brought on board many consumers that never looked at Lexus before.

Also ,just because someone cannot afford a car or is not willing to pay the entrance fee should not detract from it's real attributes that it affords for those that can acquire one. Personally I am glad that Lexus never offered a 6 cylinder in the SC430. Offering those engines just cheapens a model IMO. I am sure many here will disagree ,but an SC430 is just that, a fully loaded car with a V8 and nothing less.

Keeping in mind that I have actually owned all 3 of those.
You're a Scholar and a Gentleman. That's exactly what the SC430 is and why it was created as a "successor" to the old SC 300/400. Before I purchased the SC430 I was glad it was never offered in a scaled down V6/Fixed roof version and that sentiment has not changed. Just as I'm not looking to see a V6 LS. Just as MB and its enthusiasts (and remember thats our direct competitor) don't want a V6 SL or S Class here in the U.S.