Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

G35 pricing? vs. new ES 350

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-06, 09:37 PM
webbah
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G35 pricing? vs. new ES 350

I know, I know - apples to oranges comparisons on the cars but the IS350 just doesn't have enough rear room for me and I hated the Audi A4. I've narrowed it down to an Infiniti G35 and am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the ES 350 with the extra horsepower.

But - you all seem so knowledgeable and I haven't bought a new car in over 11 years! I see people throwing pricing around on various makes and models.

So - I might as well ask - what should I expect to pay for a G35 with the Premium B package and the Aero package? It "invoices" for just over $36K....................any pricing advice? I don't want to overpay. Obviously.

Thanks!

Jim
Old 03-05-06, 09:52 PM
webbah
Driver School Candidate

Oops - I am tired - sorry - first off - I'm talking the G35 Auto RWD sedan. Secondly - the invoice is 33,587.00 - not 36K. Thanks.

J
Old 03-05-06, 10:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

umm, first of all, let me ask you, do you want to have fun in the car, toss it around a bit and enjoy the driving part, or you want a comfortable family ride where everyone will enjoy the quiet moment?
Old 03-06-06, 05:12 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Just get the G35, and I'm sure you can easily drop that price down to 31k (no navi)
Old 03-06-06, 05:30 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by webbah
Oops - I am tired - sorry - first off - I'm talking the G35 Auto RWD sedan. Secondly - the invoice is 33,587.00 - not 36K. Thanks.

J
You could probably get it for a couple hundred over invoice if you work hard - but like rominl mentioned I think the choice might depend more on what you expect out of the car than the pricing. The G35 and ES350 are going to be very, very different vehicles. I love my G35, but I don't use it as a family mover, and remember a new model will be out in '07, so this is the current models last year.
Old 03-06-06, 06:54 AM
LexFather

I know, I know - apples to oranges comparisons on the cars but the IS350 just doesn't have enough rear room for me and I hated the Audi A4. I've narrowed it down to an Infiniti G35 and am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the ES 350 with the extra horsepower.

But - you all seem so knowledgeable and I haven't bought a new car in over 11 years! I see people throwing pricing around on various makes and models.

So - I might as well ask - what should I expect to pay for a G35 with the Premium B package and the Aero package? It "invoices" for just over $36K....................any pricing advice? I don't want to overpay. Obviously.

Thanks!

Jim
You buying or leasing? In Atlanta, you can get a G35 for $199 a month with no issues and there are quite a few from 28k-30k with sunroof/leather.

Clearly, your best bet is to show the salesman interest in the newer cars, teh 330 and IS 350 and tell them you looked at those, that will make the salesman play more aggresively.

I wouldn't pay over invoice, since the new G35 is around the corner.

Welcome and good luck

Old 03-06-06, 11:03 AM
webbah
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rominl
umm, first of all, let me ask you, do you want to have fun in the car, toss it around a bit and enjoy the driving part, or you want a comfortable family ride where everyone will enjoy the quiet moment?
Great question - but unfortunately - one I don't know the answer to right now. I went into this thinking I wanted a comfortable, quiet family ride - but after I drove that G35 - I had such a blast driving it that I don't know what I want anymore. I am leaning towards the G35 - my wife wants the Lexus - but it'll be my car - so essentially my decision in the end.

But the ES350 might satisfy both desires???
Old 03-06-06, 11:05 AM
webbah
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by picus
You could probably get it for a couple hundred over invoice if you work hard - but like rominl mentioned I think the choice might depend more on what you expect out of the car than the pricing. The G35 and ES350 are going to be very, very different vehicles. I love my G35, but I don't use it as a family mover, and remember a new model will be out in '07, so this is the current models last year.
When you say "invoice" - are you saying invoice including options - or base model invoice - like $29K or whatever it is? Again - I'm new to this whole new car buying thing...........
Old 03-06-06, 12:11 PM
LexFather

Great question - but unfortunately - one I don't know the answer to right now. I went into this thinking I wanted a comfortable, quiet family ride - but after I drove that G35 - I had such a blast driving it that I don't know what I want anymore. I am leaning towards the G35 - my wife wants the Lexus - but it'll be my car - so essentially my decision in the end.

Well no one has driven the ES 350 yet but I highly doubt it will be as fun as the G35.The G35 is almost brutish in comparison.

The IS 350 or 330 blends both well, IMO, the IS 350 now combines the luxury of the ES including quiet etc, with the sport of a BMW. The Acua TL does the big car for its class, sporty thing, entry luxury blend well too.

BTW, do what the wife wants.

Old 03-06-06, 01:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

like what mike said, no one has driven teh e350, but i can be almost positive that it won't drive like the g35. if you like the driving part, i relaly think you should get the g35. for what it's worth, even my wife got bored driving the e330, she's beyond disconnected from the road
Old 03-06-06, 05:18 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

If you're looking for the perfect blend of both, drive an Acura TL. Even if you decide not to get one, it's yet another major competitor whose name you can drop as a contender in your price negotiations. OTOH, you may find that the combination of performance, luxury, and features at the TL's price point wins you over.
Old 03-06-06, 05:31 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Iceman
If you're looking for the perfect blend of both, drive an Acura TL. Even if you decide not to get one, it's yet another major competitor whose name you can drop as a contender in your price negotiations. OTOH, you may find that the combination of performance, luxury, and features at the TL's price point wins you over.
I agree, the TL is a very good combo of both and is making a lot of people happy right now.

Old 03-06-06, 05:48 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Yeah but the TL might very well be less sporty than the upcoming ES350. First of all it has less power, less torque, although it will probably post better track times with manual transmission. I do not know about the suspension and handling, after all Honda was always the King of FWD, but then I wouldn't be all too surprised if the ES handles comparably, after all Lexus has been stepping up their game.

One thing to consider, the ES will probably cost quite a bit more than both G35 and TL.
Old 03-06-06, 05:59 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Dont forget that these sports cars can be a blast to drive, but then consider this - they tend to become a nuissance if you drive them on daily basis and on long trips. Stiff suspension, firm seats, road noise, exaust noise... Of course, the G35 isn't an Elise or S2K, but it's not a luxoboat either. Also, unless you get an AWD, these RWDs are a pain to drive in snow. Also, the G35's interior isn't exactly perfect.

I myself strongly considered G35 when I was shopping for a car, but I ended up with a GS430. It's just as powerful as G35, probably even more powerful, and while it doesn't handle as well, at least it's RWD unlike the TL and ES, so it feels sporty. But then it has a comfortable quiet ride, and awesome interior, so I really don't regret it at all. So if the price isn't an issue, I suggest you check one out, you'll love it.
Old 03-06-06, 07:16 PM
webbah
Driver School Candidate

First of all - I want to say thank you to all who've posted so far. All very honest, candid comments. But now you've done it! I'll probably go test drive an Acura TL this weekend but have heard about the "rattle" issues. Is the Cadillac worth considering? Any other thoughts?

I'm going to be patient in all of this and at least take the ES 350 for a spin when it comes out..........

Quick Reply: G35 pricing? vs. new ES 350