Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Autocar reports New Toyota Sports Car in the works with all wheel drive, midengined!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-06, 08:34 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I don't think Toyota is serious about making a new Supra anymore. I am loosing hope because after all the rumours,predictions, and drawings over the years there has not been any credible info on a replacement and Toyota does not seem that interested in the enthusiast high performance market. I think they saw the last Supra as a failure or something to be ashamed of because it was not a success and they put alot of effort into it yet people chose corvettes, base 911s, luxury coupes, and giant SUVs over that great car. They even discounted it 10K the last year and it still did not jump start sales. With the legendary engine that powered the Supra discontinued and their success in passenger cars, pickups, SUVs, hybrids, luxury cars, Scion, they may not feel any need to build high performance cars for enthusiasts which most likely will not sell in big numbers. Toyota makes great everyday cars but for performance and enthusiasts vehicles they have nothing in their lineup of any interest and they are doing fine without it. This may hurt them in the future by ignoring this market or enthusiast base but right now they couldn't be doing any better.

I think someone high up at Toyota would have said they are definitely building a Supra replacement by now but most seem to say they don't have much interest in a replacement or are concentrating on other more profitable vehicles. Honda/Acura high ups said they were doing another NSX and even said it will have a v-10, Nissan/Infiniti execs have said they will be selling a GTR here and there have been several photos of them being tested as well as concepts and production like models shown. I have not seem any credible spy photos of any Supra replacements being tested nor have I seen any concept models of a replacement at autoshows, just credible photos and concepts of the exotic LFA which will definitely not be a Supra replacement as it will be a Lexus and most likely cost over 100K.

Even if there is a Supra replacement I doubt it will be anywhere near what the previous car was in how nice it was, tunable it was, competed with Porche 911s, Corvettes, Skylines, etc. This came at a high price and people did not want to pay that high price and a replacement will probrably be watered down to a certain price point. The new Supra will probrably not be built to compete with the higher end cars like the last one but be built to cost less and compete with the 350z, G35coupe, RX-8, S2000, Boxster, etc. Without its legendary overbuilt twin turbo inline six it will most likely just be based on a IS platform and come with a higher horsepower IS engine which is not going to be anywhere near as tunable or strong as the last Supra's powerplant. As for a v-8 that would be nice but it would put it into a high price bracket which is going to hurt sales and the jury is still out if the LS430-460, GS430 motor would make a very good all out high performance powerplant to compete with Corvettes, the new Skyline, 911s,M3s,etc. Styling is another thing and I doubt it will look as agressive as the last one and will most likely have a more modern 350Z, Audi TT,Solara,SC430 type stying which probrably won't look as nice or aggresive

It seems alot of other people on other boards have lost interest in a Supra replacment too and are looking toward other brands for performance enthusiasts cars. I would love for Toyota to come out with a aggressive exotic looking Supra replacement that had a small strong overbuilt highly tunable turbo v-8 putting out over 380hp and had a lexus grade interior that cost around 40-42K but it is very doubtful that would happen. If they do replace it which seems unlikely I think it is going to dissapoint fans of the previous model and not be anywhere near what the last one was due to pricing, hope I am wrong though. I doubt people want a hybrid v-6 for the next Supra either so I doubt that car is a Supra replacement but more of a MR2, Celica type replacement if they build it.
Toyota has officially admitted that there *IS* a sports car coming in the future for the Toyota lineup, but it may not be a Supra.

I find it funny that you mention Toyota abandoning the high performance market. Toyota's presence in Motorsports continues to grow, and they're racing in just about every type of motorsport currently, except WRC, and even then there are highly credible rumours Toyota will once again return to WRC after all of the numerous wins they've had before.

Toyota's visible presence in a variety of motorsports is to bolster their image in terms of sports cars, and high performance.

Lexus fans basically know for sure that a Lexus supercar is coming soon, and with Toyota's admission of a future sports car, all the motorsport investment Toyota has makes sense.
Old 03-06-06, 08:47 PM
Dynasty SC
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i sadly agree... there probably is a "toyota sportscar" coming, but it will likely not be a supra. it would shame the name by creating an underpowered, cheap new incarnation. a new supra should be a V8 but a V8 would likely put it out of pricerange to compete with the 350Z, RX-8, etc. so, the new incarnation of the lexus will end up being the LFA which is wayyyy more expensive. but at least u can still see a bit of ole' glory in her design. the new toyota will be some new less than impressive car for the more affordable market.
Old 03-07-06, 09:54 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bring back the Celica All Trac!