Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

On the lot: What's hot, what's not

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-06, 09:46 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Conversely, while all three Scion products today are hot-sellers ( perhaps due to their no-haggle pricing ) it wasn't that way when they were first were introduced. They did sell, but not like today.
Yeah the staying power of the Scion is amazing. It's rare that the sales of a model gets better and better as time goes on, and it's even rarer for this to happen across the board of a brand, particularly when the brand enforces MSRP.
Old 03-07-06, 10:03 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Yeah the staying power of the Scion is amazing. It's rare that the sales of a model gets better and better as time goes on, and it's even rarer for this to happen across the board of a brand, particularly when the brand enforces MSRP.
Actually, that was exactly the pattern Saturn followed during their first few years of existence. At first no one really knew what a "Saturn" was, and even those who did were hesitant to take a chance on GM's great experiment. But then, as the product became more visible on the streets and people saw the great rankings Saturn got for reliability and customer service, sales steadily increased.

But, and mmarshall will back me up on this one, that's where GM lost the bubble. They took away everything that made Saturn unique and/or desirable in a frantic, short-sighted grab for profits. The product quality plummeted, and the styling stagnated. Customer service has remained above average, but you only have to realize they were offering Lexus-quality service on cars that cost <$10K to see that they've fallen from where they once were.

Will Scion follow the same curve? I doubt it. Toyota has shown, at least so far, that they are focused on the long-term. They will continue to nurture and grow the Scion brand, and an essential part of that is maintaining standards across the dealer network.
Old 03-07-06, 12:42 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Wow, Toyota is domination. LOOK AT SCION!!!

Looks like the Infiniit M dropped off the list already. The GS is still selling strong.

Damn, I bet I could buy a Crossfire for $20
And no doubt, an SRT one at that.
Old 03-07-06, 03:03 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Question Bargain in the Basement?

As much as I love the retro-deco look of the Crossfire, it just doesn't fit. Not fit my image, wants, or desires for a boulevardier, but fit as in fit my body. This thing is TINY, but the dimensions ease slightly once inside. The problem is between out here and in there. The roadster I tried on was inelegant to say the least, to enter and exit, the coupe would have been impossible. There hasn't been a car so forbidding to enter since the '58 'Vette with the hardtop in place. And I didn't even have a driver's license back then.

IF you fit, or can have the entry hole (door) let out a couple notches, there could be a place in your garage for one of these beauties. Due to their low sales volume, Crossfires are a real bargain right now - even the roadster lists for about $32,600 - about $100 over invoice, but your friendly neighborhood DC dealer might sweeten even that bargain. Not a bad deal for a rebodied SLK that looks like it could have been inked by Raymond Lowey. Most driving reviews praise its style, comfort, and handling - and although a bit short on torque, the Chrysler V-6 trumps the Mercedes turbo 4 in the base SLK - that's no mean feat.

It's no sports car, as in the pavement-ripping ZO6 or a Roush rocket. This thing is more in the mode of the elegant European sports cars of the '50's and early '60's - the wire wheel, stringback glove, and briar pipe motif. Totally impractical, but a visual and sensory experience of elegance. Just the thing for a picnic in the wine country, or a day at the polo matches.

For me, I'd just have to put a glass top over it and park it in the living room. If I can't squeeze into it, at least it'd make one fine looking coffee table.

Last edited by Lil4X; 03-09-06 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-09-06, 08:07 PM
LexFather

Top 10 Hottest Models

1) Toyota Prius ( 8 days on dealer's lot )
2) Scion tC ( 11 days on dealer's lot )
3) BMW 7 Series ( 15 days on dealer's lot )
4) Scion xB ( 15 days on dealer's lot )
5) Toyota Tacoma ( 15 days on dealer's lot )
6) Toyota Avalon ( 15 days on dealer's lot )
7) Lexus GS ( 17 days on dealer's lot )
8) Lexus LX 470 ( 18 days on dealer's lot )
9) Honda Odyssey ( 18 days on dealer's lot )
10) Infiniti M ( 18 days on dealer's lot )

So Scion and Lexus still doing it big after 1 year

Old 03-10-06, 02:42 PM
chiawei
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Less on the lot + high demand.
This does say the 3 may not be as well recieved as we thought.
Too bad this is not the case. 3 series is pretty much like a Camry sales for BMW. There are quiet a bit of stock available.

Notice cars like Camry is also not on the list.

The actual sales figure is not reflected based on inventory date.