Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How to AVOID getting Traffic Tickets, or how to get them and NOT pay for them! Simple

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-06, 07:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by amaghazi
So very simple! I just discovered this a few weeks ago.

What you need to do is to get a driving license in another country who's part of the traffic convention of 1929 or 1949 (check your DMV). and then you get an internationla driving permit from that country (you dont have to be a citizen of that country). Once you have a valid international driving permit , you can use it for one year in the united states if you prove (by your passport stamp) you entered the country within a year. For me, i travel to Australia every summer, so I will do it there. The only down-side is that you cannot be a resident in the United states (you cannot own a car for example) so you have to register your car under someone else's name and drive it with your international permit.

So unless it's a criminal charge, any violation will come with a fine! but so WHAT! Usually, if you choose the right country those fines don't go to any agency that will charge you and they are usually meaningless. My friend drove with his international permit for 10 months, got a total of 8 tickets for $4000! never paid any! went back to his country, got a new permit and was ready to do it all over again!

It works great if u r a traveller or you like to speed like me (and you actually think 65mph is a stupid law).

so check it out

J
Hmmm... lemme tell you a quick story. A friend who lives in England came to the U.S., drove a rental car, got a ticket, decided not to pay the fine, went back to England. Came back about a year later - since the ticket wasn't paid a warrant had been issued for his arrest and immigration at the airport saw it on their screen as he came into the country, so he was promptly arrested and thrown in jail to think about it overnight before his court hearing the next day. Oh and this was Fulton County jail in Atlanta, NOT a place you want to hang out.
Old 03-12-06, 10:47 AM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I said before, they don't mess around over here
Old 03-12-06, 11:49 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Hmmm... lemme tell you a quick story. A friend who lives in England came to the U.S., drove a rental car, got a ticket, decided not to pay the fine, went back to England. Came back about a year later - since the ticket wasn't paid a warrant had been issued for his arrest and immigration at the airport saw it on their screen as he came into the country, so he was promptly arrested and thrown in jail to think about it overnight before his court hearing the next day. Oh and this was Fulton County jail in Atlanta, NOT a place you want to hang out.
I will second that story. I know of at least two Mexican friends at the track who decided not to pay speeding tickets in Texas (and they were warned of the consequences) and sure enough when they come rolling over the border they got handed over to Texas authorities. Fortunately, the Texans allowed them to pay up and the case was settled (Texas is great )

In Mexico, having a U.S. license, you won't find yourself in jail, but they will take your license plate and/or your driver's license (sometimes your choice, sometimes not) if you get a ticket. DO NOT BRIBE A FEDERAL HIGHWAY PATROLMAN IN MEXICO. I cannot say that enough times and some Americans don't listen. They don't take bribes...period.

Most Americans living here get a local driver's license (you keep your American license) so that all they do is give you a ticket and you go and pay it. The local driver's license works as sort of Mexican ID (so you don't have to carry your passport or visa around), but not all the times as the IFE or electoral card is king here.

Some states require you take an knowledge/driving test and some like here in Estado de Mexico and Distrito Federal (Mexico City proper) don't require it all.

Last edited by Lexmex; 03-12-06 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03-12-06, 01:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
DO NOT BRIBE A FEDERAL HIGHWAY PATROLMAN IN MEXICO. I cannot say that enough times and some Americans don't listen. They don't take bribes...period.
OK...we'll take your word for it, but it's hard to make a case that ANY public official in Mexico won't take a bribe...........short of Fox himself, who DOES seem to be honest.
Old 03-12-06, 11:20 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
OK...we'll take your word for it, but it's hard to make a case that ANY public official in Mexico won't take a bribe...........short of Fox himself, who DOES seem to be honest.
Very true mmarshall, the newspapers down here are full of stories, either true or just accusations.

The Federal Highway Patrol should be given the same respect one would give to a State Trooper in your home state (the cars look very similar). They are a really bright spot among the police forces down here.
Old 03-13-06, 10:41 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Very true mmarshall, the newspapers down here are full of stories, either true or just accusations.

The Federal Highway Patrol should be given the same respect one would give to a State Trooper in your home state (the cars look very similar). They are a really bright spot among the police forces down here.
Thanks for the tip, I bribe my way out of problems all the time in Mexico, I'll know not to offer it to the guys with machine guns.