Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Driver trapped in car going 130 mph

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-06, 07:30 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't believe it

That's some crazy Ish. Thankfully hes okay but his priorities are a little off.
Old 03-11-06, 09:37 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by mikal
"I didn't deliberately try to crash the car to stop myself. I remember saying to the fireman, 'Don't cut my car, you'll damage it' but they were saying, 'Don't worry about that mate, it's written off'. I'd buy another BMW because, although there was a problem, it saved my life in that crash."

His car was already beat up and he still didnt want to cut it. Tsk tsk. He must love it too much.
He's worried more about not cutting his car than being trapped in there after flipping it???

I don't care if it's a million dollar car. Cut this damn car and get me out.
Old 03-11-06, 09:42 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

At high speeds, power steering isn't much of a benefit anyways. It's only when you're at those lower speed will power steering help a lot.

If I was him, instead of shifting into neutral, I would have shifted down to a lower gear and eventually land in 1st gear. Going 40mph is a lot better than 130mph.
Old 03-11-06, 10:18 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
At high speeds, power steering isn't much of a benefit anyways. It's only when you're at those lower speed will power steering help a lot.

If I was him, instead of shifting into neutral, I would have shifted down to a lower gear and eventually land in 1st gear. Going 40mph is a lot better than 130mph.

exactly. But the ECU might prevent you from shifting to lower gears to keep the engine from blowing.
Old 03-11-06, 10:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRupp
Right, leave it on "ACC". Sometimes I do that when I'm cleaning the wheels so I don't have to start the car.

This guy had the wrong things on his mind when he was going through this.
um.... i need to do that on my car to confirm again. i remember trying it before already (gs400), but when i put it on acc, i still couldn't turn the wheel. i had to start the car
Old 03-11-06, 10:43 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TheRupp
If the car's moving, killing the power steering wouldn't hurt you. Power steering's really most helpful when the car's stopped. Should've killed the ignition.
This is why everybody should be forced to have knowledge about things people operate in a daily basis.

As soon as he noticed the car was stuck on the accelarator, he should of downshifted and pulled over Imediately!

he is at 70 his throttle is stock, down shift to 2nd. This would of capped his speed to around 75 mph. When he moves over to an area it is safe to pull over. Cut ignition off.

Call a tow truck.

I wouldnt punish him, but Id certainly would send him to mandatory driving school, perhaps a performance one.

HE could of avoided the tripple digits speeds, and saved his car and even his tranny, and motor.

Another scenario a friend of a friend spins out on the free way because his rear tire blew... caused by him reaching for his breaks instinctively.
Old 03-11-06, 11:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Inabj2
This is why everybody should be forced to have knowledge about things people operate in a daily basis.

As soon as he noticed the car was stuck on the accelarator, he should of downshifted and pulled over Imediately!

he is at 70 his throttle is stock, down shift to 2nd. This would of capped his speed to around 75 mph. When he moves over to an area it is safe to pull over. Cut ignition off.

Call a tow truck.

I wouldnt punish him, but Id certainly would send him to mandatory driving school, perhaps a performance one.

HE could of avoided the tripple digits speeds, and saved his car and even his tranny, and motor.

Another scenario a friend of a friend spins out on the free way because his rear tire blew... caused by him reaching for his breaks instinctively.
i wonder if he could down shift? coz' i know for a lot of auto, they have the "feature" that if you down shift (even on the shifter), the engine won't downshift if it's going to overrev
Old 03-12-06, 05:24 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
i wonder if he could down shift? coz' i know for a lot of auto, they have the "feature" that if you down shift (even on the shifter), the engine won't downshift if it's going to overrev
You can downshift to the next lowest gear. ANY gear is better then over drive. Ussually the gear with the most restrictions is the L gear. Gears before that will let you down shift.

In my 4 speed tranny I can downshift to any gear pretty close to redline if I want to. As for neutral... that is odd because in my car at least you can slip it into neutral at any speed. Even highway speeds.

Either way I still think this whole situation could of been avoided. It shouldnt have taken him that long to pull over to the emergency lane and shut his car off once he is at that lane. He should be forced to go to drivers education regardless.
Old 03-12-06, 09:09 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Inabj2
You can downshift to the next lowest gear. ANY gear is better then over drive. Ussually the gear with the most restrictions is the L gear. Gears before that will let you down shift.

In my 4 speed tranny I can downshift to any gear pretty close to redline if I want to. As for neutral... that is odd because in my car at least you can slip it into neutral at any speed. Even highway speeds.

Either way I still think this whole situation could of been avoided. It shouldnt have taken him that long to pull over to the emergency lane and shut his car off once he is at that lane. He should be forced to go to drivers education regardless.
so say if you are redline in 3rd, you can manually shift down to 2nd and the car will drop to 2nd? wouldn't that completely overrev your engine and blow it? just curious, coz' i have read in manual before (gs400) that in that case, the car won't allow the down shift, although the shifter is in 3rd already

but either way, i believe he didn't shift into neutral on freeway not coz' he couldn't, but he didn't want to coz' "it will overrev the engine"
Old 03-12-06, 09:20 AM
Lexs400
Lexus Test Driver

saw a similiar video with a lady inside a GM vehicle. It was similiar sized than 3-series. She ended up calling the police and had rescue cars alongside. She couldnt kill the ignition and the brakes werent working either.
Old 03-12-06, 10:57 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I dont believe it. sorry.
Old 03-12-06, 01:06 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xioix
Power steering is only bad at slow speeds, at higher speeds it not a problem (I've driven non-powered steering cars before)
LOL, have you ever driven one with power steering, but without the engine running, it takes a bit more power to steer at that moment because you manually have to move the power steering fluid.
It's not like a manual powered steering.
Old 03-12-06, 01:53 PM
timoc42
Lead Lap

i think its easy to say this and that about the driver, and i agree with some of the statements about cutting off engine or downshifting, but its a totally different scenario for the poor guy at that time who had no control of what was going on.

once you panic, all bets are off. you are not thinking straight or logically.
Old 03-12-06, 02:37 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
so say if you are redline in 3rd, you can manually shift down to 2nd and the car will drop to 2nd? wouldn't that completely overrev your engine and blow it? just curious, coz' i have read in manual before (gs400) that in that case, the car won't allow the down shift, although the shifter is in 3rd already

but either way, i believe he didn't shift into neutral on freeway not coz' he couldn't, but he didn't want to coz' "it will overrev the engine"
I'd rather have a blown engine, than get killed in an accident going 130 mph thank you very much.
Old 03-12-06, 03:12 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RX_330
I'd rather have a blown engine, than get killed in an accident going 130 mph thank you very much.
Yes indeed, just what I was thinking. This guy definitely needs to get his priorities straightened out and quickly. If this happened to me, I'd NEVER buy another product from that same manufacturer. That's just me though.

Quick Reply: Driver trapped in car going 130 mph