Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Driver trapped in car going 130 mph

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-06, 04:38 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Richie
LOL, have you ever driven one with power steering, but without the engine running, it takes a bit more power to steer at that moment because you manually have to move the power steering fluid.
It's not like a manual powered steering.
you mean pushing the car with the engine off, then yes I have turned the wheel with it off, its not that hard, and I'm a real small guy
Old 03-12-06, 05:31 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 363 Likes on 231 Posts

It's just a 318, the brakes would have held it enough to slow it until he could kill it.
Old 03-12-06, 06:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by xioix
you mean pushing the car with the engine off, then yes I have turned the wheel with it off, its not that hard, and I'm a real small guy
you can turn your front wheels (of your lexus) when the engine is off? something must be wrong with my gs400 then. i just tried this afternoon again, when the engine is off, i can't turn my steering wheel, and as soon as i turn it, it locks up. i thought this is a safety measure?
Old 03-12-06, 06:32 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
you can turn your front wheels (of your lexus) when the engine is off? something must be wrong with my gs400 then. i just tried this afternoon again, when the engine is off, i can't turn my steering wheel, and as soon as i turn it, it locks up. i thought this is a safety measure?

Is your ingnition in the "Run" position? If you leave it in ACC only it should lock up I believe. All cars do this. If you set in in the "Run" position (The second click) it should not lock and I believe all cars are like this. Like someone mentioned above, that is how we push cars around without the need to start them, or if the engine can't run.
Old 03-12-06, 06:36 PM
LEXUS FAN!
Lead Lap

if you were to turn the car off in the middle of driving what would happen?
Old 03-12-06, 06:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Is your ingnition in the "Run" position? If you leave it in ACC only it should lock up I believe. All cars do this. If you set in in the "Run" position (The second click) it should not lock and I believe all cars are like this. Like someone mentioned above, that is how we push cars around without the need to start them, or if the engine can't run.
umm i gotta try it again tonight if it doesn't rain bad. i will make sure it's the 2nd click
Old 03-12-06, 07:01 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRupp
Right, leave it on "ACC". Sometimes I do that when I'm cleaning the wheels so I don't have to start the car.

This guy had the wrong things on his mind when he was going through this.
its very hard to think when you are going 130mph and avoiding other cars. question is if he could it properly or his steering would lock, and to unlocking it he would have to jerk the wheel left/right.
Old 03-12-06, 08:28 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Err I meant "run", not ACC. Whatever position you would have it in before you can turn it to start it.

I dunno... If it's just a 318 then it'd probably take a good while to get up to 130 mph. I'd think that I would've had time to think to hold the brakes down and downshift, or kill the engine, etc.
Old 03-12-06, 09:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

okok, i just tried, if you are in ACC, the steering is definitely locked, but in ON, you can turn the steering wheel but of course you get no power steering, so when stopped, steering is super tight (but it's not locked).

also looked, and you gotta be VERY careful when you try to put the car from START back to ON without going over to ACC. it's very short. a bit more force (i had to stare at it to make sure i didn't go over) and you are back in ACC, not good
Old 03-12-06, 09:51 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

WOW...this is crazy. I didnt know they were so strict out there in Cali.
Old 03-13-06, 02:52 AM
AZ-GS300
Lead Lap

Driver is an idiot and looking for attention.

number 1: Screw downshifting. Just pop it into neutral. Blow the motor.

number 2: (as has been pointed out) key to ACC position doesn't lock the wheel but will shut off the car.

number 3: Try it yourself, push both brake and gas pedals and see if you can get to 70mph.

number 4: Car was a 1998 BMW 318. You would think this problem would have surfaced by now if it was really a problem with the car.

rominl: what kind of car do you drive? year/make/model? I just tried in my 98 GS300 and was able to turn the wheel from one extreme to the other in the ACC position.
Old 03-13-06, 03:51 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
its very hard to think when you are going 130mph and avoiding other cars. question is if he could it properly or his steering would lock, and to unlocking it he would have to jerk the wheel left/right.
All he had to do was turn the ingition one click back to kill the engine then one click back on again. As long as he wasn't steering the vehicle it would not lock the steering wheel. Unfortunately, I have to admit as a younger person I used to do that myself sometimes late at night. I used to do that in my manual car to show friends how you can jump start the car again without engauging the starter. The main point of all this is he should have put the car in neutral and killed the engine before he even reached 130 MPH. As soon as he knew his accelerator was stcuk he should have done this, or at least anytime while he still had some brakes left and had no cars in front of him. Also, I've seen many cars where the brake can hold a car still even under full throttle. I know muscle cars sometimes hold the brake and do burn outs as the engine HP over powers the rear brake, but the front brakes still hold and you need a heck of a lot more power than a 98 4 cylinder 318 has. If this really is a true story it is a very rare and strange one.
Old 03-13-06, 09:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG
I dont believe it. sorry.

The engine can't overpower the brakes. QED.
Old 06-19-06, 11:21 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TheRupp
If the car's moving, killing the power steering wouldn't hurt you. Power steering's really most helpful when the car's stopped. Should've killed the ignition.
exactly. Power steering at 100 MPH isn't going to be any different than manual steering.
Old 06-19-06, 11:32 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

im surprised a 318 can even go that fast

Quick Reply: Driver trapped in car going 130 mph