Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Caymen S or 650 Coupe?
Porsche Caymen S
45.24%
BMW 650i Coupe
42.86%
Neither!
4.76%
They're both good choices.
7.14%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Porsche Caymen S or BMW 650 Coupe? Help Please.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-06, 10:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by OGS
I was in the same place as your friend a month or so ago. I drove the Cayman S, and wasnt happy with the power of the car.

650 was coo but they only had cabs when I was ready to pick one up. And the 650i I wanted, there was a 6-8 week wait time to get the car.

I would recommend the 650 over the Cayman, but if your friend is willing to spend that kind of money...I would look into a E55.
wow, you have to wait that long for the 650? that's something new.

but hey, you got something even better dude
Old 03-13-06, 11:12 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Oh, I thought the choice was for Cayenne S so I choose the 650. Now that I see it is the Cayman S I have to say Cayman S all the way. The BMW might be faster, but there is just something very applealing about driving a mid engine sports car
Cayman S is faster, the Cayman S is basically a mid engine base model 911 (996) in terms of performance, the very slight accelaration dissadvantage it might have to a 911 (20 hp deficit 295 hp vs 315 hp.) Its more then made up with the handling advantages if has over the 911.

The only place a 650 might be faster is perhaps top end? Itd be close though.

Handling wise the cars are probably not in the same league.

Me personally since id be someone thad track the car, Id go over for the car thad has overall the most performance. Perhaps you should share what your friend's wishes with the car are?
Old 03-13-06, 11:26 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw a Caymen pulling out of a parking lot and boy did it sound AWESOME!

They Porsche and BMW are two completely different cars. It all depends on if he wants more luxury or more sport. It's a win-win situation.

If all of life's decision were this hard.
Old 03-14-06, 05:11 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce van
I saw a Caymen pulling out of a parking lot and boy did it sound AWESOME!

They Porsche and BMW are two completely different cars. It all depends on if he wants more luxury or more sport. It's a win-win situation.

If all of life's decision were this hard.
The 6 series sounds awsome too. It has a throaty exhaust note to go with that v8 motor.
Old 03-14-06, 07:28 AM
Coffey454
Rookie

Default Always get the Porsche

If there is the option to get a Porsche then always get the Porsche. the Cayman S is fantastic. The 650 is incredibly too, but the Cayman is the car. These are 2 very different machines. The 650 is a real badazz cruiser and is the ultimate coupe, but the Cayman is the ultimate sports machine. Depends what you want really.
Old 03-14-06, 01:06 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by whoster
the thing about the 650i and the Cayman S is that they're two completely different cars..

the 650i is a GT car, whereas the Cayman S is a sports car nipping at the heels of a 911....depending on the purposes of this car, depending on the driver's driving style---it's an awkward selection he has made. The cars might as well be almost polar opposites. one could argue that the 6-series is a proper sports car and point to the M6 with its fiddled suspension, monstrous V-10, stupefyingly complicated computer gadgetry and all--but this is the 650i. The Cayman S however was born to be a sports car (albeit lacking a LSD). It carries a heritage from one of the foremost sports car makers in the business...

personally i'd choose the 650i for practicality reasons...but it'll ultimately be up to the driver who's going to buy the car and what the vehicle's main purpose will be.
Yeah, I want to say try out the new Jag XK8 and Maserati Grandsport as well.

The Caymen is a 110% sports car. Mid engine, 2 seats, the reviews have just been jaw dropping about this car. The press loves it, period. It is a very small car.

The 6 hasn't gotten the same stellar reviews. It's also front engined, I-6, V-8 or V-10 and is huge in comparison, as long as a GS. Its a classic GT, tons of power, good handling, seats in the back.

Both cars are equally luxurious on the inside.

What are his priorites? These cars have pretty much nothing in common.

Old 03-14-06, 01:14 PM
AJ
Lexus Champion

I say go with the bimmer if he/she is looking for something formal
Old 03-14-06, 01:36 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Inabj2
Cayman S is faster, the Cayman S is basically a mid engine base model 911 (996) in terms of performance, the very slight accelaration dissadvantage it might have to a 911 (20 hp deficit 295 hp vs 315 hp.) Its more then made up with the handling advantages if has over the 911.

The only place a 650 might be faster is perhaps top end? Itd be close though.

Handling wise the cars are probably not in the same league.

Me personally since id be someone thad track the car, Id go over for the car thad has overall the most performance. Perhaps you should share what your friend's wishes with the car are?

Hmm. for some reason I was reading 650, but somehow had M6 with V10 stuck in my head
Old 03-14-06, 11:11 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

isn't 650i in Carrera price territory? Why not go with a Carrera? more luxurious than the Cayman S but still offers spectacular performance.
Old 03-15-06, 05:25 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have not driven the Cayman, but I have driven the BMW 650 - it was incredible! I was able to drive it for a few laps around the test track at the BMW factory in South Carolina, very fast and well balanced. Handles like a dream! BMW did a great job if mixing luxury and a sports car together giving you the best of both worlds. The 650 would be my choice!
Follow the link to Engine Sounds to hear the 650 - very sweet!
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/index_high...xml/sounds.xml

Last edited by CdeFabio; 03-15-06 at 05:30 AM.