Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

WOW, Russia is doing it big these days (56K=NOPE)

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-06, 10:16 PM
BlkGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can and always could get anything you want in Russia if you had the money.
Old 03-14-06, 10:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

very nice. imho though, you find wealthy people everywhere in the world. and of foucrse russia is no exception
Old 03-14-06, 10:56 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice to see the arms dealers are out in style
Old 03-15-06, 01:13 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

There was a bit on TV about this yesterday.
In Moscow they have 32 billionaires.
Theres a lot of money over there.
Old 03-15-06, 01:40 AM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Nice to see what people do with bribe money
Old 03-15-06, 09:24 AM
LexFather

Russia is Lexus 2nd largest market, they do very well there. Top Gear had an article of the GS 430 in Russia. You cannot have NAV though, per their governement

Old 03-15-06, 09:32 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Funny you say that, even though the pics I posted do not have Lexus vehicles as the main subject, you can see in a few of them there are Lexus vehicles in the background. There is a few more pics with them in the background, but I didnt post those.
Old 03-15-06, 09:44 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm Russian myself, living in NYC since I was 14 (I'm 27 now). What pisses me off about Russia these day is the amount of german cars there. After all, Russia is the country that defeated **** germany, and never mind Holocaust, the ***** killed far more Russians and other Europeans than Jews, over 20 millions Russians were killed. My grandfather went through the entire war, and went into germany with the occupation forces, and he told me all the horror stories about these people, if you can even call these animals people. And now the Russians are buying cars from BMW and MB, companies that used Russian slave labor during war? That is freaking ridiculous. Personally, I will never spend a penny on any german product. It is a shame how people forget their history.
Old 03-15-06, 10:05 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

koreans were raped and pillaged by the japanese TWICE in their history.

i am korean, but my family swears by Toyota.

"all of us on this board are american. Lexus is a japanese carmaker under the wing of Toyota. have you all ridiculous ignoramuses forgotten that Japan bombed Pearl Harbor? "

the above kind of mentality will get you nowhere.

if i had your mentality OCH...i wouldn't even be on this board. Hell, i'd be on a Hyundai forum somewhere banging on about how Hyundai makes the best cars in the world, BAR NONE.
Old 03-15-06, 10:11 AM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by whoster
"all of us on this board are american. Lexus is a japanese carmaker under the wing of Toyota. have you all ridiculous ignoramuses forgotten that Japan bombed Pearl Harbor? "

It should also be noted that these popular crimes of humanity in history between auto manufacturing countries and their customers took place a couple generations ago... at the nearest point in history.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I really didn't have all that much to do with my grandparents' actions. The real ignorance is blaming someone for actions that occured before they even existed.
Old 03-15-06, 10:16 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I'm Russian myself, living in NYC since I was 14 (I'm 27 now). What pisses me off about Russia these day is the amount of german cars there. After all, Russia is the country that defeated **** germany, and never mind Holocaust, the ***** killed far more Russians and other Europeans than Jews, over 20 millions Russians were killed. My grandfather went through the entire war, and went into germany with the occupation forces, and he told me all the horror stories about these people, if you can even call these animals people. And now the Russians are buying cars from BMW and MB, companies that used Russian slave labor during war? That is freaking ridiculous. Personally, I will never spend a penny on any german product. It is a shame how people forget their history.
too bad stalin is responsible for more deaths than hitler during his whole regime, oh guess what the soviets used slave labor also, as well oppressing its own people greatly, wake up this its not 1945 anymore. Dont take all the credit a lot of non russian soldiers died in the war fighting Germany. Stalin is at least Hitlers equal in terms of tyranny and cruelty, in some ways he could surpass Hitler

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 03-15-06 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-15-06, 10:25 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

koreans were raped and pillaged by the japanese TWICE in their history.

i am korean, but my family swears by Toyota.
I honestly do not know much about Japan's and Korea's history, so I can't comment on that.

Right, but it was a war and the Japanese bombed a military Harbor. I'm not trying to justify their actions, but it's nothing compared to the germans killion innocent women and children. Plus the Japanese paid for their actions dearly, two of their cities got nuked. For all it's worth, germany should've been wiped out of the face of the earth.

Also, if you look at history, the germans were always violent and are guilty of many genocides.

if i had your mentality OCH...i wouldn't even be on this board. Hell, i'd be on a Hyundai forum somewhere banging on about how Hyundai makes the best cars in the world, BAR NONE.
It has nothing to do with banging who makes the best cars in the world, I'm not denying that Porsches are perhaps the best sports cars in the world, but Dr. Porsche was tried as a war criminal. I'm not denying that MB makes some of the best luxury cars in the world, but MB made special cars for Hitler and employeed 100,000 of slave laborers. I'm not denying that BMW makes some great sports sedans, but they used 20,000 of slave laborers and were working of airplance technology that might have changed the outcome of the war if they were successful.

Much to my pleasure Lexus, and recently Infiniti are making cars that are just as good or even better than the german manufacturers. But even if that wasnt the case, I'd drive a freaking geo metro before a mercedes.
Old 03-15-06, 10:27 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Stalin, Marx, and Lenin are rolling over in their graves.

The talented and passionate Russian people were kept in an agonizing pressure cooker for 70 years. Finally the lid came off (thanks to Ronald Reagan and the courageous Mikail Gorbachev who realized Russian Communism just didn't work). It's still not a full democracy (Putin's got a pretty tight lid on things still) but the freeing of the economy has been great.
yeah, it has been great for 0.00001% of now billionares who are now owners of previously huge state owned companies, without actually paying a dime. :-).
Old 03-15-06, 10:31 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
too bad stalin is responsible for more deaths than hitler during his whole regime, oh guess what the soviets used slave labor also, as well oppressing its own people greatly, wake up this its not 1945 anymore. Dont take all the credit a lot of non russian soldiers died in the war fighting Germany
Thats why the communist party was overthrown, and stalin joined hitler in the ranks of criminals. Would you buy a car that was made by a company that was started by either of these people, and belonged to their grandchildren? Consider that Dr. Porsche is a war criminal just like the other two, yet Porsches are selling left and right.
Old 03-15-06, 10:38 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
Right, but it was a war and the Japanese bombed a military Harbor. I'm not trying to justify their actions, but it's nothing compared to the germans killion innocent women and children. Plus the Japanese paid for their actions dearly, two of their cities got nuked. For all it's worth, germany should've been wiped out of the face of the earth.

Also, if you look at history, the germans were always violent and are guilty of many genocides.
Normally I don't touch conversations like this online, it's almost always pointless. But I think you need to learn a little more about world history before you jump to conclusions. Japan and the U.S were not at war when Japan attacked Pearl Harbor, it was a sneak attack. As a matter of fact although there was an economic embargo against Japan at the time Japanese diplomats were fresh off a visit to the U.S assuring the American government that they didn't want to escalate the situation into a war. And not to nitpick, but more german civilians were killed in WWII by allied bombers than by the two nuclear bombs dropped on Japan. If I'm not mistaken combined casualties in Germany were more than four times higher than in Japan, not that that somehow justifies what either of them did. Just setting things straight.

Also, as un-PC as it might be to say, the holocaust is far from the only genocide ever inflicted on the earth. Countries and civilizations have been commiting acts of genocide for as long the human race has been around, and they still are. Russians have one of the longest standing histories of systematic mass murder, and in their case it's usually their own citizens. Japan has invaded and occupied China and Korea how many times? You can't justify it either way, but before you pontificate it helps to have some perspective.

Edit - sorry for the OT.

On topic - what is the car in the middle in this pic?

http://picserv.pixio.nl/~picserver/i...41997091//04p9

Last edited by picus; 03-15-06 at 10:52 AM.

Quick Reply: WOW, Russia is doing it big these days (56K=NOPE)