Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which one?
Toyota 4 Runner
85.00%
Nissan Xterra
15.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Xterra or 4runner....????

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-06, 07:09 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDesertGS
Well, it's time to get rid of the wifes 03' Camry and figured we would have the car/SUV combo in the household. Without being biased since we are all in the Toyota family.....Whats your thoughts on either??? I like both of these vehicles.

I'm trying to stay in the $24-$28K range. Don't need 4wd.

Thanks.....
I test drove the 4 Runner and wasn't impressed, I decided to stay with my Lexus RX300. The interior is just cheap looking with that silver dash and funky HVAC controls.

Why not get a loaded 03 RX300 w/NAV etc.
Old 03-15-06, 07:10 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Default There is no debating

This should not even be a poll. 4 Runner for the above mentioned reasons. Now the Pathfinder is something I'd consider out of the Nissan family.
Old 03-15-06, 08:41 PM
sc430blue
Lead Lap

I've got over 300k miles on my toyota landcruiser and it is still going strong. Mind you I ride my cars/trucks hard. The landcruiser been thru some severe 4 wheeling and never missed a beat.
Old 03-15-06, 10:32 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

FJCRUISER!!!! uhh i mean 4runner....
Old 03-16-06, 02:37 PM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Well, it's time to get rid of the wifes 03' Camry and figured we would have the car/SUV combo in the household. Without being biased since we are all in the Toyota family.....Whats your thoughts on either??? I like both of these vehicles.

I'm trying to stay in the $24-$28K range. Don't need 4wd.

Thanks.....

X-terra is out.....But now I'm considering the Honda Pilot. I like the size, 3 rows of seats, looks and all the safety ratings I'm seeing. Now keep in mind...the wife will be driving it. This kind of vehicle would not be my choice for a daily driver. Any Pilot owners out there? (new one)
Old 03-16-06, 10:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

X-terra is out.....But now I'm considering the Honda Pilot. I like the size, 3 rows of seats, looks and all the safety ratings I'm seeing. Now keep in mind...the wife will be driving it. This kind of vehicle would not be my choice for a daily driver. Any Pilot owners out there? (new one)
i sat in one couple of times. really not that impressed by it. pressy spacious that's for sure, but build quality is so-so, and it's pretty damn stiff
Old 03-17-06, 04:24 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi AZDesersGS,

Bought my wife a 2004 Pilot in Nov 2003. We have 30K care free miles on it! If the size works for you I think it would be an awesome buy for you coming out of a Camry. It rides smooth and quiet, has awesome pick up, gets good gas miliage & again has been trouble free.

My brother who swore by his wife's Grand Cherokee for years, drove my wife's Pilot when we got it and was so impressed with how 'tight' is was that within a month had sold the Jeep and bought a new Pilot! (ps my bro is a '02 LS430 owner)

TripleL
Old 03-17-06, 03:14 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tested both the Honda Pilot and the Acura MDX before I got my 06 GX470. The Pilot just had a cheaper feel to the whole vehicle (the MDX was just a little bit better) and I also never buy a vehicle without a floor/console mounted shifter. The Pilot just offers that old fashioned column shifter.
Old 03-18-06, 09:16 AM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's keep in mind that the poster doesn't want to go over $28K! That leaves out a lot of the vehicles.

I just shopped around for an SUV before buying my GX, but I was looking at the higher price point. I wanted real 4WD, with ability to lock differentials and 4WD low, so the Accura MDX /Pilot was out. If you just want 2WD, there is no need to limit yourself to the 4Runner/XTerra/Pathfinder models - these are truck type SUVs made for people who like 4WD.
You are probably going to have to get the really stripped version if you want to keep the price point down.
Old 03-18-06, 12:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Yes, between the 4Runner and XTerra the 4Runner IMO is the way to go. Both are truck-based and will ride stiffly and not handle well...and both are high, narrow, and tipsy. But, while I don't like the 4Runner's cheap-looking silver-painted plastic and tinny-feeling and sounding doors, there is no denying its greater overall refinement than the Xterra and its bulletproof reliability......our local Toyota dealers here think nothing of selling used ones with 150,000 miles on them even with dealer warranties....they are THAT durable.

However, for your ( and your wife's ) specific needs, I question the wisdom of buying a stiff-riding, bouncy, truck-based SUV in the first place. There are a number of reasonably priced, durable, well-designed car-based FWD or AWD vehicles ( you said you may not need AWD ) in the mid-to-high 20's price range you are looking at. The RAV4, Honda CRV, Hyundai Santa Fe ( with its newfound quality and 10-year drivetrain warranty ) and Subaru Foresters and Outbacks are a good places to start looking....for my money it is tough to beat Subarus in their price range. Foresters, Legacys and Outbacks are all available with 250-HP turbo engines and manual trannies if you want power. I myself have an Outback...I love it.
Old 03-18-06, 04:11 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

3rd gen 4-runner with 3.4 v6 - $20k +/-

TRD supercharger - $2k

URD fuel upgrade and management - $1k

(TRD headers/exhaust optional)

You'll have a 14 second quarter mile truck, tons of torque, proven reliability, and excellent resale value for both the vehicle and parts.
Old 03-19-06, 09:59 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

As what most of the people have said---4Runner.

Relative of ours has one, 2WD, V6. Drives pretty smoothly, the ride isn't that rough, and the build quality is top notch.
Old 03-19-06, 01:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by RX_330
As what most of the people have said---4Runner.

Relative of ours has one, 2WD, V6. Drives pretty smoothly, the ride isn't that rough, and the build quality is top notch.
Yes....the 2WD version generally rides smoother than the 4WD one for two reasons. First, there is less unsprung under the suspension because you don't have as many driveshafts and differentials, and, Second, the suspension itself is a little more supple because in most cases 2WD versions don't go off-road. However, the 2WD version, like 2WD Toyota pickups, has rather poor traction on slippery surfaces....( standard ABS helps keep the rear wheels from locking up while braking ) and you can't throw snow or sand in the bed for more weight and traction like you can with pickups.

I respect RX_330's opinion, but I still don't think you or your wife need a truck-based SUV.....the car-based ones like the RAV4, Highlander, Pilot, CRV, Forester, Outback, etc......would be better suited for your everyday needs.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-19-06 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-20-06, 09:26 AM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kietlander
lol that C&D article is a joke. they didnt add the toyota in for a reason. it will blow all of those SUVs out the water. u can buy a 4 runner at below invoice. RAV4 is a very hot seller they wont be giving those away anytime soon. If you want to know how to get the best deal on a 4Runner.... send in an internet price quote request threw edmunds, toyota website, autobytel, dealix, and so forth. you will be receiving emials and phone calls from the dealers that u sent the request to. they will give you a price. that price should be like 500-700 over invoice. then you can talk them down the rest. WAIT for the end of the month to do so as well. o yeah i know all this cuz i used to work for a toyota dealership. and o yeah... DONT take any of the warrenties. they are a big waste of money.
The new 4runner is not as good of a off-road vehicle as it use to be. It is more car like now. The Xterra still has the rough off-road ability under its skin like the original 4runner did. Now if you wanted a offroad SUV the xterra would be it. But if its for your wife and daily around town, nice comfy ride and reilable, get the Toyota.
Old 03-20-06, 12:23 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

I thought the new 4Runner drove almost exactly like the RX300 now.

In your situation I woudl get a Highlander though.

Quick Reply: Xterra or 4runner....????