Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nissan Develops Gas Pedal Safety Feature

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-06, 09:02 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Nissan Develops Gas Pedal Safety Feature

By YURI KAGEYAMA, AP Business Writer

Tue Mar 14, 11:04 PM ET

YOKOSUKA, Japan - A new safety feature being developed by Nissan Motor Co. causes a car's gas pedal to lift by itself to alert the driver of a possible collision.

That new technology, shown to reporters this week, combines radar sensors and a computer system to judge a car's speed and the distance to the vehicle in front.

When the car senses a possible head-on crash, the gas pedal automatically rises against the driver's foot as a signal to step on the brake.

If sensors detect a possible collision ahead, the brake automatically kicks in when the driver lifts his or her foot off the gas.

A buzz also goes off in what Nissan engineers tentatively dubbed the "magic bumper."

Skeptics may see the technology as obtrusive, perhaps even risky, given that some drivers may prefer to rely on their own reflexes.

But Nissan says the magic bumper is helpful because research has shown that more than half of traffic accidents are caused by inattention, drowsiness and carelessness, rather than error in judgment and or illegalities such as speeding and drunken driving.

It's a safety feature that comes in particularly handy on congested roads, the Japanese auto maker said.

Senior manager Yousuke Akatsu hopes to offer the feature in about two or three years in Japan, and also aims to offer it in the United States and Europe, although no plans have been set.

The technology is part of the Tokyo-based company's larger effort to create the accident-proof car. So far, Nissan offers cruise control, warnings for cars veering off lanes and a system that helps drivers brake harder in emergencies.

A driver keeps eyes on a vehicle running ahead during a test of Nissan Motor Co.'s new safety feature dubbed 'magic bumber' that causes a car's gas pedal to lift by itself to alert the driver of a possible collision at a Nissan's test facility in Yokosuka, southwest of Tokyo, Tuesday, March 14, 2006. That new technology combines radar sensors and a computer system to judge a car's speed and the distance to the vehicle in front.

Also shown in a demonstration at a facility near Tokyo was a car-navigation monitor that uses digital cameras lodged in the front and back of the car, as well as in the sideview mirrors, to show a computer-graphic bird's eye view of the car.

The AVM, or "around view monitor," shows what's surrounding the car from all around, putting together photo images from the cameras to help drivers steer into tight parking spots — very useful in a crowded country like Japan.

Commercial plans for the feature are still undecided, according to Nissan.

Nissan officials demonstrated a paint job offered in Japan that fixes itself of slight scratches caused by car-washing, off-road driving or fingernails. To speed up the repair of the elastic resin, which works like a rubbery surface, hot water was poured on a surface after it was scraped with a bristled metal brush.

All these features are part of the ongoing competition among major automakers around the world to attract buyers, and the fancy ones still tend to come in expensive models.

From Toyota Motor Corp. is Intelligent Parking Assist system, in which the car parks by itself — even if the driver has no hands on the steering wheel — calculating from its built-in computer, steering sensor and a tiny camera in the rear the proper route into a parking spot.

U.S. automaker General Motors Corp. has said it plans to make electronic stability control standard on all of its light-duty trucks by 2010. Ford Motor Co. has shown an experimental inflatable seat belt that deploys inside the shoulder belt in a crash, adding protection to the chest.

source HERE
Old 03-15-06, 09:33 PM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This stuff is crazy man. Cars parking by themselves...braking on their own...too high-tech for me. I just kinda feel like I should be in total control of my car..not the other way around.
Old 03-15-06, 11:09 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I wish they would invent a car that would perform its own oil changes, and pumps up gas on its own
Old 03-15-06, 11:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

actually i think this could be a pretty damn good feature, nice job nissan
Old 03-16-06, 06:23 AM
LexFather

Looking at the pic, you would have to be BLIND as a bat to miss the giant spaceship tailights of the Fuga

I think its a good idea. Even when my foot steps off the gas today, I do notice it asap. I hope this works when your in cruise control as well.

Old 03-16-06, 08:56 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

more electronics for crappy drivers
Old 03-20-06, 02:09 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Magic Bumper: Nissan Gas Pedal Takes Control to Prevent Crashes

TOKYO — Nissan is showing a new safety system that warns the driver of an impending collision ahead by lifting the gas pedal.

The system employs sensors and radar that judge the car's speed and distance to the vehicle ahead. When a collision is imminent, the system raises the gas pedal to signal the driver to apply the brakes. As a next step, when the driver lifts off the throttle, the brakes are automatically applied.

Nissan has dubbed its system the "magic bumper." The company said its research has shown that more than half of traffic accidents are caused by inattention, drowsiness or carelessness.

Company officials said the device could see production in Japan in the next three years, and sometime after that in the U.S. and Europe.

What this means to you: Need a quick translation of "What the heck is wrong with this stupid gas pedal" in Japanese? Stop short in front of a Nissan next time in Tokyo to find out.

Source: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...cleId=109663#2
Old 03-20-06, 04:59 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Thats cool. Next is the car that completely drives itself. Honda has a system out that can almost do that in Japan(under testing I believe)
Old 03-21-06, 01:28 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my father has a 03 Q45 with the automatically adjusting cruise control -- it flipped out over a bridge abutment that was 4 lanes away (I was in the fast lane, the abutment was well to the right of the brakedown lane)

The radar adjusting cruise control began to panic brake the Q45, and then gave a long "beeeeeeep" as if to say "you're screwed" and turned itself off.

needless to say, I was the only car on the highway, and I wasn't screwed.

...This should be rich
Old 03-21-06, 04:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
actually i think this could be a pretty damn good feature, nice job nissan
Not sure what you mean by " good " ? ........Yes, it may prevent some rear-enders, but it certainly doesn't do anything to encourage drivers to pay attention. Same with Infiniti's lane-change drift warning and the radar-cruise control devices.
Besides, some cars are getting SO complex electronically that when an alarm DOES go off or something like the gas pedal shakes, there are so many things it could be that it takes a good amount of deciphering just to recognize what it is and what corrective action has to be taken.
Old 03-21-06, 08:24 AM
Falcon LS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's all interesting, but one thing that's got me wondering is...what if there's a car behind you and it applies the brakes. I'm sure they have something arranged for that though...
Old 03-21-06, 08:29 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

isn't this similar to the new adaptive cruise control system in the S class that didn't work on german national tv?

but tweaked a little so it beeps and isn't connected to the cruise control system?
Old 03-21-06, 08:55 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not sure what you mean by " good " ? ........Yes, it may prevent some rear-enders, but it certainly doesn't do anything to encourage drivers to pay attention. Same with Infiniti's lane-change drift warning and the radar-cruise control devices.
Besides, some cars are getting SO complex electronically that when an alarm DOES go off or something like the gas pedal shakes, there are so many things it could be that it takes a good amount of deciphering just to recognize what it is and what corrective action has to be taken.
it's both ways how you see it then, isn't it? i can even argue that airbad makes people more careless coz' they know they can go a bit faster and have better chance of living.

manufacturers can, and will, only continue to develop more features to aid driving, avoid human errors, and protect passengers as much as possible
Old 03-21-06, 09:48 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

more tech to compensate for stupid/crap drivers no thanks, this kinda crap just encourages people not to pay more attention:

"oh I got this new nissan gas pedal collision prevention tech, looks like I dont have to pay attention as much since the car will help me if something goes bad"