Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Another IS350 vs. 330i comparo (like we havent had enough)

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-06, 07:45 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GlobeCLK
- the IS is not big but the 3 series is not exactly any more useable.
IS EPA class: sub-compact, 85.7 cu.ft of passenger space
3 EPA class: compact, 93 cu.ft of passenger space

The IS is the physically larger car in terms of exterior dimensions, yet is classified as a "sub-compact" by the EPA because its internal dimensions are so small. There's a huge difference between the two. It's plenty more usable. There's so much of a difference that they're not even in the same EPA class.

- the IS was available with a wagon and the new coupe will be out soon. No one buys the wagons anyways.
Ever been to Europe lately or anywhere in the rest of the world? Wagons are extremely popular. Replace every SUV you see on the road in the US with a wagon in the rest of the world and that's pretty much how the world market is. Lots of wagons and very few SUVs. Wagons are getting more and more popular in the US the more gas prices rise too.

- those backseats are NOT useful. I sit in the back of one ever week and it gives me more cramps than my GF's PMS.
You've really got to be kidding me, or maybe you're talking about an E46 which was definitely more cramped than the E90.

IS rear leg room: 30.6 in
3 rear leg room: 34.6 in

One of these cars I could "sit behind myself in" (at 6'3") in a pinch, and with somebody shorter driving I had enough room to be comfortable, although probably not for extended trips. The IS I took one look, laughed, and did not even bother trying to get in the back. The 3-series has so much more usable passenger space it's not even funny. There's no comparison. One would get a pass for a small family, the other one is really a 2+2 not intended to seat 4.

- having AWD on all powertrains DOESN'T make it a better car
Again, are you kidding? AWD is extremely popular especially in the US market. I see tons of G35x, M35x, 325/330xi, Audi Quattros, and Merc 4Matics all around where I am. Marketers have people convinced that they need AWD in their cars in the US and they buy them like hot cakes.

If I want AWD in the IS, I do not get a 0-60 better than 8.3s (which is pathetic) due to it only being availble in the underpowered 250. The 325xi gets you to 60 in 7.7s (auto), 7.1s (manual), and the 330xi in 6.6s (auto) and 6.3s (manual). Sorry, 8.3 from the IS250 AWD doesn't cut it for me. If that's all Lexus has vs all the people that want AWD, then I guarantee you there's going to be a lot of escaped sales to BMW and other makes that actually offer some power with their AWD.

- the 325i engine has larger displacement but performance results are not that much of a difference.
Again you have to be kidding me. The rated power might be about the same, but the 325i is extremely under-rated. Stock dyno (201 rwhp, 182 rwtq) on a Dynojet 248C SAE corrected is more suggestive of about 235 bhp and 215 lb-ft of torque. The same guy that got this dyno ran 14.7 @ 94 at the track stock with the manual. No IS250 is going to pull off times like that. Unlike the 325, the 250 probably really does have about 215hp/185tq and isn't just under-rated like the 325 is, due to only being a 2.5L engine.

http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...ad.php?t=65874

Anyways, MFR specs 0-60.

325i man: 6.7s
250 man: 7.9s
---
325i auto: 7.2s
250 auto: 7.9s
---
325xi auto: 7.7s
250x auto: 8.3s

The 325i manual vs the IS250 manual is a second and a half faster. That's like the difference between my old Accord V6 auto and my Maxima which is a manual. It's a night and day difference. The 325 is 0.6-0.7s faster vs other configurations. That will definitely register on the butt-dyno. I see lots of complaints about the IS250 being "under powered" from test drives I've read about on other forums, but no such complaints about the 325i.

- you're right, the electronic nannys are easily defeated (meaning they don't work)
umm, ok.

- better styling (subjective, but the 3 series won ugliest car 2005 from Top Gear)
I really could care less about what Top Gear or any other magazine says about subjective points. I care about what I think, and I think the IS is ugly, and my wife does too.

i'll give you the better handling part.

So in the end, people who pick the 3 series pick it because of performance, and that's where the 3 has an obvious edge. I got nothing against that. It does feel better or whatever when cornering. I think that when you compare cars, you can pick a BETTER PERFORMER from performance, but you can't pick a better CAR simply because of performance. When you take out the handling of the 3 series, I really don't see much left. But for the IS, the extra power bragging rights are just the beginning.

Why live in 1 dimension?
I think you're being overly apologetic to Lexus. Clearly, the car has shortcomings vs the E90 beyond that of just handling or fun to drive quotient, and this is coming from a person that would greatly prefer ownership of a Lexus over a BMW anyday.
Old 03-21-06, 08:03 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
The only 330 against IS350 arguement is "oh my 330 handles better" Too bad the IS350 kills the 330 in all other aspects, reliability, build quality, straight line accel, standards features, price, interior design, audio system, at least lexus wont nickel and dime you to death by having the nerve to charge for leather metallic paint and floor mats on a $40k car

the 330 is a one trick pony and its only trick is handling, too one dimensional, and it lacks everywhere else.
Maybe the IS350 "kills" the 330 in the "Lexus camp" way of thinking, but that method of analysis in itself is extremely one-dimensional. The car may be a better car for you but not hardly for a lot of other people out there, myself included.
Old 03-21-06, 08:19 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Why oh why are our boards so full of BMW fans? What on earth is the point of a 4-page long post on a Lexus board telling us why the 3 series is better than our car when obviously almost all of us here chose the IS???

Furthermore why do you even care Stevetec? You drive an accord and a Maxima!
Old 03-21-06, 08:22 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by akhbhaat
Before I say anything else, it is important to point out that the automotive press is a joke and worth little more than mere entertainment to the discerning consumer. I don't need to be told what is and what is not desirable about a particular car - I can judge that for myself! My preferences, tastes, and priorities are quite likely to differ from that of somebody else - so I must consider their evaluations within the proper context.

If you are unable to do the same, then you are little better than a mindless lemming.
Could not agree more, and in fact I dropped all of my subscriptions (MT, C&D, R&T) years ago. I got Autoweek for a year, but the online stuff was up sometimes days before I got my paper copy so I dropped that too. I like reading about hard news from the industry, and automotive monthlies are an obsolete way of delivering that.

Originally Posted by akhbhaat
Another curious phenomenon is the rampant fanboyism (I really cannot think of a better word within a modern context) that seems to run through most consumers today. Why are so many people so quick to rabidly defend their purchases? Objectivity is a virtue - emotional response is not!
And if anybody wonders why Honda/Acura products are so boring and uncompetitive, a good part of it is probably because they have legions of fiercely loyal buyers who will buy nothing else, consider nothing else, apologize for and downplay every flaw, and grossly exaggerate the virtues. Combine that with an automotive press that for years was afraid to say anything "too critical" of Honda out of fear of "upsetting subscribers" and you have the dull and boring products of Honda and Acura today. Ditto with GM and Ford who also have fiercely loyal buyers. This isolates companies from the competition and when that happens there's less drive to make killer products that people want to buy.

I'm an equal opportunity hater.
Old 03-21-06, 08:28 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by diablo1
Why oh why are our boards so full of BMW fans? What on earth is the point of a 4-page long post on a Lexus board telling us why the 3 series is better than our car when obviously almost all of us here chose the IS???
If people have to distort the truth and make apologetic points to prove their car is "better" then that is not what I would call a very convincing argument. The IS has plenty of flaws which are easy to pick out, and I'm not even a "BMW fan". I have plenty of criticism for BMW too.

Edit: as for which is "better", it all depends on what your specific criteria is.

Perhaps because I'm in the market for a new car and like Lexus??

Last edited by SteVTEC; 03-21-06 at 08:38 AM.
Old 03-21-06, 08:42 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
If people have to distort the truth and make apologetic points to prove their car is "better" then that is not what I would call a very convincing argument. The IS has plenty of flaws which are easy to pick out, and I'm not even a "BMW fan". I have plenty of criticism for BMW too.

Edit: as for which is "better", it all depends on what your specific criteria is.

Perhaps because I'm in the market for a new car and like Lexus??
That's fine, I just don't know what the point is of people that come to this site and have so many bad things to say about the IS. We are all well aware of its flaws as well as its advantages. I guess you guys just like to argue?
Old 03-21-06, 08:50 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

this is the "Car Chat" forum....
Old 03-21-06, 10:53 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Well I do like BMWs, but I also have respect for other car brands (Lexus included). In fact, up until the 1st of this month, I owned TWO Lexuses!

I think the BMW 3-series has some great traits, as does the IS - different strokes for different folks. My posts here have been consistent with this theory and only when someone writes something that I disagree with do I respond.

I don't think your question regarding why SteVTEC cares is appropriate. I can assure you that there are plenty of people on this forum (including others in this thread!) who do not drive a Lexus much less drive at all! SteVTEC is a car enthusiast and while I don't always agree with him, he makes good points and is fun to debate with and that's what "Car Chat" is all about!

PS - We are getting off topic, therefore I think it may be time to have this thread closed.
Old 03-21-06, 11:00 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

I apologize if it was inappropriate, but I also think it is inappropriate to go on a Lexus forum and make exhausting and repetitive arguments to Lexus owners about why their cars are bad. I agree that Steve is usually a good poster and I've had good interactions with him before too. The repetitive bashing just gets old. But I think it's a moot point anyway, since I'm sure this thread will be closed soon.
Old 03-21-06, 11:33 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

Diablo1-
From reading the above, I don't think SteVTEC was bashing the Lexus or saying that it's all bad. He was just comparing the 2 cars with RAW numbers and I think you interpreted it as bad and bashing.
Old 03-21-06, 11:54 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

I will leave it to the moderators to decide what is appropriate and what isn't. I guess I should have known what I was getting into when I decided to read this thread. 330 vs IS350 discussions are always the most contentious (and often the least useful) that you will find on this website.