Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

3.5 liter

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-06, 02:03 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
the camry engine production cost is reduced to 50% of the previous costs by using this 3.5 everywhere. Im pretty sick of hearing these i6 = god's gift to engine configurations boasts in almost every BMW IS forum. 2JZ vs what is out now is a dinosaur of an engine, BMW had to slap a turbo with DI on theirs to make it equal in power to the 350 engine. Things evolve, if you want toyota/lexus to offer the most on their cars while keeping prices down, you have to let them streamline. i6 for RWD only is terrible if you want to streamline production and cut production costs
Bump all that cost crap let toyota have their motors to compete with hondas nissans kias and hyudas and let the Lexus compete with the big boys with their own line of engines them boys at work are killing me by saying that gs motor is the same motor in my grandmas Avalon see i tell the fellas that my engine is the one in the supra not the camry then they shut up.
Old 03-20-06, 02:30 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawnmack
Bump all that cost crap let toyota have their motors to compete with hondas nissans kias and hyudas and let the Lexus compete with the big boys with their own line of engines them boys at work are killing me by saying that gs motor is the same motor in my grandmas Avalon see i tell the fellas that my engine is the one in the supra not the camry then they shut up.
its a good thing you dont run a business. Anyways Id rather beat someone and say an avalon engine beat you vs a supra i6 beating you
Old 03-20-06, 03:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

2jz fans sounds like Chevy 'small' block fans of yesteryear.

The 2jz is a HEAVY engine (which hurts fuel economy) and it's NOT powerful without big turbos. So get over it - the 2jz is dead.
Old 03-20-06, 03:18 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Shawnmack
Yeah I agree with Eyecon7 I believe toyota should have kept the inline six for their rear drive cars.
That I-6 was made pretty much FOR TURBO applications, I.e the SUPRA. When that car left, the2JZ is pretty much not used to its full potental. Its possibly the worlds strongest engine yet without turbos in the SC 3, IS 3 and GS3 making around 220hp.

This engine has the same fuel economy as the LEXUS V-8 and weighs 2 lbs less. Think about that for a second. On top of that, its no where near a clean engine, while all Lexus are ULEV II compliant!!

That engines time has past.

Originally Posted by eyecon7
if u guys wanna say copy blah blah maybe on design yea...... but it is doing a better job at stealing ure designs look at the new G coupe that thing is Sic..... and for engine wise toyota should have kept the 2jz like Bmw inline 6 baby..... casue i dont think the Gr motor is all that ..... and come on no 6spd with all that power thats whack..... but yea the auto trannies on lexus and toyota are WAY better then nissan..... thats the only thing i have a compliant on is my tranny.....
You came in here asking a question about Toyota's 3.5. You have no idea about the reasonings, so to say Toyota should have kept the 2JZ is a statement made by fast and furious types.

The VQ is a great engine. THe GR adds DUAL VVTI and direct injection. Makes the VQ look like a prehistoric pushrod.

i'll tell you one thing Nissan/Infiniti knows how to fine tune the exhaust.... but i am a lexus fan but im not into the L finese..... and i think lexus should fire there design engineer and hire infiniti's .IMO
There is a Lexus designer, called L-finesse. There is no Infiniti designer, they literally are Nissans with Infiniti badges. Skyline, Fuga, Cima, etc etc.

That is why all Nissans look the same. THey are all Nissans. In America, they are Infiniti's and in a couple other markets they are at like Sudan and French Guiena, lol

Old 03-20-06, 03:20 PM
LexFather

LOl, you guys do know there are engineering decisions made about engine choices. You don't just say "Hey lets put a I-6 in it". I-6 is a long engine, thus hoods must be longer and taller .They also require extra plumbing.

A V-6 is much for space efficient and in the correct degree angle, very vibration free. Notice no V-4s right? They are disasters to cars (ask Ford Europe in the 1970s).

Old 03-20-06, 03:52 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Werd, my thought exactly. Read and learn a little something about the GR-engine in this link....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ight=GR-series
Old 03-20-06, 06:08 PM
eyecon7
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

There is a Lexus designer, called L-finesse. There is no Infiniti designer, they literally are Nissans with Infiniti badges. Skyline, Fuga, Cima, etc etc.

That is why all Nissans look the same. THey are all Nissans. In America, they are Infiniti's and in a couple other markets they are at like Sudan and French Guiena, lol
WHAT Then what is lexus........ ARISTO...ALTEZZA......Windom...............What are you talking about.... who cares about there disgner i think he's an idoit.... casue before this lfinese came out... i was like nothing can touch lexus it looks nice reliable and the designs were of the chain....... i was crazy bout the GS in 98 and all there other designs...... but i dont like this new grill and lights......but the my opinion.....
Old 03-20-06, 06:12 PM
LexFather

WHAT Then what is lexus........ ARISTO...ALTEZZA......Windom...............What are you talking about.... who cares about there disgner i think he's an idoit.... casue before this lfinese came out... i was like nothing can touch lexus it looks nice reliable and the designs were of the chain....... i was crazy bout the GS in 98 and all there other designs...... but i dont like this new grill and lights......but the my opinion.....
Lexus=sold worlwide since 1989. ONLY in Japan, rebadged as Aristo, Celsior etc. Lexus did not have these cars as the Aristo, and decided to rebadge them and sell them worldwide.

Nissan is different, it was the other way around. First, Infiniti didn't have a worldwide dealer network until recently (And not being sold in Europe means pretty much USA only). They literally rebadge their cars to this day.

2 different approaches. For instance, the IS 200 debuted in Europe the SAME TIME it was the Toyota Altezza in Japan. Its not that it was an Altezza and Lexus said "hey lets bring it over".

Just informing you of some things.

Old 03-22-06, 01:14 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOl, you guys do know there are engineering decisions made about engine choices. You don't just say "Hey lets put a I-6 in it". I-6 is a long engine, thus hoods must be longer and taller .They also require extra plumbing.

A V-6 is much for space efficient and in the correct degree angle, very vibration free. Notice no V-4s right? They are disasters to cars (ask Ford Europe in the 1970s).

One can't just pull a new I6 out of their *** either... it requires R&D. Toyota knew they needed a new V6, no point in dropping tons of money into an engine for ONE car.

I agree with 1sicklex's comments on the 2jz. It is totally badass for what its made for. But it is not emissions friendly; it gets TERRIBLE gas mileage (paying near $3/gal and getting 19mpg are starting to **** me off), and its not very powerful without forced induction.

Its time has passed as a good STOCK engine...
Old 03-22-06, 06:59 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Bean
One can't just pull a new I6 out of their *** either... it requires R&D. Toyota knew they needed a new V6, no point in dropping tons of money into an engine for ONE car.

I agree with 1sicklex's comments on the 2jz. It is totally badass for what its made for. But it is not emissions friendly; it gets TERRIBLE gas mileage (paying near $3/gal and getting 19mpg are starting to **** me off), and its not very powerful without forced induction.

Its time has passed as a good STOCK engine...
Yes, the 2JZ is one of the few LEGENDARY engine while still in production! As it becomes harder to mod cars, cars with this engine will get higher in demand.

ALL HAIL 2JZ!!!

Old 03-22-06, 08:13 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think some of you are giving the JZ or Inline-6 engines in general enough credit. At least in the case of the JZ, it was always a performance tuned engine with "GE" heads, which means performance in Toyota/Lexus terminology if I'm not mistaken as opposed to "FE" heads. They also had rather short gearing as well. Even the automatic gearing in the IS300 had the engine turning at or around 3000 rpm in top gear at 75 mph. Clearly it's tuned for performance and response over fuel efficiency. If you look back at the gearing on the GS3, SC3, and Supra you'll probably find about the same thing too. On top of that, these previous generation engines were not the benefit of newer engine technologies that can work wonders fuel efficiency on moderately powered engines, most notably electronic throttle control. Modern I-6 engines like BMW's N52 or GM's LL8 (Vortec 4200 I-6 in the Trailblazer) are fully capable of both good power, mileage, and emissions all at the same time.

I think it's already been mentioned, but it just comes down to money. With a lineup of both FWD and RWD based cars, an Inline-6 and its packaging constraints just don't work. Better to put all your money into one single kick-butt global V6 (like Nissan and the VQ) rather than have double the overhead costs of maintaining two different 6-cyl engine lineups. BMW can get away with keeping the Inline-6 engine around because they only sell RWD vehicles where the I-6 is a much easier fit. When they need to crank up the power, it's far more cost-effective for them to add forced induction to their I-6 lineup than it would be to make a V-6 that's capable of higher displacements. And a V-6 is against BMW philosophy anyways.

Toyota "could have" kept the 2JZ around, but there's just no business case to do so, the GR engines are capable of far more naturally aspirated power, and the only people that will really miss the I-6 are the handful of enthusiasts that are on these forums.

Just think of it this way. The 2JZ has become a legend, and it's better for a legend to quit while it's on top and go out in style rather than keep it around for years in some watered down form.
Old 03-22-06, 11:57 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
Just think of it this way. The 2JZ has become a legend, and it's better for a legend to quit while it's on top and go out in style rather than keep it around for years in some watered down form.
Yep. Legends and heroes are usually dead.
Old 07-04-06, 01:58 PM
Reyes
Rookie

How many of you think it be a good idea swaping the 3.5 V6 motor in a sc300? Any pro's and cons will work thanks.
Old 07-04-06, 02:05 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Reyes
How many of you think it be a good idea swaping the 3.5 V6 motor in a sc300? Any pro's and cons will work thanks.
It should fit easlly the SC does hit a long I-6 and a V-8. Weight distribution will be odd since you'll have that long hood but a much shorter engine.

It sounds like a very original project

Old 07-04-06, 03:52 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Lexus=sold worlwide since 1989. ONLY in Japan, rebadged as Aristo, Celsior etc. Lexus did not have these cars as the Aristo, and decided to rebadge them and sell them worldwide.

Nissan is different, it was the other way around. First, Infiniti didn't have a worldwide dealer network until recently (And not being sold in Europe means pretty much USA only). They literally rebadge their cars to this day.
Lexus is clearly ahead of Infiniti in almost every regard. But I don't think there's all that much distinguishing the two companies/brands prior to the 2006 L-Finese design changes and the Japan Lexus debut.

Aristo/GS - available in Japan as a Toyota in 1991 - based on the Crown. Came to the US as the GS in 1993 (sold through 1997) = rebadge.

Harrier/RX - again, available in Japan in 1997, prior to the U.S. release of the RX300 in 1998 = rebadge.

Alteza/IS - In Japan since 1998, Europe +1 year and US got it as the IS in 2001 = rebadge.

Celsior/LS was developed w/ the US Lexus launch and US market in mind, but still badged a Toyota. So I'm not going to argue about this car.

Let's not forget the Camry/ES ... do I really need to say it? Yes - 1989/1990-2005 = rebadge.

And one more - Landcruiser/LX = rebadge (maybe the most overtly rebadged of any of them since we have both in the US market).

My point is - I don't see the big deal or difference between Lexus and Infiniti until recently in the way they manufactured and marketed their vehicles. Of course it's clear that in most cases the Toyota-derived Lexus vehicles were of higher quality than the Nissan-derived Infiniti vehicles - but that doesn't have anything to do w/ the marketing and operating approaches by these companies you're talking about.

M.

Last edited by videcormeum; 07-04-06 at 04:05 PM.

Quick Reply: 3.5 liter