Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

3.5 liter

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-06, 06:51 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by videcormeum
Lexus is clearly ahead of Infiniti in almost every regard. But I don't think there's all that much distinguishing the two companies/brands prior to the 2006 L-Finese design changes and the Japan Lexus debut.

Aristo/GS - available in Japan as a Toyota in 1991 - based on the Crown. Came to the US as the GS in 1993 (sold through 1997) = rebadge.

Harrier/RX - again, available in Japan in 1997, prior to the U.S. release of the RX300 in 1998 = rebadge.

Alteza/IS - In Japan since 1998, Europe +1 year and US got it as the IS in 2001 = rebadge.

Celsior/LS was developed w/ the US Lexus launch and US market in mind, but still badged a Toyota. So I'm not going to argue about this car.

Let's not forget the Camry/ES ... do I really need to say it? Yes - 1989/1990-2005 = rebadge.

And one more - Landcruiser/LX = rebadge (maybe the most overtly rebadged of any of them since we have both in the US market).

My point is - I don't see the big deal or difference between Lexus and Infiniti until recently in the way they manufactured and marketed their vehicles. Of course it's clear that in most cases the Toyota-derived Lexus vehicles were of higher quality than the Nissan-derived Infiniti vehicles - but that doesn't have anything to do w/ the marketing and operating approaches by these companies you're talking about.

M.

You forgot the SC crowd!
Old 07-04-06, 07:02 PM
LexFather

Lexus is clearly ahead of Infiniti in almost every regard. But I don't think there's all that much distinguishing the two companies/brands prior to the 2006 L-Finese design changes and the Japan Lexus debut.

Aristo/GS - available in Japan as a Toyota in 1991 - based on the Crown. Came to the US as the GS in 1993 (sold through 1997) = rebadge.

Harrier/RX - again, available in Japan in 1997, prior to the U.S. release of the RX300 in 1998 = rebadge.

Alteza/IS - In Japan since 1998, Europe +1 year and US got it as the IS in 2001 = rebadge.

Celsior/LS was developed w/ the US Lexus launch and US market in mind, but still badged a Toyota. So I'm not going to argue about this car.

Let's not forget the Camry/ES ... do I really need to say it? Yes - 1989/1990-2005 = rebadge.

And one more - Landcruiser/LX = rebadge (maybe the most overtly rebadged of any of them since we have both in the US market).

My point is - I don't see the big deal or difference between Lexus and Infiniti until recently in the way they manufactured and marketed their vehicles. Of course it's clear that in most cases the Toyota-derived Lexus vehicles were of higher quality than the Nissan-derived Infiniti vehicles - but that doesn't have anything to do w/ the marketing and operating approaches by these companies you're talking about.

M.

Sorry but they both produe cars but its light night and day. Every Infiniti has been discontinued one way or another. EVERY one.

Lexus has only expanded and built upon its reputation.

From a style perspective its not even close. Only the G35c can be considered a truly timeless car from them. Otherwise Lexus has the SC, even 1st LSs look fine older and GSs.

Infiniti redbadged. Lexus actually changed some body panels. Look at the Maxima/I30/35 compared to the Camry/ES.

Consumers were not fooled. And the I30/35 was another discontinued Infiniti.

Trust me, I OWNED a Nissan and WANTED to stay with the brand and go to Infiniti but the ES> lame G20 at the time and when the I30 came out, I wasn't impressed.

Old 07-04-06, 08:12 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eyecon7
if u guys wanna say copy blah blah maybe on design yea...... but it is doing a better job at stealing ure designs look at the new G coupe that thing is Sic..... and for engine wise toyota should have kept the 2jz like Bmw inline 6 baby..... casue i dont think the Gr motor is all that ..... and come on no 6spd with all that power thats whack..... but yea the auto trannies on lexus and toyota are WAY better then nissan..... thats the only thing i have a compliant on is my tranny.....
uummmm..... what?

But if you are trying to compare stock to stock with 2JZ-GE and 2GR-FSE motors, go drive 2IS and 1IS back to back. Then come back and tell us the difference.

But boosted 2JZ-GE or GTEs are whole different story.
Old 07-04-06, 08:14 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I didnt check the date
Old 07-04-06, 10:33 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Sorry but they both produe cars but its light night and day. Every Infiniti has been discontinued one way or another. EVERY one.

Trust me, I OWNED a Nissan and WANTED to stay with the brand and go to Infiniti but the ES> lame G20 at the time and when the I30 came out, I wasn't impressed.
Dude, we don't disagreee.

I own a Nissan NOW and I wouldn't move to an Infiniti.

Infiniti has done a lot wrong and even recently has had some hiccups (G35 interior for instance). But it's only recently (2006+) that Lexus has become a true top-tier luxury competitor all-around. The LS has always been a fantastic car - there's no doubt. But now the Lexus brand is becoming distinguished - worthy of competing - in the minds of consumers, at last - with the likes of Mercedes.

Happy 4th to you by the way!

M.
Old 07-05-06, 01:25 AM
xioix
Racer

M.
The ES was a Windowm