Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

3.5 liter

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-06, 11:59 AM
eyecon7
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 3.5 liter

yea this is probably in the wrong forum..... i just wanted to know why toyota brought out the 3.3 for like 2 yrs and stopped and brought the 3.5 in all there v6 now... it seems kinda of wired to me casue i now toyota doesnt change engines all the time and after bringing out a new 3.3.... the only 3.3 on its in right know as 2006 is sienna and highlander.... the freaking rav 4 has the 3.5...... and they brought out the 3.3 when the infiniti's vq35de was out...... does the 3.3 have problems or somthing

im a VQ fan casue i have one
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
\ /
Old 03-17-06, 12:24 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are using the 3.5 because it is a superior engine and it's not breaking the bank on making it
Old 03-17-06, 12:28 PM
LexFather

Moved here. A couple factors.
1. is constant evolution.
2. Is Nissan insists on having the same engine in every vehicle (and its a wonderful engine). Toyota is not taking that route to the extreme Nissan does
.3. With technology advancing, Toyota didn't or could not add dual VVTi and direct injection and other features to the older engines. Thus the new 3.5.
4. HP is selling to people and Toyota was not class leading here ,so a new engine was needed.
5. It was Nissan's VQ, not Infiniti's.

Most here are fans of the VQ, just a tremendous engine.

Old 03-17-06, 12:42 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by eyecon7
yea this is probably in the wrong forum..... i just wanted to know why toyota brought out the 3.3 for like 2 yrs and stopped and brought the 3.5 in all there v6 now... it seems kinda of wired to me casue i now toyota doesnt change engines all the time and after bringing out a new 3.3.... the only 3.3 on its in right know as 2006 is sienna and highlander.... the freaking rav 4 has the 3.5...... and they brought out the 3.3 when the infiniti's vq35de was out...... does the 3.3 have problems or somthing

| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
\ /
The 3.3L MZ V6 was simply a bored out version of the 3L V6 that had been around since the early 90s starting with the Camry.

Toyota had been developing a new generation V6, the GR V6 architecture, and the new V6 was not finished, so Toyota bumped displacement to 3.3L to keep competitive until the new V6 arrived.

Toyota may not seem like a company that changes things often, or relies on performance, but if you know anything about Toyota history, you should realize they're a company that adapts easily and learns from their mistakes. They continiously improvement in all aspects.

Toyota has publicly stated they in the future will focus more on performance and styling in their cars.
Old 03-17-06, 02:28 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

I think I read an article that the MZ-series engine was not compatible with longitudinal mountings for RWD applications, and that Toyota wanted a universal V6 engine that they could stick in anything (like the VQ). It's not as simple as just sticking the engine in in a different direction. Also, I'm not too sure what the displacement range of the MZ engine was, but it was deployed as 1MZ (3.0), 2MZ (2.5), and 3MZ (3.3). The VQ has been deployed at 2.0, 2.3, 2.5, 3.0, 3.5, and now 4.0L displacements (with a deck height extension), and every drivetrain config you can think of. It's probably the most flexible engine architecture on the planet. The MZ 3.3 was probably just a stop gap for the FWD based cars until Toyota got their new GR line out.

Also, I don't know what others impressions of the MZ engine are here, but that thing has the personality of a blender. Not exciting to drive at all, has a dull and droney sound, but it's damn torquey and gets the job done. Moves our 3900 lb Highlander around just fine, as long as premium is in the tank. I haven't test driven any GR-powered vehicle, but I hope it has a much more pleasing feel and better acoustic characteristics than the MZ. The torque of the MZ obliterates the 3.0 that was in my Honda, but at least the Honda sounded pretty damn cool.
Old 03-17-06, 10:40 PM
eyecon7
Lead Lap

i'll tell you one thing Nissan/Infiniti knows how to fine tune the exhaust.... but i am a lexus fan but im not into the L finese..... and i think lexus should fire there design engineer and hire infiniti's .IMO
Old 03-17-06, 11:06 PM
xioix
Racer

i'll tell you one thing Nissan/Infiniti knows how to fine tune the exhaust.... but i am a lexus fan but im not into the L finese..... and i think lexus should fire there design engineer and hire infiniti's .IMO
I'd have to disagree, and the M takes styling cues from Toyota's
Old 03-18-06, 01:22 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fat chance when Lexus is actually selling cars I think the M and Q45 look rather bland. And don't get me started on the Infiniti interior design

I like the VQ motor; its pretty cool for a previous generation V6. The new V6 generation is now defined by the GR V6. Several manufacturers are following suit... the new V6s are all now makiing 280-300hp with ease without being stretched thin at all.

It is so far ahead of the VQ its really funny. It gets better gas mileage, makes a lot more power and torque, and has lower emissions.
Old 03-19-06, 02:36 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bean
I like the VQ motor; its pretty cool for a previous generation V6. The new V6 generation is now defined by the GR V6. Several manufacturers are following suit... the new V6s are all now makiing 280-300hp with ease without being stretched thin at all.

It is so far ahead of the VQ its really funny. It gets better gas mileage, makes a lot more power and torque, and has lower emissions.
I agree that the GR engines are ahead of the VQ at this point, but a lot of those cars are due for redesign shortly also. I would expect to see direct injected variants, dual VVT (most only have single currently), and rumor has it a displacement bump to 3.7L. The Fed spec emission VQs run just as cleanly as Fed spec GR engines, although the Cali-spec GR is good for ULEV II vs LEV II for the VQ. As far as fuel consumption goes, a G35 automatic is running about 2800-3000 rpm at 75 mph vs only the lower 2000 rpm range for the IS350. Nissan tends to keep their overdrive gears a lot shorter for more response and better performance, but at the expense of fuel economy. In that case you're not talking about the engine but rather the gearing. My Maxima runs about 3300 rpm in 5th at 75 mph. It's great at 50-70 mph because you never need to downshift, but beyond that it's just plain annoying and wastes gas. it's impossible to keep the engine loaded properly in its optimal efficiency range on the highway and the result is high fuel consumption, but it has nothing to do with the engine itself. It's all in the short gearing.
Old 03-19-06, 04:33 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
\ /
What's the red car on the left, a Skyline? Nice looking!
Old 03-19-06, 10:17 PM
eyecon7
Lead Lap

if u guys wanna say copy blah blah maybe on design yea...... but it is doing a better job at stealing ure designs look at the new G coupe that thing is Sic..... and for engine wise toyota should have kept the 2jz like Bmw inline 6 baby..... casue i dont think the Gr motor is all that ..... and come on no 6spd with all that power thats whack..... but yea the auto trannies on lexus and toyota are WAY better then nissan..... thats the only thing i have a compliant on is my tranny.....
Old 03-20-06, 09:58 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

if u guys wanna say copy blah blah maybe on design yea...... but it is doing a better job at stealing ure designs look at the new G coupe that thing is Sic..... and for engine wise toyota should have kept the 2jz like Bmw inline 6 baby..... casue i dont think the Gr motor is all that ..... and come on no 6spd with all that power thats whack..... but yea the auto trannies on lexus and toyota are WAY better then nissan..... thats the only thing i have a compliant on is my tranny.....
Come on homie...The 2jz while a great engine is also an ancient engine as well. Killer mods and a very strong fanbase, but its time to move on to better things. As a completely stock engine the 2jz is not cutting it today. The GR engine is still completely new and obviously we do not know its full capabilities yet, but there have been prototypes of a Twin Supercharger in the IS350 and a Supercharger in a concept Avalon last year and this year. I take it that your the type of guy to heavily mod your engines by looking at your siggy.

Now you do not think the GR engine is all that, but in what way?? I respect your opinion but I'm curious.

Last edited by magneto112; 03-20-06 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-20-06, 10:15 AM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah I agree with Eyecon7 I believe toyota should have kept the inline six for their rear drive cars.
Old 03-20-06, 10:31 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

the camry engine production cost is reduced to 50% of the previous costs by using this 3.5 everywhere. Im pretty sick of hearing these i6 = god's gift to engine configurations boasts in almost every BMW IS forum. 2JZ vs what is out now is a dinosaur of an engine, BMW had to slap a turbo with DI on theirs to make it equal in power to the 350 engine. Things evolve, if you want toyota/lexus to offer the most on their cars while keeping prices down, you have to let them streamline. i6 for RWD only is terrible if you want to streamline production and cut production costs

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 03-20-06 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-20-06, 01:46 PM
eyecon7
Lead Lap

the camry engine production cost is reduced to 50% of the previous costs by using this 3.5 everywhere. Im pretty sick of hearing these i6 = god's gift to engine configurations boasts in almost every BMW IS forum. 2JZ vs what is out now is a dinosaur of an engine, BMW had to slap a turbo with DI on theirs to make it equal in power to the 350 engine. Things evolve, if you want toyota/lexus to offer the most on their cars while keeping prices down, you have to let them streamline. i6 for RWD only is terrible if you want to streamline production and cut production costs

what are u talking about the M3 makes 333hp and the new 330 is at 255...... but its not the same IMO the greatest motors i think IMO Where the rb26dett and the 2jzgte both straight 6.....(yes it was not gas efficient but they should have kept it in the cars that were for younger drivers like IS and GS ) im not saying the GR is bad but when did toyota/lexus turn to get more agressive its still soft driven (xcept for the IS) if they are going to increase HP i think they should offer 6 spd in there v6.....

Quick Reply: 3.5 liter