Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2006 Hyundai Azera full test (Edmunds)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-06, 10:10 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

I think the Azera looks alright, not really much worse than the Avalon. It's a nice car for the money.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 03-19-06 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-19-06, 10:12 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

ehhh....i never liked the way the Azera looks. Very ugly IMO. I'll take a xloser look at it at the NYIAS next month. But I do love the way the Avy looks. Very classy design.
Old 03-19-06, 10:18 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

It's plain & boring, but Avalon is no beauty queen neither
Old 03-19-06, 12:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by GS Kid 300
Hyundai needs a luxury brand... i personally wouldnt buy a 30k hyundai..
At one time nobody would have bought a 30K Toyota either.
Old 03-19-06, 04:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
At one time nobody would have bought a 30K Toyota either.
Right on mmarshall (I was going to post the same thing ).

But now that Hyundai has Kia for more basic vehicles, Hyundai will gravitate up market. It's not going to be like Lexus any time soon, if ever, but for their top vehicle to be $30K LOADED isn't out of line.

Toyota will become the new GM (only with better vehicles, better management, better quality!). Hyundai might become like an early Toyota, and the Chinese brands in a couple of years will be like Hyundai was initially.

The only constant is change.
Old 04-24-06, 10:38 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb USA 2day article

A Premium Car @ a Lower Price

It's getting harder for car buyers to rationalize paying a premium price, even for a premium car.

A good example is the Hyundai Azera. It's a full-size car that has about all the features, poise and punch you'd get in a $35,000-to-$40,000 car for $25,000 to $30,000.

Created by, loosely speaking, enlarging the chassis of the automaker's Sonata midsize sedan, Azera is meant to replace the baroque XG350 in the lineup. And it's an appealing piece of work.

The test car was a nearly loaded Limited version, priced about $28,000. Its amenities included heated seats, power sunshade for the back window, auto-down and auto-up windows, side air bags in the back seat rather than only in front. None of those is breathtaking by itself, but combined they illustrate the high-end attributes available in a midprice machine. And they help make Azera a legitimate alternative to the likes of Buick Lucerne and Toyota Avalon, rather than a wannabe.

First thing you notice, of course, is the styling. Azera is an amalgam of pleasing influences, making up in grace what it might lack in originality.

It's a look that seems vaguely familiar but not common. One possible drawback is that the Hyundai emblems are large and they're designed in. A subtler presentation would be welcome, as would badges that could be removed without a trace (a few minutes with a hair dryer is the usual way to unglue auto emblems and decals).

That way you could have the smug satisfaction of driving an unbranded, or barely branded, car that looks pricier than it is. As is, you can't keep the neighbors guessing.

Small matter, though, easily outweighed by what you get for a moderate price. What stood out during the test:

•Space. There are true adult-size accommodations in back as well as up front. The trunk is fairly large. The door panels and roof pillars don't impinge much on your sideways room. There are a lot of big machines on the highways that can't translate their hefty size into interior room. No such disappointment in the Azera.

•Performance. You can't always predict based on the statistics, especially, it seems, with South Korean vehicles. It takes more than engine power. The transmission programming has to match the engine's personality to make it feel lively. That match-up is as good in Azera as Hyundai's ever done. Shifts are generally smooth and quick with little lag or stumble whether shifting up or down. Azera goes easily about the business of passing or merging or exploiting a hole in a never-ending stream of traffic to make a left turn.

Proper drivetrain manners are something you overlook more often than celebrate, because if all works right, nothing bothers you about the way the engine and gearbox behave.

•Comfort. Partly a function of size, of course, but also a result of well-designed seats and well-placed controls and pedals (power-adjustable pedals are an option).

•General good nature. Azera often got the nod over other testers in the driveway because driving the Hyundai almost guaranteed no hassles and the potential of a bit of fun from the eager V-6 engine.

What you might dislike:

•Noise. The suspension on the test car clunked on sharp bumps. That used to afflict many import brands but has been mainly banished. Sad to see it rear its noisy head again.

Wind noise was more like wind roar when the sunroof was open, despite — because of? — the accessory wind deflector mounted on the roof at the front edge of the sunroof opening.

•Audio absences. Satellite radio isn't available, though it will become standard equipment in the fourth quarter. There's no receptacle to plug in an iPod or other MP3 device so that it plays through the car stereo. Hyundai says those will become standard, beginning with the '07 Elantra. It's unclear how soon Azera gets the feature.

•Gaps. There were some wide ones between trim pieces inside the test car. They were even, and the pieces lined up, but tighter fits would please the eye and give the message of precision.

•Mileage. Midteens around town was disappointing.

On balance, Azera is a strong contender for those seeking a roomy sedan at a trim price.

2006 Hyundai Azera

•What is it? Full-size, four-door, front-wheel-drive sedan, replacing the discontinued XG350. Manufactured in South Korea.

•How soon? On sale since November.

•How much? Starts at $24,995, including destination charge; $29,995 with all factory options. Expect to pay anywhere from slightly less than dealer-invoice cost to as much as $1,200 more than invoice, according to widely scattered price data from online car-shopping sites, which usually agree more closely on real-world prices.

•Who'll buy? Hyundai says 60% are college graduates, 80% are married, 55% are men. Median age is 58; median annual household income is $70,000.

•How many? Hyundai plans 30,000 to 40,000 a year, about twice what the XG350 did.

•What's the drivetrain? 3.8-liter V-6 engine rated 263 horsepower at 6,000 rpm, 255 pounds-feet of torque at 4,500 rpm; five-speed automatic transmission with manual-shift mode; traction control.

•What's the safety gear? Expected bags and belts, plus front and rear side-impact and head-curtain air bags, anti-lock brakes, anti-skid control.

•What's the rest? Standard features on all models include automatic climate control; power steering, brakes, windows, mirrors, locks, seats; AM/FM/CD/MP3-compatible stereo; cruise control; tilt-adjustable and telescoping steering column; remote-control locks; fog lights; outside-mirror and rear-window defrosters; full-size spare tire on matching alloy wheel.

•How big? 192.7 inches long, 72.8 inches wide, 58.7 inches tall on a 109.4-inch wheelbase. Passenger space is listed as 106.9 cubic feet, trunk space as 16.6.

•How thirsty? Rated 19 miles per gallon in town, 28 on the highway, 22 in combined driving. Trip computer in test car showed 16 mpg in mostly suburban driving. Regular (87 octane) gasoline is specified.

•Overall: An appealing large car for a midsize price.

Old 04-24-06, 11:05 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Yea, I got to mess around with this car for awhile at the NY autoshow last week while waiting for a friend, and I really didnt like this car. I must say that the fit and finish is really nice and tight, but the design and layout of the dashboard is incredibly boring and sooo uninviting IMO. I dont think the ergonomics were that great and the seats where not comfortable to me as well. From the rear I get flash backs of a 1989 Saab 9000 Hatchback. No thank you. I personally think the Sonata is the better vehicle in the Hyundai lineup.
Old 04-24-06, 11:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Pretty much agrees with my own recent review of the 2006 Azera except that I found road and tire noise more pronounced than any suspension noises over bumps. In fact, road noise was just about the only area where I thought the Toyota Avalon had this car beat.............otherwise it was about a tie except for the Azera's super-long warranty.
Old 04-24-06, 11:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by magneto112
Yea, I got to mess around with this car for awhile at the NY autoshow last week while waiting for a friend, and I really didnt like this car. I must say that the fit and finish is really nice and tight, but the design and layout of the dashboard is incredibly boring and sooo uninviting IMO. I dont think the ergonomics were that great and the seats where not comfortable to me as well. From the rear I get flash backs of a 1989 Saab 9000 Hatchback. No thank you. I personally think the Sonata is the better vehicle in the Hyundai lineup.
If you can, drive an Azera and compare it to the Sonata...I have reviewed both cars and the Azera's drivetrain felt substantially stronger, in spite of the car's larger size and heavier weight.

Both the Azera and Sonata had road noise...this is one of the few remaining areas Hyundai still needs to really work on.
Old 04-24-06, 02:16 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

If you can, drive an Azera and compare it to the Sonata...I have reviewed both cars and the Azera's drivetrain felt substantially stronger, in spite of the car's larger size and heavier weight.

Both the Azera and Sonata had road noise...this is one of the few remaining areas Hyundai still needs to really work on.
step by step...
Old 04-24-06, 03:01 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Compared to the Camry, the Sonata definitely has more road noise. But I think the Accord actually has more road noise than the Sonata. And until the 07 Camry, the Accord was widely considered to be the overall benchmark in this class.
Old 04-25-06, 07:34 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the Avalon and Azera were equal in price, quailty, luxury, etc.....there is sitll on department where
the Avalon will win hands down: RESALE.

Have you ever seen Hyundais on the used car market? The depreciation is enormous compared
to most other cars. Toyotas on the other hand hold their values better than most cars.

In 5 years, a used Avalon will be worth twice as much as a used Azera.
Old 04-25-06, 08:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bruce van
If the Avalon and Azera were equal in price, quailty, luxury, etc.....there is sitll on department where
the Avalon will win hands down: RESALE.

Have you ever seen Hyundais on the used car market? The depreciation is enormous compared
to most other cars. Toyotas on the other hand hold their values better than most cars.

In 5 years, a used Avalon will be worth twice as much as a used Azera.
Yes, there is some truth in this ( not quite as much as you portray ). Hyundais still lag somewhat in public perception behind what the more recent ones deserve.....and it sometimes DOES affect their resale values. But don't forget....we here at CL represent a rather small portion of the public......we are people who know cars and talk cars and follow the auto market, and we know the latest news and trends. The average John Doe or Susie Q. doesn't.......all they know is that for some 15-20 years all they heard is that Hyundai builds junk ( and they DID at one time ) .
So.....now that Hyundai ( and Kia ) DOESN'T build junk anymore, the word still has not gotten completely out. In fact, that is part of our job as car people....to help educate.

Hyundai and Kia could also help resale values somewhat by making that long 10 year / 100,000 mile powertain warranty transferable to a second or third owner, which they don't....only immediate family members can inherit it from the first owner. My strong guess........( I don't know this for a fact )........is that this done to keep the car's service, accident, and operational history easier to document.
Old 04-25-06, 08:34 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When a reviewer's biggest gripe is, " the badges are too large and we can't seem to blow-dry them off ..." - then, as an auto company, you know where to redirect funds ... marketing.

M.