Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2006 Hyundai Azera full test (Edmunds)

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-06, 12:53 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Hyundai Azera full test (Edmunds)

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=109613

Yes, it's another Edmunds review, and as usual, im almost a tradition-like fashion, this Edmunds review is ripe with contradictions and inconsistencies.

Here is some food for thought, the last paragraph:

"Given the choice between a 2006 Hyundai Azera Limited and a Toyota Avalon XLS, we'd take the Azera. And not just because we're the cheapskates who grabbed the discounted floor-model TV from Best Buy."

Now let me summarize what the review said. They basically really liked the Azera, and found it competing very well with the Avalon in many ways. It's a tiny bit slower to 60mph than the Avalon, but slightly faster in the slalom. The ride is just as quiet as the Avalon, but the ride comfort is not as consistently comfortable as the Avalon.

They mention that the Azera lacks a few of the Avalon's high end features and options, a nav system being a notable example. They also say the seating position is a bit weird on the Azera, but otherwise found it to be a great car. They also mentioned how much of a great value it is.

What I don't understand is that final paragraph, which contradicts most of what their review states. They say they would take the Azera over the Avalon, and it's not because of value. But if it's not for value, what other reason would they have?

Both cars have roughly the same performance, except the Avalon gets notably better fuel economy. The Azera lacks things like a nav system, or bluetooth. Both cars are comfortable, but the Avalon has a better rear seat area, with reclining rear seats and a flat rear floor, both of which the Azera lacks. They also mention all sorts of different coloured interior lighting, which does not match, and looks somewhat weird in the Azera.

So with value out of the picture, there is no meaningful reason to get an Azera over the Avalon, unless you really love the Azera's styling.
Old 03-17-06, 12:56 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I will also add in my personal opinion, for whatever it's worth.

I've sat in and examined both the Azera and Avalon, although I haven't driven either. The Azera has a pretty good interior, but I wouldn't say it's better than the Avalon. I really liked the rear seat area of the Avalon, more so than the Azera. Also, I was turned off by the mixed exterior styling of the Azera. It looks like a Honda knockoff from the front, and a Buick from the rear, straight on and 3/4 view.
Old 03-17-06, 03:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
[url]
Now let me summarize what the review said. The ride is just as quiet as the Avalon, but the ride comfort is not as consistently comfortable as the Avalon.

Interesting....I've reviewed both cars myself and I came to just the opposite conclusion.....the Avalon's road and noise isolation was noticeably better than the Azera's, although except for the Avalon's NAV package there really isn't much difference between the two cars. I personally liked the Azera's interior more...especially the more realistic-looking wood paneling to that orange stuff in the Avalon and I liked the design of the Avalon's sound system more. The Azera, dollar-for-dollar, is IMO a better all-around value than the Avalon, with its lower price, comparable drivetrain, and much longer warranty.
Old 03-17-06, 03:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I will also add in my personal opinion, for whatever it's worth.

I've sat in and examined both the Azera and Avalon, although I haven't driven either. The Azera has a pretty good interior, but I wouldn't say it's better than the Avalon. I really liked the rear seat area of the Avalon, more so than the Azera. Also, I was turned off by the mixed exterior styling of the Azera. It looks like a Honda knockoff from the front, and a Buick from the rear, straight on and 3/4 view.
Hey, chief....your opinion is as valuable here as anyone else's..... but you can't really compare either of these two cars to a Buick, except maybe the styling you mention.....even with the new Lucerne that supposedly competes aganist them ( I've also reviewed the Lucerne). Both the Azera and the Avalon, quality-wise inside and out, will blow the Lucerne away, despite the attempts of Bob Lutz at GM ( a man who I normally think quite highly of ) to sell the public on this car.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-17-06 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-17-06, 04:16 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Azera is a great value. I just don't think I'd drive a Hyundai though at this time...
Old 03-17-06, 04:47 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

I honestly really dont like the Azera, i really do find the car all around not appealing. and the grill with the crooked "H" gotta go i think, it gives it a cheap feel i think. I dont really like the interior , mainly the dash all that well ither. sure it may have good materials, but the way its layed out doesnt look all that well to me, but i do like the steering wheel in the Azera though. I read some of the Azera's adds and majority metions that it has more passenger space than the BMW 7 series, that may as well be true but i seriously doubt that people looking for a 7-series will have the Azera in the head at the time

Hyundai is also comeing out with a re-designed Sante-Fe or w/e its called and is postioning it competitors as the BMW X5 and Lexus RX 330/350 (which ever one) still i dont think people will cross shop a Lexus,BMW,Infiniti,Mercedes & a Hyundai. But who knows someone may feel do do so and pick the Hyundai over the pre- metioned brands
Old 03-17-06, 08:01 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

They mention that the Azera lacks a few of the Avalon's high end features and options, a nav system being a notable example. They also say the seating position is a bit weird on the Azera, but otherwise found it to be a great car. They also mentioned how much of a great value it is.

What I don't understand is that final paragraph, which contradicts most of what their review states. They say they would take the Azera over the Avalon, and it's not because of value. But if it's not for value, what other reason would they have?
Well you skipped over the things the Azera has that I don't think the Avalon has. Fold down rear seats for trunk passthrough. MUCH better warranty. Power rear sunshade? LED tail lights? I also like the fact that the interior isn't just a sea of flat silver plastic panels like the Avalon.

I've no doubt though that the 10% price difference in similar configurations impacts their findings too but I think they're saying it's not the only factor.
Old 03-17-06, 09:53 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

It seems to me that the reviewers simply preferred the Azera's driving dynamics over the Avalon's, and since they felt that the two cars were pretty much similar otherwise, that's why they'd choose the Azera.
Old 03-18-06, 05:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
The Azera is a great value. I just don't think I'd drive a Hyundai though at this time...
That's exactly the attitude a lot of people have until they actually go see the vehicles and test-drive them....then many of them are sold. There is a reason why Hyundai's sales ( and quality ) have exploded in the last several years.

There is a good chance I would be driving one myself except that that Hyundai doesn't ( yet ) make the type of vehicle I'm looking for.....AWD sedans. They ( mistakenly, IMO ) limit AWD to the tall, narrow, SUV-like Santa Fe and Tuscon.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-18-06 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-18-06, 05:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Well you skipped over the things the Azera has that I don't think the Avalon has. Fold down rear seats for trunk passthrough. MUCH better warranty. Power rear sunshade? LED tail lights? I also like the fact that the interior isn't just a sea of flat silver plastic panels like the Avalon.

I've no doubt though that the 10% price difference in similar configurations impacts their findings too but I think they're saying it's not the only factor.
Right on, bit. Except for the Avalon's better noise insulation and quieter ride, ( and perhaps a more proven reliability record ) I'd take the Azera hands-down. Like you, I don't care for the Avalon's interior either.

But to be honest, unless a low price is paramount, I think the Lexus ES330 worth the extra money over both the Azera and Avalon...it is THAT good of a car.
Old 03-18-06, 04:43 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Interesting....I've reviewed both cars myself and I came to just the opposite conclusion.....the Avalon's road and noise isolation was noticeably better than the Azera's, although except for the Avalon's NAV package there really isn't much difference between the two cars. I personally liked the Azera's interior more...especially the more realistic-looking wood paneling to that orange stuff in the Avalon and I liked the design of the Avalon's sound system more. The Azera, dollar-for-dollar, is IMO a better all-around value than the Avalon, with its lower price, comparable drivetrain, and much longer warranty.
Avalon has a lot more features available - xenons and nav are two most glaring examples of what you HAVE to have in your top end vehicle, but Avalon goes on with smart key, ventilated front seats, dynamic laser cruise control, etc,

I would personally take top Camry for 30k, with way more features than Azera or Avalon at that prices. Sure space is smaller, but question is how much smaller it is. New camry should be quite spacious at back.
Old 03-18-06, 04:44 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

and it is always kind of pointless to compare two cars from memory. Driving them back to back is what usually works, and I think few mags had comparo already, right?
Old 03-18-06, 04:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
and it is always kind of pointless to compare two cars from memory. Driving them back to back is what usually works, and I think few mags had comparo already, right?
Maybe for some people, but I can remember in quite vivid and minute detail cars that I reviewed and drove from my earliest days behind the wheel in high school.....and even before that when I didn't drive but rode in cars instead. That's why I make so many posts on CAR CHAT comparing today's cars to yesterday's.....and to each other. However, you are correct that the best comparisons are usually made back-to-back. Not all of us are able to do that, however, unless we work for an auto mag or have the chance to do multiple test-drives at demonstration events.....and even then these events don't always feature all the compeition.
Old 03-18-06, 05:51 PM
GS Kid 300
Pole Position

Hyundai needs a luxury brand... i personally wouldnt buy a 30k hyundai..
Old 03-19-06, 10:05 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I still would get the Avalon over the Azera. The Azera's styling is a little too awkward for me.

Quick Reply: 2006 Hyundai Azera full test (Edmunds)