Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Self healing paint

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-06, 01:26 PM
wawawa
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Self healing paint

I don't know if this is posted before, but the smart people in Nissan come up with paint that heal by itself after it is scratched !!!

All you need to do is pour some warm water on the scratched area and it will heal within a few minutes !!!

Check it out
http://www.we-make-money-not-art.com...ves/007584.php

Don't need to worry about rock chips anymore and no more clear bra !!!
Old 03-17-06, 01:57 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's been posted before, and I think it's a good idea. I don't know how good that is for the environment though. Seems too chemically...
Old 03-17-06, 01:58 PM
jcreech
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like my clear bra
Old 03-17-06, 02:15 PM
wawawa
Rookie

I just thought this is a smart invention

Now if someone can invent doors that heal itself from door ding...
Old 03-17-06, 06:59 PM
casey225
Pole Position

Those chemical engineers sure are smart!
Old 03-21-06, 01:08 AM
pwndzzled
Rookie

Originally Posted by wawawa
I just thought this is a smart invention

Now if someone can invent doors that heal itself from door ding...
Saturn has it.
Old 03-21-06, 04:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

This new Nissan paint invention ( if it works and doesn't screw up the finish in other ways ) sounds nice, but what is really needed is two things:

First, MUCH tougher clearcoat paint finishes that are more resistant to scratching in the first place.....or for car companies to start putting on the tough plasticized layer on top of the paint that is now available aftermarket.

Second, for paving companies and utility firms to CLEAN UP after themselves after they are done and not leave all those stones and cinders all over the road where they are just waiting to scratch. Same for the highway departments.......they need to clean up the sand and abrasives after a winter storm. Most of the time they don't.
Old 03-21-06, 04:51 AM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
This new Nissan paint invention ( if it works and doesn't screw up the finish in other ways ) sounds nice, but what is really needed is two things:

First, MUCH tougher clearcoat paint finishes that are more resistant to scratching in the first place.....or for car companies to start putting on the tough plasticized layer on top of the paint that is now available aftermarket.

Second, for paving companies and utility firms to CLEAN UP after themselves after they are done and not leave all those stones and cinders all over the road where they are just waiting to scratch. Same for the highway departments.......they need to clean up the sand and abrasives after a winter storm. Most of the time they don't.
I’m with ya and lets not forget about all those construction and landscape jerks that haul their flatbed trailers loaded with mud and rock from a backhoe or whatever equipment they are carrying. With every bump they hit on the road, rocks and dirt start to fly off. And the best one of all is the freaking dump truck loaded with crap that has a warning sign to “Stay Back 100 Feet”
Old 03-21-06, 05:33 AM
ptmIS350
Rookie

Yeah we get that allot in Dirty Jersey...these guys really don't care about rocks or anything...broke 4 windshields in the past 6 years out here by careless construction workers and rocks spilling out the back of their trucks. I always make special care to drive away but somehow I still get pounded with rocks..you should of seen the front end on my m45 after 1 year...sandblasted! I hope my IS holds up better.
Old 03-21-06, 06:45 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Mercedes is already doing the "ultra-clearcoat" thing with their ceramiclear paint. I've worked on it enough times that I think I can say it is much, much harder than any more convential acrylic enamel clears (even Audi's, which is typically regarded as "the hardest"). The downside is once you have flaws in the paint they become incredibly difficult to remove and it's an expensive option. I have a couple customers with ceramiclear and I charge them regular rates because they're long time customers, but if I get new owners of ceramiclear cars I'm going to start charging more.

Cheers.
Old 03-21-06, 08:50 AM
nehal51086
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

we could start a petition.....

http://www.petitionspot.com

i had one about dump tucks but it didnt go so good....