Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Automobile's "20 greatest cars that changed the game forever".

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-06, 10:26 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

My Mexican and Latin American pals will agree VW GTI belongs there. Come down here and you will see so many of them on the street. If you have a Vocho (VW Beetle) and got rid of it, most moved to a GTI.
Old 03-18-06, 10:47 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think 300c should be on the list because it saved a company. Chrysler execs are talking like the company was headed out until the 300c saved it. I even read where benz was talking of dumping the chrysler half. Now chrysler has a car that is selling like hotcakes. I've heard many around here criticize it for being a bentley look-a-like. Why is that a bad thing. You wouldn't date a girl who looks like Christy Brinkley or Halle Berry? I would.....if I were single. Knock offs aren't a bad thing.
Old 03-18-06, 11:16 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by reggiek
I think 300c should be on the list because it saved a company. Chrysler execs are talking like the company was headed out until the 300c saved it. I even read where benz was talking of dumping the chrysler half. Now chrysler has a car that is selling like hotcakes. I've heard many around here criticize it for being a bentley look-a-like. Why is that a bad thing. You wouldn't date a girl who looks like Christy Brinkley or Halle Berry? I would.....if I were single. Knock offs aren't a bad thing.

Well, it may have saved the company but it's still has no impact on car industry - it's nothing more than a ridiculous looking cheap and flimzy rental car.
Old 03-18-06, 11:19 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Well, it may have saved the company but it's still has no impact on car industry - it's nothing more than a ridiculous looking cheap and flimzy rental car.
Maybe because it saved the company, it changed the car industry because Chrysler going bust would definitely have altered the landscape.
Old 03-18-06, 11:32 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I guess that's your opinion.
I rented one and I didn't find cheap or flimsy....at least not any more cheaper than most other cars out there. The interior space is humongous. It drove fine. Had adequate power (I didn't have the c model). The look is very cool. I like it. AND, I would buy one.
Old 03-18-06, 11:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Incendiary
Oh, okay. So it's not that it revolutionized the mid-size car class, but rather all lux cars?
M-B, not only on the 300E but on all of its cars in that time period, helped perfect the modern air bag assembly, anti-lock brakes, and later in the mid-90's along with BMW and Cadillac, stability control systems. The entire auto industry uses them today. Too bad their electronics and quality control went to hell after the mid-90's.
Old 03-18-06, 11:57 AM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

Wheres the Supra???

This list has very questionable entries.
Old 03-18-06, 12:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by reggiek
The rear-drive V8-powered 300C didn't just pop out of the blue and start attracting customers out of nowhere. The previous FWD V6 300M built on the old Chrysler LH-platform was also quite popular. In fact, one of the reasons Chrysler did the RWD 300 was because so many people DID buy the previous 300M and said that they wanted something a little more like the ones back in the 1950's and 60's.
I liked both of them from an appearance standpoint...especially the dash and gauges.......but being Chrysler-designed products, they both have that unmistakable Chrysler cheapness in body, paint, trim, and hardware that has plagued the company for decades....they just can't ( or won't ) get rid of it.
Old 03-18-06, 03:11 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Where is the Acura Legend on the list? The original Legend was what woke up the European rivals. The 2nd gen Legend was one of the cars that changed styling too. One of the timeless design that still looks good today!.
Old 03-18-06, 04:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
Where is the Acura Legend on the list? The original Legend was what woke up the European rivals. .
No. The Acura Legend, despite being an excellent car, did not really give either Mercedes or BMW much serious competition. Real competition for the Germans had to wait for Lexus, and to a lesser extent Infiniti, in 1990.
Old 03-18-06, 05:47 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Though Acura did not have much of a direct competion with the germans, they did infact wake them up. They made the germans acknowledge acura's potential. The legend represented reliability, luxury, and performance, even before the LS400 came along. This was back in the mid 80s.
Old 03-18-06, 07:30 PM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheRupp
Enzo should be on there, not the F430. And what about the Ford Skyliner? That was the first hardtop convertible, or Audi with its aluminum space frame, not a single Volvo listed with all their advanced safety features (for their times)? Seriously, come on.

And I agree, 300C?
Actually peugot made the first retractable hardtop in the 1930's there were a couple of different cars made with retratable hardtops before ford made theirs.
Old 03-18-06, 07:59 PM
papachino
Pole Position

that is an oddball list: Mini Cooper S, Jeep Cherokee, Chrysler minivans? One would've expected better. About the 300c, you would think for a car that takes a shot at high-end luxury cars would atleast have an interior to match the looks of the exterior? I can't stand how domestic models only use plastic to mold the components of their exterior. I must be used to the Lexus feeling.
Old 03-18-06, 08:14 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SUVs?

No way you can have a list like that without the Ford Explorer, especially starting around 1995 when it was built for the general market that mostly stayed on road. That vehicle started the SUV market, which is still going strong and is now somewhat morphing into the Crossover SUV.

SUVs are a high percentage of all vehicles sold in the US - a major change by anybody's estimation.
Old 03-18-06, 09:10 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSteg
Where is the Acura Legend on the list? The original Legend was what woke up the European rivals. The 2nd gen Legend was one of the cars that changed styling too. One of the timeless design that still looks good today!.

Exactly. The Legend was the car that started all of this (Lexus and Infiniti). It was a car that changed the landscape of our automotive industry here in the US.

Quick Reply: Automobile's "20 greatest cars that changed the game forever".