Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Automobile's "20 greatest cars that changed the game forever".

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-06, 09:15 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The 300C is a monster.

Originally Posted by reggiek
I think 300c should be on the list because it saved a company. Chrysler execs are talking like the company was headed out until the 300c saved it. I even read where benz was talking of dumping the chrysler half. Now chrysler has a car that is selling like hotcakes. I've heard many around here criticize it for being a bentley look-a-like. Why is that a bad thing. You wouldn't date a girl who looks like Christy Brinkley or Halle Berry? I would.....if I were single. Knock offs aren't a bad thing.
So well put. The 300C/ Bentley look alike is a sales monster and a great looking car. Would I buy one? No. Too common and not "finished" enough for me. I don't particulary like seeing my car at every stoplight. In NYC on a friday night, the 300C is about as rare as a Honda Accord. Good for Damler Chrysler, not great for me as a prospective buyer. Interesting list anyhow. Definitely great for debate.
Old 03-19-06, 03:10 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LexLaw
So well put. The 300C/ Bentley look alike is a sales monster and a great looking car. Would I buy one? No. Too common and not "finished" enough for me. I don't particulary like seeing my car at every stoplight. In NYC on a friday night, the 300C is about as rare as a Honda Accord. Good for Damler Chrysler, not great for me as a prospective buyer. Interesting list anyhow. Definitely great for debate.
It's kinda like the Motorola V3 RAZR. I bought one back in November 2004 because it was very new, and more importantly, RARE. It costs $550 back then. Now they're free with activation, and everyone and his neighbor has one. 10 million V3s sold world wide by 2006 already. I'm happy that I sold it LONG before the price dropped.

Anyways back to the topic. Being a Bentley-look alike doesn't cut it. It's similar to buying a knock-off Louis Vuitton.
Old 03-19-06, 06:53 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GlobeCLK
Being a Bentley-look alike doesn't cut it. It's similar to buying a knock-off Louis Vuitton.
Isn't Chrysler now trying to copy Rolls Royce by making the Imperial?

Hell, they may just redesign the Crossfire to look like a Porsche...
Old 03-19-06, 07:21 AM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Isn't Chrysler now trying to copy Rolls Royce by making the Imperial?

Hell, they may just redesign the Crossfire to look like a Porsche...
If Chrysler is as smart and savy as I think they are they will. It well sell like crazy. I'm not in love with blatant copying by manufacturers but the 300C is what arguably put Chrysler back on the map. Like it or not, they are the first in American car to take a bold albeit "borrowed" design and actually develop a good looking car. Now other U.S. automakers havebegun to roll out edgy/contoversial/interesting designs. Something imports have been doing for years. American cars have been boring for years as most of us will agree. Now that's actually changed. Now if only quality control will evolve also.
Old 03-19-06, 09:34 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GlobeCLK
It's kinda like the Motorola V3 RAZR. I bought one back in November 2004 because it was very new, and more importantly, RARE. It costs $550 back then. Now they're free with activation, and everyone and his neighbor has one. 10 million V3s sold world wide by 2006 already. I'm happy that I sold it LONG before the price dropped.

Anyways back to the topic. Being a Bentley-look alike doesn't cut it. It's similar to buying a knock-off Louis Vuitton.
Ugh, I did that too. I had it when it was still "cool" and "newest hottest thing". I pitched it for the same reason and now I have a Nokia 8801, which I haven't seen anyone using yet

I'm sorta waiting for Chrysler to design something that looks like the Continental GT
Old 03-19-06, 08:14 PM
GStateOM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the novalty of the Chrysler 300 has worn off. There's like 100 collecting dust at some local dealerships around here. And no, I am not exagerating.

Off the top of my head, I think these cars made the biggest impact in the past 20 years

Ford Explorer (1991) -- Credit to the Jeep Charokee, but I think the Explorer opened the door up, like Silverlady said

Dodge Caravan (1984-5)

Ford Taurus (1986)

Lexus LS400 (1990)

Toyota Prius (early 2000's)

Honda Accord (1989-90)

Ford Expedition (1997)

I think all of them started trends. And unlike the Automobile list, these are cars that much of the general population (at least here in the US) actually cared about. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-19-06, 09:22 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

[QUOTE=mmarshall]IThe NSX has had virtually no impact at all except for a couple of non-sports cars like the Jaguar XJ and Audi A8 that have copied its all-aluminum construction...the Japanese sports cars that followed it did not share its all-aluminum construction or its mid-engine layout ( except the mid-engine MR2 Turbo ).

It was more than aluminum construction. It was the first application of titanium connecting rods in a production car. Also, while it was not the first to have VTEC, it was the best example of how great that technology was and still is. Almost all manufacturers have embraced and emulated that technology. It also was Japan's first and only exotic supercar and it caught Ferrari and Porsche completely flat footed.Ferrari also copied the aluminum construction. It made a huge statement that a supercar could have everyday reliability as well as world class performance. Also, that all that could come at a lower price. The Legend did the same thing to luxury cars. Jaguar has never recovered from the blows sustained from Acura initially and then Lexus and Infiniti. They would be history were it not for Ford. The NSX absolutely deserves to be on that list. It changed the exotic sports car market forever. Only in the last few years have other sports cars caught up to and surpassed it. That deserves a spot on the list for sure.
Old 03-20-06, 05:02 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GStateOM
I think the novalty of the Chrysler 300 has worn off. There's like 100 collecting dust at some local dealerships around here. And no, I am not exagerating.

Off the top of my head, I think these cars made the biggest impact in the past 20 years

Ford Explorer (1991) -- Credit to the Jeep Charokee, but I think the Explorer opened the door up, like Silverlady said

Dodge Caravan (1984-5)

Ford Taurus (1986)

Lexus LS400 (1990)

Toyota Prius (early 2000's)

Honda Accord (1989-90)

Ford Expedition (1997)

I think all of them started trends. And unlike the Automobile list, these are cars that much of the general population (at least here in the US) actually cared about. Just my 2 cents.
WHy the Taurus and the Expedition? Taurus is just an american version of the camry and accord. Expedition is just a bigger explorer.
Old 03-20-06, 05:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

[QUOTE=Doc C]
Originally Posted by mmarshall
IThe NSX has had virtually no impact at all except for a couple of non-sports cars like the Jaguar XJ and Audi A8 that have copied its all-aluminum construction...the Japanese sports cars that followed it did not share its all-aluminum construction or its mid-engine layout ( except the mid-engine MR2 Turbo ).

It was more than aluminum construction. It was the first application of titanium connecting rods in a production car. Also, while it was not the first to have VTEC, it was the best example of how great that technology was and still is. Almost all manufacturers have embraced and emulated that technology. It also was Japan's first and only exotic supercar and it caught Ferrari and Porsche completely flat footed.Ferrari also copied the aluminum construction. It made a huge statement that a supercar could have everyday reliability as well as world class performance. Also, that all that could come at a lower price. The Legend did the same thing to luxury cars. Jaguar has never recovered from the blows sustained from Acura initially and then Lexus and Infiniti. They would be history were it not for Ford. The NSX absolutely deserves to be on that list. It changed the exotic sports car market forever. Only in the last few years have other sports cars caught up to and surpassed it. That deserves a spot on the list for sure.
OK...you made a few points. I'll respect your views on that. I don't think, however, that you can say that Acura, Lexus, and Infiniti are the cause of Jag's problems. Jaguar has a core group of customers that like British-style Jag luxury...the hand-done wood trim, Connolly leather, etc.....and are generally not interested in Japanese luxury cars. Jag's problems today ( after a period of success in the mid-90's of building fairly reliable cars) are essentially the same as they were before Ford bought them out....poor reliability.
Old 03-20-06, 05:41 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd replace the 300C on the list with the Audi TT for kicking off (or at least bringing to mainstream) the combination of flared fender, rounded body panel fad we see on quite a few cars today.
Old 03-20-06, 07:09 AM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by reggiek
WHy the Taurus and the Expedition? Taurus is just an american version of the camry and accord. Expedition is just a bigger explorer.
LMAO Never quite undertood the Expedition either. I mean I know the beloved Navigator is built on the same platform. But damn the Expo was so weak design wise. They only look gooked decent in darker colors with tiints and modified grilles. I'd always laugh when I'd see them with 24's. I rememeber back when I had my Range I had some simple BBS 20's and this clown in a blue Expo with Navigator badges pulled up beside me in front of NV (club in NYC). He made it is business to drop his window and look me and my range over as if he were NY's Finest. You know the laughter ensued.
Old 03-20-06, 07:31 AM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shinobi-X
I'd replace the 300C on the list with the Audi TT for kicking off (or at least bringing to mainstream) the combination of flared fender, rounded body panel fad we see on quite a few cars today.
And dont forget the audi tt started the trend of aluminum interior trim.
Old 03-20-06, 09:33 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexLaw
If Chrysler is as smart and savy as I think they are they will. It well sell like crazy. I'm not in love with blatant copying by manufacturers but the 300C is what arguably put Chrysler back on the map. Like it or not, they are the first in American car to take a bold albeit "borrowed" design and actually develop a good looking car. Now other U.S. automakers havebegun to roll out edgy/contoversial/interesting designs. Something imports have been doing for years. American cars have been boring for years as most of us will agree. Now that's actually changed. Now if only quality control will evolve also.
What do rappers call it? Sampling?
Old 03-20-06, 11:59 AM
Doc C
Lead Lap

[QUOTE=mmarshall]
Originally Posted by Doc C

OK...you made a few points. I'll respect your views on that. I don't think, however, that you can say that Acura, Lexus, and Infiniti are the cause of Jag's problems. Jaguar has a core group of customers that like British-style Jag luxury...the hand-done wood trim, Connolly leather, etc.....and are generally not interested in Japanese luxury cars. Jag's problems today ( after a period of success in the mid-90's of building fairly reliable cars) are essentially the same as they were before Ford bought them out....poor reliability.
Good points on Jaguar. I agree with the core group of customers, but I only meant that with the Japanese luxo invasion, there were more choices in the segment that would take the fringe Jag customers and possibly steal them. Jags are getting better, but they better get a lot better to stop the bleeding!!! I personally like the new XK. Take care!!!
Old 03-20-06, 01:34 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc C

The Legend did the same thing to luxury cars.

Acura was the first japanese luxury brand to set ashore in the states. That's a pretty big statement if you ask me. Not to mention, these things were outselling the benz and bimmer by pretty large margin, more reason for MB and BMW to get back on their heels!

Quick Reply: Automobile's "20 greatest cars that changed the game forever".