Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hot Audi - It's finally blasting into the luxury-car pack. Can it stay there?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-06, 07:21 PM
LexFather

Outside of that, I love Audi cars.
A3-really nice hatchback, now with the 250hp V-6 with DSG
DSG-ALL CAR MANUAMTICS SHOULD BE LIKE THIS DOUBLE CLUTCH!
A4-nice inside and out, S4 and RS4 are wonderful but so is the basica A4
A6-my least fav Audi, interior too busy, outside to big but S6 and RS 6 changes things
A8-my favorite Audi, perfect to me
TT-such a trendsetter

Then their racing in LeMans is just ridiulous. They cannot be beat. And now racing with diesals, much kudos.

THOUGH I PREFER THE OLD NOSES TO THESE NEW SUV, GAPING FISH MOUTH ONES!

Old 03-22-06, 07:27 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
1. They said it looked like a whale. They said it was just disgusting to look at and the ugliest Audi of all time.
2. The interior was nice but had some cheap tidbits
3. Audi says its a sporting SUV like a Cayenne but it isn't even close to driving like one.
4. Its expensive.

Most reviews I have read are not as bad but no one fell in love with it and the basic summary is "oh, another SUV, this one from Audi".
Well looks are in the eye of the beholder of course.
The interior was really nice but I agree, there were a couple of non-Lexus type items in there.
It is a sporting SUV - but it is not a Porsche
I have yet to see final pricing, but it seemed to be anything but expensive. The V8 starting at $50K and the 6 at $40K seems like a deal in that market place.

I think that because it is based on a car platform, and one of only a handful of 3-row Luxury SUVs that it will do very well. We shall see.
Old 03-22-06, 08:26 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by doug_999
Well looks are in the eye of the beholder of course.
The interior was really nice but I agree, there were a couple of non-Lexus type items in there.
It is a sporting SUV - but it is not a Porsche
I have yet to see final pricing, but it seemed to be anything but expensive. The V8 starting at $50K and the 6 at $40K seems like a deal in that market place.

I think that because it is based on a car platform, and one of only a handful of 3-row Luxury SUVs that it will do very well. We shall see.
I just thought, u did just get a new SUV? Not interested enough to wait and see how this was?

Old 03-22-06, 09:49 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I just thought, u did just get a new SUV? Not interested enough to wait and see how this was?
Could not wait. The RX would not hold a 3rd car seat and the other families were getting ticked that we were not reciprocating when it came time to pick up the kids at school. Plus the V6 won't be out until the Fall (along with the new MDX as well) and $50K+ was not in the budget (we have a BMW to pay for you know .
Old 03-23-06, 12:37 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
Well you didn't make a point - you just said it was funny.

Now that you have pointed out your reasoning, I can say "I don't get it"

I don't get it because sales has nothing to do with being a luxury car maker. Are you saying that Bentley is not a luxury car maker because they have low sales? The new A8 is one sweet ride and tends to do very well in comparisons - its low sales do not mean it is not a top notch luxury car.

Also as the article points out, Audi is doing well money wise and seems to be selling quite a few cars. In addition, per the article when it competes with BMW and Mercedes in the 8 and 12 cyl car arena, it does pretty well. These are $80-$110K cars mind you.

So now, once again, why is the article funny?
sales have everything to do with how sucessful is the car maker. Audi with its predominant FWD platforms is hardly an Bentley. Most Audi's that get sold in Europe in large numbers are FWD and have less than 150hp. Very few Audi's sold are V6, let alone V8's.

Audi sells V12? What, 5 of them per year? :-).

yes, article is quite funny, since it tells an story of upbeat and blasting audi, which has 55% of revenues of big boys and is absolute disaster in the USA.
Old 03-23-06, 06:53 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Actually, W12.

I'll consider Audi once their front-biased quattro system goes and once their balance shifts closer to 50/50 from 65/35.