Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Volkswagen removes billboards from 3 cities after complaints

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-06, 01:41 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
This is not the first time that VW has received complaints about words used in marketing. There were complaints from African-American organizations about the "Touraeg" name for its SUV......Touraeg is the name of a North African desert group of people ( surprising, since the Touraegs are actually more Caucasian / Arab / Bedouin than Sub-Saharan African ). But, unlike the billboard ads, VW decided to stick with the Touraeg name.

Wait... Black people complained about the Touraeg's name because there's a group in Africa called Touraeg? Why am I not surprised?
Old 03-24-06, 02:24 PM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MongooseGA
Wait... Black people complained about the Touraeg's name because there's a group in Africa called Touraeg? Why am I not surprised?
<_<

>_>

>_<
Old 03-24-06, 03:05 PM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
By ADRIAN SAINZ
Associated Press Writer

The billboards will be replaced with two ads, with one saying "Here today, gone tamale" and the other "Kick a little gracias."

source : heraldtribune.com
OK, I'll bite - this is an April Fool's joke right?
Old 03-24-06, 06:21 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Why am I not surprised you made this comment.
Old 03-24-06, 06:25 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Originally Posted by LexLaw
Why am I not surprised you made this comment.
There are a few demographics that always seem to try to seperate themselves from the majority or put themselves above others due to their minority. I might have been more surprised or found it funny if it didn't happen so often.

BTW, where in VA Beach are you?
Old 03-24-06, 08:34 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Exclamation It's nice to be sensitive towards others we could all learn something

There are a few demographics that always seem to try to seperate themselves from the majority or put themselves above others due to their minority. I might have been more surprised or found it funny if it didn't happen so often.

BTW, where in VA Beach are you?
Who are these few "demographics" you speak of?? I, as both an Afr. Am/ Latino 28 yr old Male and more importantly a HUMAN BEING do not separate myself from the "majority" that you speak of. That has been done for me. If you are inferring that some or most people of "color" play victim or ostracize themselves you're kidding yourself. Ofcourse there is the the exception as there is with any ethnic group/demographic. But all in all you must remember 50 years ago is not that long ago. And if your wondering what I'm referring to there was this thing called Segregation. Yeah we all would like to sweep it it under the rug and act as if it never existed along with legalized slavery. There is a residual effect from years of the aforementioned examples. And yes, people of color are still treated as second class citizens in many cases in various sectors of our society.

At the age of 11 was stoppped and threatend by undercover cops on my block by just a few buildings from my condo for walking down the street after going to the store for my parents. It felt as if I was walking in the "South" and needed a pass to walk during dusk. (and oh yeah that was a part of our history) I just happened to have a little too much melanin in my predominately white neighborhood. It was a horrible experience that I will never forget. And trust me it wasn't the last time it happened either. Whether you choose to think that you can relate to my experience as a "Minority" in the U.S. or that we we wake up equal experiences or truly leveled playing field is up to you. You're fortunate to not have to experience some of what I experienced in just 28 yrs that and I would not wish that on anyone. I don't expect you to empathize or sympathize with me or any of the other people in my "demographic".

I'm grateful that my parents did prepare me in the best manner that they could as to what I can expect and how to conduct myself as a Black man in America. They taught me to value myself, my history and other people and their cultures. I am thankful for that because I would have gone through life viewing people who dont look like me as not having the same values, expectations or rights as me. If only the rest of the world took that same approach and actually tried to understand people outside of their culture and understod their experiences and not just see people as what their misinformed parents instill in them. Judging people as a whole and not as individuals based on what we see on T.V. or our brief encounters with a few of them in public is what leads to bigotry and ignorance. Thanx Mongoose And I will continue to look to you for your pearls of wisdom that you post here on CL.

One Love

P.S. My VA residence is in Suffolk and yes I've spent siginificant time in the South (Fl, GA and VA) Some were great experinces and unfortunately many were not. Being called a Ninja on many occasions at various ages doesn't make me view all caucasians as being racists as I would be as guilty the them.
Old 03-25-06, 09:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Point taken, but note that the Touraeg people are not " black " per se as Sub Saharan Africans but dark-skinned Caucasians more closely tied to the people of the Middle East. That was the point I was making. If a group is going to complain about something at least it should be a valid complaint......that one, IMO, is not.
Now......IMO they would have a more valid complaint if, instead of " Touraeg ", VW had named this vehicle " Watusi ", " Pigmy ", " Bolobo ", " Congo " or something along those lines.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-25-06 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-25-06, 11:39 AM
jimxo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Attached Thumbnails Volkswagen removes billboards from 3 cities after complaints-2006curioso_volkswagen_miami.jpg  
Old 03-25-06, 12:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Notice that that sign is directly above a Hispanic-named cafe. ( Adelita's )...............I don't think that is a coincidence.
Old 03-25-06, 12:17 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Funny, since VW has a big presence in Mexico, they should hired their Mexican ad agency...
Old 03-25-06, 12:55 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by nthach
Funny, since VW has a big presence in Mexico, they should hired their Mexican ad agency...
This is a good point. I like a lot of the VW ads and commericals (much better than the ones in the states) and VW is king here. There is huge plant out in Puebla and many Mexicans don't consider VW German, but rather Mexican.

However, noticing that sign above the cafe, I am 99% sure by seeing SW 1 St. (and having grown up in Miami) that this a Cuban neighborhood (there are also Puerto Rican, Colombian, Salvadoran, Nicaraguan and recently Venezeulan influences (in fact they may overtake Cubans soon) in Miami among the biggest Latin segments).

As I mentioned earlier, Spanish terms and phrases are different among countries. I could go to one country and say llantas (tires in english and) and they might not know in certain countires, but if I say neumaticos, they know exactly what I am talking about. Llantas is the common terms for tires. For instance, partes is often used near the Mexican border with the U.S. to indicate parts, but the real term is repuestos, which I use in D.F. (or Mexico City).

BTW, growing up in Miami, I hardly ever heard the term cojones used among any of segment of the Latin population, kind of an outdated term like swell that we don't use anymore.

I was thinking maybe a term like, "Un toro con turbo, a bull with a turbo."
Old 03-26-06, 09:22 AM
MongooseGA
Racer

Originally Posted by LexLaw
Who are these few "demographics" you speak of?? I, as both an Afr. Am/ Latino 28 yr old Male and more importantly a HUMAN BEING do not separate myself from the "majority" that you speak of.
You just did. I hate the term "African-American". Very few black people in America know, or even care about their ancestory in Africa. The same goes for white people and their ancestors from Europe or wherever. By calling yourself an "African"-American, you're seperating yourself from the rest of America. I actually know my European heritage as my grand mother was born in Germany and married my American grand father, who brought her stateside. I have never heard a white person use a term like "German-American" to identify themself. What's wrong with just being an American?

Segregation was still around ~50 years ago. Obviously, you and I weren't alive then so we only know what our elders and history books tell us. But, what else happened only ~60 years ago? The Holocaust? Very seldom do I ever hear any Jewish people, especially the ones who weren't alive at the time, speak about the "oppression" upon them in Europe. However, this is often the case with alot of black people I know. Often very quick to point out the hardships that their older relatives, not even them, suffered earlier this century. I have a friend named Taj who always thinks something is owed to him because black people were treated poorly 50 years ago. What kind of an ego/attitude is that to have?

If the goal for minorities in this country is equality, then why can't people stop seperating themselves from the majority? In my school, there's an Asian/Picific Islander club, an "African-American" club, Jewish clubs, etc... Stop seperating yourself from the rest and you'll probably find that people will stop caring about your differences in physical appearance. The minorities always talk of equality and a world without racial biases, but they're bringing it upon themselves with everything I've mentioned.

Obviously I can't empathize with you because I'm white and don't know what you may have had to deal with growing up as a minority, so this is all just one person's perspective on the topic.
Old 03-26-06, 10:45 AM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

You just did. I hate the term "African-American". Very few black people in America know, or even care about their ancestory in Africa. The same goes for white people and their ancestors from Europe or wherever. By calling yourself an "African"-American, you're seperating yourself from the rest of America. I actually know my European heritage as my grand mother was born in Germany and married my American grand father, who brought her stateside. I have never heard a white person use a term like "German-American" to identify themself. What's wrong with just being an American?

Segregation was still around ~50 years ago. Obviously, you and I weren't alive then so we only know what our elders and history books tell us. But, what else happened only ~60 years ago? The Holocaust? Very seldom do I ever hear any Jewish people, especially the ones who weren't alive at the time, speak about the "oppression" upon them in Europe. However, this is often the case with alot of black people I know. Often very quick to point out the hardships that their older relatives, not even them, suffered earlier this century. I have a friend named Taj who always thinks something is owed to him because black people were treated poorly 50 years ago. What kind of an ego/attitude is that to have?

If the goal for minorities in this country is equality, then why can't people stop seperating themselves from the majority? In my school, there's an Asian/Picific Islander club, an "African-American" club, Jewish clubs, etc... Stop seperating yourself from the rest and you'll probably find that people will stop caring about your differences in physical appearance. The minorities always talk of equality and a world without racial biases, but they're bringing it upon themselves with everything I've mentioned.

Obviously I can't empathize with you because I'm white and don't know what you may have had to deal with growing up as a minority, so this is all just one person's perspective on the topic.
First off you say that very few blacks/Afr Americans in this country care about or have knowledge of their ancestory. I'm dying to know how you came to this scientific conclusion? Was there a poll conducted? If so I never got the memo. Did you go door to door? Did you watch old episodes of Good Times? Or did you ask your many Black friends? I need to know this.

1. I referred to myself as Afr Am (along with Latino) because those are the ethnicities that I Identify with can I trace further yes somewhat but as you know most of us cannot due to slavery ind its ramifications. And yes I am American and and human first and foremost as I also stated. By the way many Caucasians in this country proudly identify with thier ethnicties by calling themselves Italian Americans, or Irish or whatever. And have every right to. Perhaps because you may not live in a diverse community/metropolis such as NYC then you may not have encountered or understand this. And if you recall you did make a remark about "demographics" so thats why also mentioned that I'm Afr Am 28 y.o. male (did your forget that part)and not just American. And it's nice that you can say your just American and are actually treated that way. All of us are not as fortunate for a number of reasons and too long to go into. And if I did you still wouldnt undersand or acknowledge them because you have your beliefs and ideas that are embedded into your mind well before today.

2. Jews constantly remind themselves and the rest of our society about the atrocities of the holocaust and have every right to do so. As it is something none of us should ever forget along with all other historical events postive or negative.

3. I'm not here to change the way you think, or make you more sensitive to why there is an existance of ethnic or more specifally "minority" social clubs in schools that matter. Just you posing that question shows me that will never get it. BTW have you ever heard of the Columbus day, St. Patricks, Puerto Rican Day or Labor Day Parades?? In additiion I don't seperate myself from the "majority" as you put it. You think the "majority" doesn't do that for me. I get pulled over randomly and a far frequent rate than you would and endure verbal abuse from cops. I enter elevators or walk down streets and have had caucasian women clutch their bags as if I threaten their security. Mind you many times I'm suited up or dressed casually and have a "clean cut look". Hmm I wonder why. I also have had the"majority tell me in both school and in professional settings tell me that "you speak so well", as If I shouldnt be able to articulate myself, never mind that English is my native language. I have also had peers/friends of the "majority" tell me that I don't act like the rest or I'm different. Whatever that's supposed to mean. So no I don't seperate myself from mainstream America or the Majority that is done for me on a daily basis covertly or overtly.

4. Lastly I'm going to refrain from replying to whatever response you choose to type here as this is car chat and we both have somewhat strayed from the original topic of this specific thread. I also realize your views will be your views and youre entitled to them.You along with everyone else in this forum is what makes this forum so great because we represent a broad view of ideoligies and values due to our individual experiences. Peace

Last edited by LexLaw; 03-26-06 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-26-06, 03:11 PM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce van
I think calling the GTI a sports car is offensive..
Hahahaha... +1

People in general always seem to be looking for something to whine or complain about. They all need to be slapped - ****!!!
Old 03-26-06, 08:52 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

People who are offended are people who need to get a life....funny thing in our society if you want something you need to work for it.....then again, if you look at the opposite end of the spectrum you live like crap, but everything is free. For those smacktards who thought that this sign was offensive i have 2 words for you:

Look Down

How hard is it to just look away honestly? They should poll how many people are offended and how many are not...This type of BS has to stop....