Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Volkswagen removes billboards from 3 cities after complaints

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-06, 09:07 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MongooseGA
You just did. I hate the term "African-American". Very few black people in America know, or even care about their ancestory in Africa. The same goes for white people and their ancestors from Europe or wherever. By calling yourself an "African"-American, you're seperating yourself from the rest of America. I actually know my European heritage as my grand mother was born in Germany and married my American grand father, who brought her stateside. I have never heard a white person use a term like "German-American" to identify themself. What's wrong with just being an American?

Segregation was still around ~50 years ago. Obviously, you and I weren't alive then so we only know what our elders and history books tell us. But, what else happened only ~60 years ago? The Holocaust? Very seldom do I ever hear any Jewish people, especially the ones who weren't alive at the time, speak about the "oppression" upon them in Europe. However, this is often the case with alot of black people I know. Often very quick to point out the hardships that their older relatives, not even them, suffered earlier this century. I have a friend named Taj who always thinks something is owed to him because black people were treated poorly 50 years ago. What kind of an ego/attitude is that to have?

If the goal for minorities in this country is equality, then why can't people stop seperating themselves from the majority? In my school, there's an Asian/Picific Islander club, an "African-American" club, Jewish clubs, etc... Stop seperating yourself from the rest and you'll probably find that people will stop caring about your differences in physical appearance. The minorities always talk of equality and a world without racial biases, but they're bringing it upon themselves with everything I've mentioned.

Obviously I can't empathize with you because I'm white and don't know what you may have had to deal with growing up as a minority, so this is all just one person's perspective on the topic.
Dude, your way off. Your acting like blacks coined the term "African Americans". That was given to them, along with "native american", "pacific-islander" and whatever terms the PEOPLE IN POWER made and enforced and influenced.

Of course no one uses "Scottish-American" or "German-America" because in AMERICA, its just WHITE. And on any form for education or survey, you will see the same.

So you cannot even begin to go there.

The Holocaust was sad and an awful time in human history. I agree and sympothize. Well how about 400 years worth and hundreds of years of free labor. And guess what , that happened HERE, theHolocaust was in Europe. Both are just horrible examples of how human beings can destroy one another.

As for seperating themselves from the majority, WHO ON EARTH DO YOU THINK STARTED SEGREGATION IN AMERICA???? I am not saying segregation is not a part of minorities, hell Natve American tribes clashed as did African tribes as well as Chinese etc etc.

In AMERICA, people in power CREATED segregation and those NOT IN POWER had to huddle and come together and make their own stores, clubs, etc b/c THEY WERE NOT ALLOWED in the ones already established.

Hell its not even a minority thing. Try walking down the block in New York in the late 1800s if you were not part of the right ethic group, i.e Italians, Irish, German, etc......

Old 03-26-06, 09:10 PM
LexFather

Now as for the sign, its funny but Motor Trend had an article on the Acura CL-S, a 1 page review when it first debuted and besides calling it a Japanes Ford Thunderbird, they said the styling needed more Cajones.

The next month, someone actually wrote a letter explaining the proper way to use it and spelling.

So looks like this word is a big deal to the Hispanic community. It is odd though as I think Beetles are made in Mexico and they have a solid precense there.

I don't see the big deal, but I am not Hispanic, so I may not understand. This is a time it seems EVERYONE complains and this LAND OF FREEDOM seems to become more and more tangled in tape and what we CANNOT DO and I am sure our founding fathers are thinking WTF right about now about a lot of things.