Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Mulls High-Performance Driving School . . .

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-06, 11:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by maz
Lesson 1: How to turn off VDIM
HAHA that's in the advanced course
Old 03-21-06, 12:39 AM
akhbhaat
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd rather see them spend the money to put a proper gearbox in the IS350.
Old 03-21-06, 09:20 AM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think they should do it and have the gs350-gs430-is350-is250 sixspeed as the featured vehicles it should be catered like the taste of lexus event and they also should have an offroad driving school for the gx and lx as well. I will go to both classes if they offer them. They should also have a few drivers from team lexus there doing demos and also showing off their race car.

Last edited by MSMLexIS; 03-21-06 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-21-06, 10:20 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by newr
question - what kind of racing are they doing with the IS350 W/auto anyway? thanks.
American Le Mans Series
Old 03-21-06, 10:28 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by genearch
I'm not sure how these would be structured.. If it's catered affair with crumpets and finger food, swans and someone playing a harp, then Lexus will be right at home. If it's a true driving school, Lexus needs some new product to bring to the track.

Would an LS/SC or GS driver be interested in tracking an IS? Would an IS driver care to learn the dynamics of a GS450? If the plan is to sell 2,000 GS450's, why bother?

- Electronic nannies must have the ability to disable... no mojo, but a real button on the dash.
- Steering feel... it simply is not there, GS and IS both need help.

Holding a "high performance" driving school means you need a lineup of true "high performance" cars. As of right now they don't. BMW has an excellent school program, if you buy a 6 series or M car, there is no charge for the 2 day school. You simply pay your travel expenses and everything else is on them. I am really looking forward to the 6 series school and the M school later this year.

BMW offers:

Two Day School
One Day Teen School
Womens One Day Driving School
One Day School
Drive Fore Drive
X Driving Experience
M School

Lexus is getting ahead of themselves here. Get a real "high"performance car lineup first. the IS350 or GS450 are by no means performance cars. the BMW M series is, the MB AMG series is as well. I don't really consider the E63 a "high performance" car, but I'll take what they give me.
Great post genearch. You just about sum it up. The idea of a high-performance driving school is cool only if there are high-performing cars to begin with, not the other way around.
Old 03-21-06, 10:43 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

I'm not sure how these would be structured.. If it's catered affair with crumpets and finger food, swans and someone playing a harp, then Lexus will be right at home. If it's a true driving school, Lexus needs some new product to bring to the track.

Would an LS/SC or GS driver be interested in tracking an IS? Would an IS driver care to learn the dynamics of a GS450? If the plan is to sell 2,000 GS450's, why bother?

- Electronic nannies must have the ability to disable... no mojo, but a real button on the dash.
- Steering feel... it simply is not there, GS and IS both need help.

Holding a "high performance" driving school means you need a lineup of true "high performance" cars. As of right now they don't. BMW has an excellent school program, if you buy a 6 series or M car, there is no charge for the 2 day school. You simply pay your travel expenses and everything else is on them. I am really looking forward to the 6 series school and the M school later this year.

BMW offers:

Two Day School
One Day Teen School
Womens One Day Driving School
One Day School
Drive Fore Drive
X Driving Experience
M School

Lexus is getting ahead of themselves here. Get a real "high"performance car lineup first. the IS350 or GS450 are by no means performance cars. the BMW M series is, the MB AMG series is as well. I don't really consider the E63 a "high performance" car, but I'll take what they give me.
They're getting prepared for the new high performance V10 Lexus sports car.

This driving school for the non-performance cars will be a learning exercise for them. And probably a humbling one too.
Old 03-21-06, 11:07 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default I'm for it . . .

You can still do high performance driving with not-too-high-performance-cars, it can be more challenging that way & fun too
Old 03-21-06, 11:26 AM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
You can still do high performance driving with not-too-high-performance-cars, it can be more challenging that way & fun too
I think the IS350 and the GS430 are both high performance cars.
Old 03-21-06, 11:39 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

They actually are compared to the previous generations AMG/M/S etc., so I have no problem with them organizing the driving school ( Do BMW only offer their M models to drive in their driving school ?), but Lexus do not have anything comparable with the new AMG/M/S yet .
Old 03-21-06, 12:02 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Turning the nannies off would be no problem, but I do agree they should just put in an off switch, plus make a real manual transmission available for the IS350.

The GS450h has been getting very good reviews with it's handling so far with the new optional active stabilizer (though not in a comparison with other cars yet), I suppose this option will be available with the upgraded GS350/460 & LS460 too ?
Old 03-21-06, 03:25 PM
LexFather

I am curious to see a comparable Lexus vs BMW at the track with professional drivers and see what happens. Like on top gear.

To hell with speculation. hell I may set something up

Old 03-22-06, 07:10 AM
LexFather

The biggest problem is finding a "comparable" Lexus

Go big or don't go at all.

IS350 vs. M3
GS450H vs. M5
SC430 vs. M6
LS460 vs. 760li
LX470 vs. X5 4.8
lol, sorry, Lexus is cough 16 years old. BMW, cough, 80 or so We don't know if Lexus really wants to compete with such low volume cars. Clearly they haven't thus far. The speculation is the "h" cars are a living study as to becoming a M/AMG alternative.

and I meand
IS250 vs 330
GS 430 vs 550
SC430 vs 650 droptop
LS 460 vs 750
as for SUVs, lol, I don't think its any comparison X5>Lexus

What I was saying is I wonder how far BMW would be ahead on a trap. 3-5 seconds is a HUGE difference on a short course. If its less than that, the point is moot.

And even then, you get to brag your car is 5 seconds faster on the track where no one drives.

I think if Lexus thinks of that, they won't offer this course.

I do agree if they DO want to offer the course, they need to OFFER the right cars. I agree with that.

Old 03-22-06, 08:40 AM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

I did some internet research and it looks like lexus had a performance drving school before and i guess it went successfully. So i say go for it lexus and if you have one close by ill e the first one to sign up.
Old 03-22-06, 02:56 PM
LexFather

You can't have it both ways. When it's to your favor you equate Lexus = Toyota. I see that time and time again in threads here. If people say "it's only a Toyota", people come back with 'Lexus is a world car" and is not sold as a Toyota any longer and do what they can to distance Lexus from Toyota. Toyota introduced their first car in 1935.

The press release says "Lexus officials tell Inside Line they will likely open a high-performance driving school for owners of such products as the 2007 GS 450h and the 2006 IS 350"

You posed the hypothetical "I am curious to see a comparable Lexus vs BMW at the track with professional drivers and see what happens. Like on top gear"

Since the topic is a "High Performance" driving school, I would never expect any manufacturer to not bring their biggest gun to the affair.

Lexus does not have a horse in the race in nearly every category.

It's not a Lexus vs. BMW issue, it's a Lexus vs. BMW/MB/Audi

What happens vs. MB and the AMG cars? Same thing.. I'm not sure what would be the IS350 competitor.. Either way...

GS450h vs AMG CLS55
SC430 vs. AMG SL or even AMG SLK
LS460 vs. S550 (until the AMG comes)

My point is that to offer a performance driving school. you need REAl performance cars. The IS350 is quick and sporty but loses on the track. Maybe the GS450H will surprise, but with a run of 2K cars a year, it's not going to change people's opinion to begin believing that Lexus is a "high Performance" company.

Not sure why your getting all stuck on "high performance"= M/AMG/S/RS. So a 550 or 650 or GS 450 is not high performance? Maybe they need to change the name from "High Performance" to something else.

I don't see how anyone can not support ANY driving school. Especially since most owners of high performance cars don't track them or drag them. Most are garage queens or 3rd cars.

Clearly when people think High Performance, Lexus is not included on that boat. They are trying to change that perception, maybe one car at a time.

If I remember correctly, they offered a "performance" school in the past, we even had it on our Clublexus homepage. I wonder if this is different?