Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti adopts design theme for new marketing campaigns

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-06, 05:04 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Infiniti adopts design theme for new marketing campaigns

Infiniti adopts design theme for marketing campaigns
Dale Buss | | Automotive News / March 20, 2006 - 6:00 am

The way Scott Fessenden sees it, there was an empty parking space marked "design." Infiniti drove in.

Fessenden, 53, is Infiniti Division's marketing director. About 18 months ago, he says, Infiniti embraced design as its primary brand identifier. That was largely because none of its luxury-brand rivals had taken the spot, he concedes.

"BMW stands for performance, the 'ultimate driving machine,'" Fessenden says. "Lexus owns quality and reliability and underscores that with their tag line, 'the passionate pursuit of perfection.' Mercedes stood for the pinnacle of engineering. So with design, we're at a very honest place for us to live."

An Infiniti tag line now calls the company "Brave. By design." Its signature vehicle is the FX, an aggressively defined SUV. Infiniti also has moved bold design inside, with departures such as the curved instrument panel in the new M sedan.

Nissan North America Inc. used radical vehicle designs to rescue Nissan Division a few years ago, when it risked losing its foothold in the U.S. market. The company then organized meetings between Infiniti's chief designer, who worked in Japan, and the brand's U.S. marketing staff and advertising agencies.

"Design just exposed itself as very fertile marketing ground for us," Fessenden says.

Infiniti is placing lush ads that tell design stories in auto enthusiast magazines. Last December, along with Conde Nast magazines, the company hosted a design forum for journalists at the hip New York restaurant Nobu. The event featured fashion designer Vivian Tam.

An "Infiniti in Black" marketing campaign is pursuing African-American consumers. Last month, Infiniti sponsored a 30-minute program on design on the BET cable TV channel.

Fessenden, a 23-year Nissan executive, has a background in operations and sales. But he says Infiniti's emphasis on design is affecting his behavior.

"I drive an M right now," he says, "because it's got such a presence and stance on the road."

Does Infiniti truely stand for great design?? Discuss....
http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...8/1003%3Cbr%3E

Last edited by magneto112; 03-21-06 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-21-06, 05:21 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bmw engineered their cars to be performance oriented, same with Lexus with quality, and mercedes the same with being technologically advanced... this is nothing more than a marketing gimick to me... I don't think they have distinguished themselves enough as the "design" company yet... and it seems like they are admitting that was the only thing left over, so they are gonna run with it.
Old 03-21-06, 07:19 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I personally think that the body lines on all the Infiniti vehicles are very nice, minus the first G35 sedans and the QX56. I think their exteriors are great. They don't really leave a whole lot out when they design their exteriors. They're pretty symmetrical, artistic designs.

Interiors are a different story, but I love the M35/45's interior
Old 03-21-06, 09:38 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If there is one company which can claim the 'design' angle, that would be AUDI. Hands down.

A8, A6, A4, TT. All beautiful designs.

Anybody disagree with me?
Old 03-21-06, 10:10 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce van
If there is one company which can claim the 'design' angle, that would be AUDI. Hands down.

WERD homie!! I think I said this before, but its hard for me to not like Audi right now. Big grill and all, those cars have some presence. They are very beautiful.

Though Jaguar isnt really in the spot light like they used to be, I still love there designs as well and probably always will. IMO they have the most character out of all the luxo companies. The new models look great too.

To me Infiniti only makes one nice looking car and that is the G35 Coupe. Everything else to me is mediocre. I know many were drooling over the G35 Coupe Concept at Detroit, but I particularly did not care for it. But if they think they can pull this off(which I doubt) then go ahead. More power to them.
Old 03-21-06, 11:24 PM
yellowssm
Lead Lap

I think infinity is the last luxury brand i'd buy.
Old 03-22-06, 06:17 AM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bruce van

I find Audi dull. Benz has the best designs IMO. The current CLS, CL
and SL are the most stylish cars out there.

They have flair in a very good way unlike the hideous BMW flair.

Many will argue that the Benz are overpriced and inferior in handling etc.
but the styling undeliably rules.
Old 03-22-06, 06:40 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by marshmallo
I find Audi dull. Benz has the best designs IMO. The current CLS, CL
and SL are the most stylish cars out there.

They have flair in a very good way unlike the hideous BMW flair.

Many will argue that the Benz are overpriced and inferior in handling etc.
but the styling undeliably rules.
I agree. Benz began making beautifully designed cars starting from the previous CLK & then the W220 S class, & since then, most of the models in their line-up looks very nice & elegant(with a couple of exceptions). However, I don't really like the new S & the new CL (spyshots), I hope they're not an indication of the direction of where their other future models are going . . .
Old 03-22-06, 06:55 AM
LexFather

I must say they may not be doing the best marketing job but it has improved and at least I can say they have tons of ads in magazines.

They have a 2 page ad showing how the FX (sounds like RX don't it) roofline and G35 roofline are the same. Its not bad until you try to read the print and they made it so dark, you literally can't read a thing. I thought it was just that magazine but in all the mags, the same thing. You cannot read it.

They did a good job with the previous 2page ads, where one side were these giant words and the other side showed the car.

Thing is, I don't think anyone looks at this company as anywhere near a design leader.

I would give Mercedes Benz the design award. They make some beautiful cars. The CLS is incredible. After seeing the R-class in person, no minivan is close to its design cues. Even the new cars with the giant wheel arches speaks precense. People have copied

Then as much as I think new BMWs look like shredded paper, you have to give it to them. They now look even more like BMWs. Creases everywhere, backpack trunks, love it or hate it, they LEAD design. People have copied.

I think Audi design is FANTASTIC but they don't LEAD. If anything, those large snouts they have scream Chrysler LHS. They still all have 1 design theme in different sizes. Nothing wrong with that. I must say the Audi TT led and CHANGED the way we look at interiors.

Lexus, follows but leads as well. Clearly the ES/LS/GX/LX have broken no ground. Then you have
IS-Altezza, now everyone does them, so that is leading
GS-quad lamps intergrated into the body front and rear, curved roofline. Now everyone does it.
SC-like BMW as in love or hate, but clearly no other car looks like it
RX-created the segment, copied to this day

I don't think any other brands have come close to leading anything. They just copy what BMW, Benz and Lexus does. Thus Infiniti cannot be a leader as no one has copied anything they have done.

Old 03-22-06, 10:01 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

The thing with marketing, as much as we might hate to admit it as car enthusiasts, is that they are not marketing to us. They know that we see these ads as completely transparent. Who here buys cars based on advertising? Bueller? Right.

The whole idea, like the passionate pursuit of perfection, the ultimate driving machine, etc.. is to get a catch phrase that is easy to remember and easy to associate with a brand - plaster it on to some semi-stylish and brand fitting ads, and hope like hell that it catchs on. I think Infiniti is doing on ok job with their commercials and billboard ads (I really like their G and FX commercials), but they have a serious problem with *dealer* commercials. I never, ever, ever see "Bob's Lexus Dealer!" commercials advertising low lease rates and "COME ON DOWN", but I occassionally see them for Infiniti, and it cheapens the entire brand image. They need to take a page out of Lexus's book (again) and reign that in.

As an aside, I saw a GS commercial that was filmed on Lombard Street in SF a couple days ago (they fill Lombard with snow then the GS goes down it), it was pretty funny and cool. Not typical Lexus advertising, but I liked it.

Cheers.
Old 03-22-06, 10:35 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Best design goes to Aston Martin. Ferrari comes at a very close second. Audi is also provides good design but with affordability.

But like how Target is focusing on "design for everyone", I think Infiniti is doing a good job in creating auto designs that are distinctive and very affordable. You know an FX from a sea of SUVs. The G35 coupe and sedans are pretty distinguishable on the road. Infiniti is doing a good job in creating distinctive designs across the board. M-Benz is doing a good job, but their designs are not distinctive across the board; most of their sedans (inside and out) are not distinctive. BMW interiors need work. Lexus needs flair.

In general, I'd give Infiniti a for design, but they don't claim the best in any design category such as exteriors, interiors, originality, appeal, or passion.
Old 03-31-06, 10:49 PM
L-Finesser
Rookie

Infiniti might not stand for design today, but their styling has been good recently and this "merketing platform" at least defines what they will stand for. If I were Audi, I'd be bummed. This is the kind if thing they should say. But Infiniti is now in this "parkeing space."
Old 03-31-06, 11:31 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by L-Finesser
Infiniti might not stand for design today, but their styling has been good recently and this "merketing platform" at least defines what they will stand for. If I were Audi, I'd be bummed. This is the kind if thing they should say. But Infiniti is now in this "parkeing space."
Audi>>Infiniti, not even close.