Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota targeting off-road enthusiasts with FJ Cruiser ad campaign

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-06, 01:39 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Toyota targeting off-road enthusiasts with FJ Cruiser ad campaign

Toyota is targeting off-road enthusiasts with the marketing of its new FJ Cruiser.

The FJ Cruiser goes on sale Monday, March 27.

The campaign that Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. Inc. plans for the FJ includes off-road events, print advertising and online marketing. It will not include TV commercials.

The marketing campaign will run through December. Toyota did not divulge its cost.

Steve Jett, Toyota's national truck advertising and event marketing manager, says the company wants to use the FJ to conquest four-wheel-drive customers.

Toyota asserts that off-road driving is compatible with the FJ's high-tech equipment, such as its electronic traction control and independent front suspension.

"We have to be creative and unique in how we market this vehicle, given its volume, and at the same time defend its authenticity" as an off-road vehicle, Jett told Automotive News.

Jett says Toyota expects to sell 40,000 of the FJ SUVs each year. The FJ has a base price of $23,495, including shipping. The Jeep Wrangler is likely to be its chief competitor.

About 90,000 people have asked for information about the FJ, Toyota says. But only about a fourth of them said they would take the FJ off-road.

By contrast, 63 percent of Wrangler owners say they use those vehicles for off-road activities, the Chrysler group says.

Hit the trail
Starting next month, Toyota will send "trail teams" to as many as 100 off-road events around the country this year. Each team will include an expert off-road driver. Toyota will display FJ Cruisers at the events and allow participants to drive them.

The teams also will visit meetings of 4x4 enthusiast clubs and 4x4 jamborees. Paul Czaplicki, Toyota's truck advertising manager, says the company will sponsor ride and drives, barbecues and informational sessions at these events.

Toyota will take digital pictures of off-road enthusiasts driving or riding in the FJ, Jett says. They can send the pictures to friends via e-mail -- an example of so-called viral marketing.

"We want these vehicles to become part of the fabric of off-road communities," Jett says.

The trail teams will account for as much as half of the FJ's marketing budget, Jett says.

Another third of the budget will go to print advertising, and the rest will go to online marketing.

Because Toyota is aiming the FJ campaign at enthusiasts, Jett says, it will not include TV commercials or consumer ride and drive events such as the Chrysler group's "Jeep 101."
High tech, no fear
Starting this month, Toyota is advertising the FJ in enthusiast magazines such as 4-Wheel & Off-Road and Dirt Sports. The print ads defend the FJ's high-tech equipment.

"Before you go throwing the baby out with the bath water and condemn the FJ because of its independent front suspension, take a deep breath," one ad reads. "Any skilled driver will tell you that in the right hands, a properly set up IFS can go anywhere a solid axle will go."

Another ad has the headline: "Active Traction Control. Don't hate it because it's beautiful."

Douglas McColloch, editorial director of 4-Wheel & Off-Road, says Toyota faces a tough sell to off-road enthusiasts.

Many of them are loyal to domestic truck brands, he says.

"Toyota enthusiasts are going to be most receptive to this vehicle initially," McColloch says.

"If they can't preach to the choir and get a good response, then they are not going to sell the FJ across the board to other 4x4 enthusiasts. Most of these are going to be sold as daily drivers rather than trail machines."

McColloch says he doubts the FJ will attract many conquests from owners of the Jeep Wrangler, which has a traditional solid front and rear axle and five-link coil suspension. But he says the FJ could outsell the Wrangler among buyers other than off-road enthusiasts because of Toyota's reputation for superior quality.

Source: http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../60320009/1041
Old 03-22-06, 03:42 PM
LexFather

I think its hideous inside and out and pointless. Its also pisses me off they can make a damn OFF-ROADER that is a SERIOUS off-roader but won't make a SPORTS CAR or SEDAN that is a SERIOUS Sport one.

Makes no sense. Its okay to make a true off roader but not a true sports car/sedan.

Dumb.

Old 03-22-06, 06:13 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I think its hideous inside and out and pointless. Its also pisses me off they can make a damn OFF-ROADER that is a SERIOUS off-roader but won't make a SPORTS CAR or SEDAN that is a SERIOUS Sport one.

Makes no sense. Its okay to make a true off roader but not a true sports car/sedan.

Dumb.
Mike, I feel ya on this, but let me play devil’s advocate for a moment. Toyota is not a daring company, SUV’s sell. GM is a daring company, from the Allante to the SSR, and look where it’s gotten them.

Not to say that GM’s daring is the only reason they are where they are, but you know what I mean. Lets hope Toyota's tortoise and hair approach (Toyota being the tortoise of course) to sports cars pays off. From what we’ve seen from the LF-A, it has a lot of promise. And all the mags think there’s a new Supra coming soon.
Old 03-22-06, 07:41 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very true.. A stylish truck its not but lemmie tell u we have a 80' series and a 100 series, 96 land cruiser and a 98 LX470 and Toyota really knows their stuff when it makes a trucks.. I've taken both of these trucks off road/towing and they are amazing in their stock shape.... now once again I am with u on the styling thing.. Looks like *****, but if u every wanted a truck that will go anywhere and do anything go with Toyota.. .

Dumb.
Old 03-22-06, 08:08 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I like it.

Though they really do need to focus on coupes. They only have 3 coupes. Both around 20K and one ALL THE WAY AT 65K. Pretty rediculous.
Old 03-22-06, 08:09 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Is this FJ even on sale yet??
Old 03-22-06, 08:13 PM
LexFather

I agree its a capable truck and Toyota has proven it can build some of the toughest trucks/SUVs around. Thing is Toyota has
RAv4
4-runner
Highlander
Landcruiser
Highlander
Lexus has
RX
GX
LX
and now here comes
FJ
and cancel
Celica
MR-2
wait for IS coupe

Then they wonder why Toyota is not considered sporty and younger buyers don't buy and they ahve to create SCION to sell cars.

Was it really necesary? Or is this something just to say it can battle the H3 and Xterra?

Old 03-22-06, 08:24 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Was it really necesary? Or is this something just to say it can battle the H3 and Xterra?
Originally Posted by Overclocker
Toyota is not a daring company, SUV’s sell.
It’s a simple equation, the concept truck got rave reviews and Toyota just ran with it.

Underpinnings of the already capable 4Runner + new exterior that was in keeping with the concept + low overall price = new truck hit!
Old 03-22-06, 08:25 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Overclocker
It’s a simple equation, the concept truck got rave reviews and Toyota just ran with it.

Underpinnings of the already capable 4Runner + new exterior that was in keeping with the concept + low overall price = new truck hit!
I do agree, the low price is incredible

Old 03-23-06, 05:15 AM
tetra7
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you think about Toyota's roots, they started as a truck/suv company so they know trucks/suvs. I also agree that it would be nice seeing them push more into sedans and sports cars, but why deviate from what you know best (especially if it's helping you become and more importantly stay at the top). I have to give them credit for slowly stepping away from their conservative business model and creaping into the other areas as they are slowly doing w/ hybrids, different sedans and finally a sports GT car.
Old 03-23-06, 09:08 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

I agree its a capable truck and Toyota has proven it can build some of the toughest trucks/SUVs around. Thing is Toyota has
RAv4
4-runner
Highlander
Landcruiser
Highlander
Lexus has
RX
GX
LX
and now here comes
FJ
and cancel
Celica
MR-2
wait for IS coupe

Then they wonder why Toyota is not considered sporty and younger buyers don't buy and they ahve to create SCION to sell cars.

well, they cancelled Celica but they made tC, which sells more than MRS and Celica combined. And Supra. And old IS/Altezza. So combine them all, and tC outsells them :-).

Toyota has huge truck heritage and sells huge amounts of trucks around the world. It is only normal for Toyota to do another truck.