Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which one?
Lexus GS 300 AWD
5.06%
Lexus GS 350 AWD
54.43%
Toyota Avalon
5.06%
Acura RL
24.05%
Buick Lucerne
0%
IS 250 AWD
11.39%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Help Me Pick a Sedan!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-06, 06:11 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
No problem. I do have to LOL at everyone here suggesting you to buy a RL, when they know they wouldn't spend THEIR money on it. So why tell you to buy it?
Actually I would, but saving up for an S600.
Old 03-23-06, 06:36 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by genearch
Ah yes.. the M35X.. since it wasn't on your list I didn't think of suggesting it.

Versus all of those cars, I think the M35x is the winner hands down. The NAV is first rate as well. If you went for the Journey Package, you'd be well under $50K.

M35x is a fine automobile with conservative but pleasant styling that people actually
buy. It has style, but a ridiculous looking interior and a harsh stiff ride. Having said
that I'd take this car over an RL anyday. It was my 2nd choice and is definitely worthy
of consideration.
Old 03-24-06, 12:28 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Not directed towards you but the RL is one of those cars that people recommened to get but that same person wouldn't buy it.

Its like what Jeremy Clarkson said about the 350Z "a great car but I'd rather cut off my own foot than own one".
LOL. True. Actually I recommend M35 Sport more but it is not on the poll.
Old 03-24-06, 08:40 AM
LexFather

The M35 won't be added b/c the dealer is not convient for the lady.

Old 03-24-06, 09:27 AM
Milla...

To me It sounds like the Subie will suit you and your needs perfectly fine.
If you notice all these new cars are on this sport trip Lexus/Acura/ Infiniti with the low profile tires and sporty suspension and the power to go with it which are some of the things you really don't care for (what I gather from your comments here) . All of that alone leaves the Subie one of the only ones left standing....
Old 03-25-06, 12:08 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
The Acura RL. The New GS has touchy brakes
Only the 430. It's a brake by wire system... takes some getting used to, but you get the hang of it pretty quickly. This is non-existant on the 300.
Old 03-25-06, 09:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRupp
It's a brake by wire system... takes some getting used to, but you get the hang of it pretty quickly. .
Perhaps....but don't count on it. Mercedes has used those POS brake-by-wire systems on several of its vehicles in the last several years and is dumping them and going back to straight hydraulic systems because of persistant unreliability and many customer complaints.
Old 03-25-06, 12:18 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Perhaps....but don't count on it. Mercedes has used those POS brake-by-wire systems on several of its vehicles in the last several years and is dumping them and going back to straight hydraulic systems because of persistant unreliability and many customer complaints.
Sensotronic Brake Control. The features of it sound good, but the problems with it are not worth it.
Old 03-25-06, 08:31 PM
Lexwang07

My pick for Lexus GS300 AWD!
Old 03-28-06, 02:37 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Default Story so far

I actually drove the Accura RL today. It was OK, but for this price I want to feel enveloped in luxury. I am not crossing it off, but I am hoping for better.

I went to look at the Avalon. We didn't like the the inside much. The Salesman (who we knew from the last time we went looking), told us it was mostly an "old person's" car. We are not exactly spring chickens, so I guess when he says old he means OLD. We were somewhat impressed by the new 07 Camry, however. If they can get one stacked enough it would be worth another look. The better inside was pretty nice, but we didn't see one with Nav. I'm not keen on the odd light blue plastic or the blonde look like wood, but I guess I could get used to that. We need one with at least leather and a V6 for it to be worth a test drive.

We were told the Camry V6s were rare and flew off the lot at full MSRP.

I know the Camry is not AWD, but front wheel drive in a car like this would probably be OK with a few inches of snow - for more we have the GX.

I haven't been back to Lexus yet - want to go when we have more time.
Old 03-28-06, 08:54 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by SilverLady
I actually drove the Accura RL today. It was OK, but for this price I want to feel enveloped in luxury. I am not crossing it off, but I am hoping for better.

I went to look at the Avalon. We didn't like the the inside much. The Salesman (who we knew from the last time we went looking), told us it was mostly an "old person's" car. We are not exactly spring chickens, so I guess when he says old he means OLD. We were somewhat impressed by the new 07 Camry, however. If they can get one stacked enough it would be worth another look. The better inside was pretty nice, but we didn't see one with Nav. I'm not keen on the odd light blue plastic or the blonde look like wood, but I guess I could get used to that. We need one with at least leather and a V6 for it to be worth a test drive.

I know the Camry is not AWD, but front wheel drive in a car like this would probably be OK with a few inches of snow - for more we have the GX.

Thanks for the update (pet peeve, I hate when people start "what should I get" threads and never respond or don't tell us their decision)

Old 03-28-06, 09:04 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverLady

Well, if you werent much impressed by the RL and desire more Luxorious interior, the you should defenately check out GS300AWD. It doesn't have as much power, but its interior is more upscale looking, and with the GS350 due out in fall, you should be able to get a killer deal.
Old 03-29-06, 02:13 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Sorry Buick.

M.
Old 03-29-06, 03:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by whipimpin
Sorry Buick.

M.
What is that supposed to mean?
Are you recommending a Buick or calling it a sorry product?
Old 03-29-06, 05:13 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

I think he said sorry because he's recommending a Buick instead of a Lexus.

Quick Reply: Help Me Pick a Sedan!