Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Should Team Lexus keep their current color scheme?
YES - I like the current color scheme
30.56%
NO - I'd like to see something different
63.89%
Indifferent - I don't really care but since I reading this here I'll vote
5.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Should Team Lexus keep their current colors?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-06, 12:51 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Does BMW do that I know they have Laguna Seca Blue as a color.
Old 03-23-06, 09:03 PM
trent
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think they need to changed the colors, I was never crazy about the orange
Old 03-24-06, 05:37 AM
Lvangundy

Is Toyota Motor Company involved in this survey ?

Old 03-24-06, 05:45 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,332 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Originally Posted by Lvangundy
Is Toyota Motor Company involved in this survey ?

No, this is just about Lexus Motorsports.
Old 03-24-06, 07:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Count me in with the suggestions by 1SICK and others for Lexus to market the Team Orange color on some of their production cars. With the exception of the gorgeous Matador Red, there's too many funeral-home colors on the Lexus palate today.
The Solar Yellow and Absolutely Red on the early and mid-season IS300's was a great start....and then they had to turn around and dump them.
Old 03-24-06, 07:29 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Count me in with the suggestions by 1SICK and others for Lexus to market the Team Orange color on some of their production cars. With the exception of the gorgeous Matador Red, there's too many funeral-home colors on the Lexus palate today.
The Solar Yellow and Absolutely Red on the early and mid-season IS300's was a great start....and then they had to turn around and dump them.
I'm for more color choices for Lexus cars, but for the IS250/350, I don't think the Solar Yellow & Absolutely Red would work well on them. The Matador Red OTOH looks fabulous on the IS250/350.
Old 03-24-06, 07:51 AM
Apex84
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I dont know how this rumor spread, but we at Team Lexus love our colors. We won our championships with those colors and hope to do so again. We are going to re-vamp the color scheme a bit and amke it new again, so don't let the rendering fool you.

As far as switching our colors to match that of the Lexus prototype from Rolex, we cannot do to the fact that we are 'Team Lexus" and not a Target Corporation sponsored team. All the Lexus teams are run idepenantly from one another and do not share the same colors.
Old 03-24-06, 07:57 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Lexus needs to keep a theme with there racing program like Honda/Acura. Honda has red and white in World Touring Car, CART, Formula D drifting. Follow the theme of your Rolex cars Lexus
Old 03-24-06, 07:59 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Gotta agree with Sick - Whatever the team color (and it is always good to stick with an established brand image), it needs to be available to the public. Maybe just on the IS for now, and maybe as a limited edition. Remember how that horrible LeMans 'Vette yellow sold so well among the boy racers a few years ago? Lots of Lexus buyers would like to imitate their standard bearers - even if it is a retina-searing orange! Let's get more of those winning IS's on the street. Brand image, brand image, brand image!
Old 03-24-06, 10:47 AM
Apex84
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes a set color scheme should be available to the public, but do you honestly think someone will purchase a red and white Lexus. Besides with Team Lexus going to ALMS, we are in the higher series. It would make more since for the teams in the lower series to change their schemes according to ours. But of coarse that won't happen either. Like I said before, all the teams our run and managed independently of Lexus. If Lexus ran every team in Rolex, there couldn't be nor would there be any point to run several Lexus teams if they all look the saME. EVEN A VARIATION OF THE COLOR PLACEMENT WOULDN'T HELP BECAUSE THEY WOULD ALL STILL LOOK THE SAME GOING AROUND THE TRACK AT 180 MPH.

By Team Lexus keeping orange as the primary or main color of the car, it establishes a tradmark or signature of the team. By adding other colors to the mix such as blue and white the color placement and layout will look dramatically different that just the solid orange of years past. Team Lexus has had to other colors in its eight history. First the cars were white, then later changed to silver. Realizing that these colors blended in with every other car on the track a major face lift as we'll call it was needed. Hence the orange. With red and yellow, both bright colors, being over used on the track and the street orange still had the same loud and stand out effect.

Yes a color change maybe necessary, but it should involve keeping what has now become the signature color of the team like red is to Dale Earnhart. Adding a complimentary color such as blue will help bring new flare to the new ALMS GT2 IS350's and by possibly adding a little white between the two will ad in stopping the orange and blue from clashing.
Old 03-24-06, 11:33 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Apex84
yes a set color scheme should be available to the public, but do you honestly think someone will purchase a red and white Lexus. Besides with Team Lexus going to ALMS, we are in the higher series. It would make more since for the teams in the lower series to change their schemes according to ours. But of coarse that won't happen either. Like I said before, all the teams our run and managed independently of Lexus. If Lexus ran every team in Rolex, there couldn't be nor would there be any point to run several Lexus teams if they all look the saME. EVEN A VARIATION OF THE COLOR PLACEMENT WOULDN'T HELP BECAUSE THEY WOULD ALL STILL LOOK THE SAME GOING AROUND THE TRACK AT 180 MPH.

By Team Lexus keeping orange as the primary or main color of the car, it establishes a tradmark or signature of the team. By adding other colors to the mix such as blue and white the color placement and layout will look dramatically different that just the solid orange of years past. Team Lexus has had to other colors in its eight history. First the cars were white, then later changed to silver. Realizing that these colors blended in with every other car on the track a major face lift as we'll call it was needed. Hence the orange. With red and yellow, both bright colors, being over used on the track and the street orange still had the same loud and stand out effect.

Yes a color change maybe necessary, but it should involve keeping what has now become the signature color of the team like red is to Dale Earnhart. Adding a complimentary color such as blue will help bring new flare to the new ALMS GT2 IS350's and by possibly adding a little white between the two will ad in stopping the orange and blue from clashing.
What other Luxury brand sell the same color of there race car to the public? BMW doesn't even do that with their MotorSport Division (M series). The Rolex cars have been winning, and are well known more so than those pumpkins. Go with notoriety. Just my 2 cents
Old 03-24-06, 11:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
I'm for more color choices for Lexus cars, but for the IS250/350, I don't think the Solar Yellow & Absolutely Red would work well on them. The Matador Red OTOH looks fabulous on the IS250/350.
You're partly right, Andrew........the Matador Red looks good on ANY car it's painted on. At the D.C. Auto Show I did my best to try and convince the Lexus marketers there to offer it across the board.

I only used the Solar Yellow and Absolutely Red as examples. The point I was making is that I not only agree with 1SICK ( and others ) about the Team Orange colors on production cars but also think that Lexus, like some other luxury-car nameplates, has too many funeral colors. I see no reason why luxury cars all have to be painted like hearsts. Cadillac a few years ago did a bright copper-burnt-orange CTS...just stunning. Caddy also did some bright fire-engine red senior-citizen DeVilles and Fleetwoods back in the 70's.
Old 03-24-06, 04:04 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm torn on this one... Team Lexus has done a good job of making the orange color part of their winning history & heritage; like it or not, people DO recognize it and associate it with Team Lexus.

True, you can't buy an orange Lexus... but that's kind of the point, isn't it? These are race cars after all. They need to be bold and recognizable, and a subtle silver or white doesn't really grab your attention. The color needs to be a bold primary color.

Because the IS is all-new this year, I would suggest an update on the orange color; perhaps a Mica or Pearl added to the color, or even an little bit of a bronze undertone (like what Nissan did with the LeMans Sunset color offered on 350Zs), although I would keep it more towards orange than brown/bronze. If the color had the right shimmer to it, perhaps Lexus would consider offering it on specific model cars as a "2%" color (like Spectra Blue Metallic was).

Then I'd spray the center of the roof or top entire top half of the car blue metallic - maybe the "Carrizmah Blue" that was shown on an IS350 show car recently (the one that had BBS wheels on it) - think how cool this would look if the top half of the car was blue from the character line upwards!

The car should be recognizable as a Team Lexus car, but with a new, fresh look. Make our retinas "pop," guys!!!!! And best fo luck this season!!

-Bob
Old 03-24-06, 04:26 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

I'm not sure I would ever buy an orange Lexus, at least not for any of the models currently in their line-up They have to pick some other less gaudy color if they want to market the team Lexus color . . .
Old 03-25-06, 04:25 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 322 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
Because the IS is all-new this year, I would suggest an update on the orange color; perhaps a Mica or Pearl added to the color, or even an little bit of a bronze undertone (like what Nissan did with the LeMans Sunset color offered on 350Zs), although I would keep it more towards orange than brown/bronze. If the color had the right shimmer to it, perhaps Lexus would consider offering it on specific model cars as a "2%" color (like Spectra Blue Metallic was).

Then I'd spray the center of the roof or top entire top half of the car blue metallic - maybe the "Carrizmah Blue" that was shown on an IS350 show car recently (the one that had BBS wheels on it) - think how cool this would look if the top half of the car was blue from the character line upwards!
-Bob
I second that! Even though I voted on keeping their current colors, on second thought I really like this suggestion by Bob a whole lot better.

I'm not in the market for a new car so it is not relevant to me whether this color combo is offered for sale or not. If I was in the market for a new Lexus, I would wait for the IS coupe (if it ever comes) and would definitely buy it in this color combo.

Quick Reply: Should Team Lexus keep their current colors?