Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Insure.com Reveals Top 10 Least Expensive, Most Expensive Cars & Trucks to Insure

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-06, 03:57 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No...not necessarily the case. Yes, an S-Class costs an arm and a leg for accident repair ( Mercedes parts can be outrageous ) but the REAL costs that many insurance companies have to face are medical and liability for those injured and killed. THERE is where the S-Class really shines...its safety record in accidents is superb. It is arguably the safest mass-production automobile on the planet and, if they are belted up properly, will protect its occupants in a high-speed impact like no other.

Flip ( flipside909 ) .......are you on the channel? Let's hear some of your opinions.....you write up accident claims for a living.
All I know is that I've owned luxury cars and mainstream cars over the years, and luxury cars have always been more expensive to insure.

Edmunds calculates that the insurance premiums for an S-class is about double that of the Camry. That's generally been my experience as well.

Last edited by jrock65; 03-23-06 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-23-06, 10:01 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,633 Posts

Originally Posted by jrock65
All I know is that I've owned luxury cars and mainstream cars over the years, and luxury cars have always been more expensive to insure.

Edmunds calculates that the insurance premiums for an S-class is about double that of the Camry. That's generally been my experience as well.
Yup. Fixing an S-class costs a bundle. Loads of sensors, motors, complex forms, limited volumes...
Old 03-24-06, 03:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Yup. Fixing an S-class costs a bundle. Loads of sensors, motors, complex forms, limited volumes...
Yes, fixing an S-Class usually DOES cost a bundle......but fixing the people inside usually DOESN'T. That was the point I was trying to make.
Old 03-24-06, 01:06 PM
Lexus GS3
Trouble Maker

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by NYLexSC
Why are the Camry, Civic, and Accord expensive to insure Safety issues? or is it just because they all sell so well and need insurance, that they simply can because of the demand?
Because they are the most stolen vehicle in the nation.
Old 03-24-06, 06:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,633 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, fixing an S-Class usually DOES cost a bundle......but fixing the people inside usually DOESN'T. That was the point I was trying to make.
Gotcha. Yes, if I had to be in a collision I'd rather be in a Benz or a Lexus that something cheaper.