Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next Acura NSX Has Ferrari F430 in Its Sights

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-06, 01:07 AM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
After it tries to take on on the track the next thread title will be "Next Acura NSX embarrassed as Ferrari F430 pulls out of Sight".

I just do not see honda pulling this one off, and I really do not see them getting MSRP on it with so many choices on the market.

"Honda" just doesn't roll off the tongue like "Ferrari" when you are sitting around talking about your investments for the past year. I'm sure it is an excellent car, but........ you know.
If Honda does the same thing it did to the 348 and Ferrari had to come out with the 355 to compete I see the next NSX able to compete
Old 03-24-06, 01:11 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 363 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
well everything has a start i guess. back in 1990 you didnt' think the kind of success lexus would have today (compare to the name mb and bmw). i still have hope in honda. seeing the previous nsx still hanging in tight (not to mention blowing the f360 bad), i know they are capable in making a car that's easily over the f430.

however, of course, how honda/acura markets the car that's another story. to me it's almost like how lexus is going to sell their lf-a when it's here (that car is supposed to compete with ferrari as well)
I own three Lexus, a Lexus aftermarket company, and moderate a Lexus website... Fanboy? Might as well be...... drop $150K+ on an LF-A over a Ferrari? Likely not. Just like the NSX.... dependable and potent, but the badge isn't worth 150k, sadly enough... give it time though

IMO the Lexus badge tops out at 90k currently. Interesting way to watch the company also, rate the badge worth.
Old 03-24-06, 08:23 AM
saleem
Pole Position

I own three Lexus, a Lexus aftermarket company, and moderate a Lexus website... Fanboy? Might as well be...... drop $150K+ on an LF-A over a Ferrari? Likely not. Just like the NSX.... dependable and potent, but the badge isn't worth 150k, sadly enough... give it time though

IMO the Lexus badge tops out at 90k currently. Interesting way to watch the company also, rate the badge worth.
You my friend are a traitor. I would rather have a japanese supercar that I can depend on than to have the prancing horse that has to be serviced almost after every single time you drive it.
Old 03-24-06, 08:26 AM
saleem
Pole Position

Japanese have proven many times in the past they can build sports cars to challenge the best. Now I believe is the time for them to "take it up a notch" and set the standard. I would NOT underestimate Toyota and Honda. They can happily take my money for a supercar any day if I had a 150k to splurge . Currently I only have 7k to spend on a car and that money frankly is gonna go towards a 99 miata thats in my sights.

Last edited by saleem; 03-24-06 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-24-06, 08:29 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree completly, the acrua name hasnt built high enough to demand a price like that. good point
Old 03-24-06, 08:39 AM
LexFather

I am sure the next NSX will be a superb car but people didn't buy the last one no matter badged a Honda or Acura and people don't buy $50,000 Honda Legends/Acura Rls and that is not going to change anytime soon.

And whereas the LAST NSX was sold for 15 years no matter what sales were and what the loss was (I started a thread with info showing they lost I think 800 million with this car) I SERIOUSLY DOUBT Honda is going to let the next NSX NOT be a money maker.

It will be an incredible showcase of Japanese technology but if its priced over 100k, please give me
997 911 Turbo
997 GT2
997 GT3
Aston Martin V-8 Vantage
Lamborghini Gallardo
360 Challenge Stradale
F430

I want everything for 100k. I don't want to argue with you over how my car can beat your car by 3 seconds on a damn track we don't even drive on.

I want to ARRIVE. The emblems above do that for me.

Old 03-24-06, 09:14 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I am sure the next NSX will be a superb car but people didn't buy the last one no matter badged a Honda or Acura and people don't buy $50,000 Honda Legends/Acura Rls and that is not going to change anytime soon.

And whereas the LAST NSX was sold for 15 years no matter what sales were and what the loss was (I started a thread with info showing they lost I think 800 million with this car) I SERIOUSLY DOUBT Honda is going to let the next NSX NOT be a money maker.

It will be an incredible showcase of Japanese technology but if its priced over 100k, please give me
997 911 Turbo
997 GT2
997 GT3
Aston Martin V-8 Vantage
Lamborghini Gallardo
360 Challenge Stradale
F430

I want everything for 100k. I don't want to argue with you over how my car can beat your car by 3 seconds on a damn track we don't even drive on.

Hard to look stunting pulling up in an acura huu not that much lbling bling in the acura name
Old 03-24-06, 09:53 AM
saleem
Pole Position

Might aswell chrome out your murcielagos and ferraris while you guys are at it
Old 03-24-06, 10:49 AM
LexFather

Your missing the point. The point is at 100k, prestige and brand comes into play even more so than at 50k. Its not about bling. Its about the fact Porsche, Ferrari etc speak for themselves. The NSX could beat the ENZO and it wouldn't have the panache of those brands.

Look at AUDI, fabulous cars, they can't sell the A8 in America to save their lives and its on par if not better than the 7 and S. The IMAGE of the brand prevents buyers from buying.

Lexus may very well encounter this same problem if the GT 450/500 comes.

Old 03-24-06, 11:15 AM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

997 911 Turbo
997 GT2
997 GT3
Aston Martin V-8 Vantage
Lamborghini Gallardo
360 Challenge Stradale
F430

When the NSX first came out, it sold very well, it was selling over MSRP that Acura just made the price at 90k and the reason the sales died off was because the lack of model change and significant update
Old 03-24-06, 11:20 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Yup, I think I still remember there were huge wait lists for the NSX when it first came out in the early nineties . . .
Old 03-24-06, 11:37 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Some of the very fist NSX's were selling at near 2X MSRP. The sticker on my 92 was about $65K when the prices finally came down from lala land, but the first 91s were selling for over $100K and some reports as much as $120K. The lack of updates is what hurt the NSX sales numbers not the car itself. If the 290 HP engine and 6-Speed came out in 1993 or 1994 like when the 6-Speed came out in the Legend, that would have been a timely upgrade. Then in 1997 upgrade the engine again and to 2002 style. Fast forward to 2002 there should have been a 350+ HP engine with more styling upgrades. If they did that the NSX would have sold. One of the main complaints from critics about the NSX since about the mid 90s was its lack of power compared to the competition. The 97 upgrades helped, but it was already too little too late. IMHO, there wasn't a worthy mid engine exotic car you can buy for for under $100K other than the NSX until the Porsche Cayman came out. People need to realize that the mid engine design has a lot to do with why owners buy the NSX. If they wanted a rear engine they get the Porche. The Ferrari 360/430 cost 2X as much as the NSX. Yes, If I could afford the F430 I personally would buy it. But a $100K car is not in the same league as a $250K+ car. That is a huge price difference even for those that can afford a $100K car.
Old 03-24-06, 11:59 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
Yup, I think I still remember there were huge wait lists for the NSX when it first came out in the early nineties . . .
Most exotics are like this, the first year or two or production, there are wait lists and huge demand. So I am not impressed

I personally don't think the NSX was TOO outdated. As much of a Porsche lover I am, its total German BIAS that the 911 can go 30 years with basically the same body, interior and just upgrades and its considered GOD yet the NSX did the same thing basically and its considered overpriced and outdated.

It all goes back to IMAGE and PRESTIGE. If they had it, 15 year old NSX would sell like hotcakes.

Look at Lotus with the Espirit. That car is basically 30 years old!!!!

The NSX-R won Car of the YEAR as recently as 2002 in EVO.

The NSX more than anything, IMO, OPENED THE COMPETITONS EYES UP!! Here was a Japanese car that was whooping their unreliable behinds for less. And what did the Germans and Italians do? Respond with POWER and more POWER, the one thing the NSX does not have an abundance of.

Its odd but if there was no NSX, Exotics today might be not as good as they are now. The NSX made them WAKE UP!

Old 03-24-06, 12:37 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I don't think they will have any problem with matching the Ferrari's handling. As the G1 NSX aged, many caught up to its handling and passed it, but it is still no dog and is among the best handling cars in the world still. This is late 80s Honda technology. What they need to do it skip those front engine prototypes and just bring out the mid engine car already Keep the front engine for the S2000 and proposed new Acura coupe. If they go front engine GT, I know I'll just stick to the G1 NSX.
my friend.... the Ferrari's handling is nothing to boast about too much......

now Porshe.... that a whole different story!
Old 03-24-06, 02:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by UptownGS
my friend.... the Ferrari's handling is nothing to boast about too much......

now Porshe.... that a whole different story!
yup, true. talk about exotics and lambo / porsche they are pretty ahead of ferrar in performance i say

Quick Reply: Next Acura NSX Has Ferrari F430 in Its Sights