Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota's Fuji Speedway to host F1

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-06, 01:21 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Toyota's Fuji Speedway to host F1

Now if only Toyota could actually get a podium finish or two...

http://www.formula1.com/news/4151.html

Japanese Grand Prix moves to Fuji
24 March 2006

James Hunt (GBR) McLaren M23 overcame the terrible race conditions and a puncture late in the race to take third position and the four points necessary to take his first and only World Championship title. Japanese Grand Prix, Rd 16, Fuji, Japan, 24 October 1976. World © Phipps/Sutton Fuji Speedway near Tokyo is set to host the 2007 Japanese Grand Prix, owners Toyota announced on Friday. The venue, which is due to take over from current hosts Suzuka, staged the very first Japanese race back in 1976.

"We have the pleasure that Fuji Speedway, as the brand new venue nestled at the foot of the most majestic Mount Fuji, will be the new home of the Japanese F1 Grand Prix,” said Bernie Ecclestone of the announcement. “We also have a good expectation that the F1 event there would be the opening of new era of Formula One history."

Fuji was opened in 1966 and quickly became the stage for numerous international and domestic races. It hosted the inaugural Japanese Grand Prix in 1976 when Britain’s James Hunt finished third in heavy rain to clinch that year’s drivers’ title. He then won the last Formula One race at Fuji the following year.

A complete renovation of the circuit and its facilities was completed in 2005, with the revisions earning Fuji a Grade 1 license from the FIA, giving it once more the right to hold Formula One events.

Exact details of the 2007 Japanese Grand Prix will be confirmed later this year when the FIA issues the official race calendar for next season.
Old 03-24-06, 01:34 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I second that, now that its at their home-track, Toyota needs some podium finishes... preferably at least 1 first place.... is that too much to ask for?!

It'd also be neat for them to change the team name to Lexus... it'd give the upcoming LFA and future models some more street-cred.
Old 03-24-06, 02:39 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Faraaz23
I second that, now that its at their home-track, Toyota needs some podium finishes... preferably at least 1 first place.... is that too much to ask for?!

It'd also be neat for them to change the team name to Lexus... it'd give the upcoming LFA and future models some more street-cred.
considering TTE runs Toyota's F1 program, from Germany, not much of an home-track... :-)
Old 03-24-06, 03:03 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Faraaz23

The ducks are lining up in a row. All we need is the podium finish for the Lexus GT 500/450 to be made

Old 03-24-06, 03:25 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The ducks are lining up in a row. All we need is the podium finish for the Lexus GT 500/450 to be made
That's exactly what I was thinking when I read the title of this post!

All the rumors are looking to be true for the LF-A, we just need a win to kick things off.
Old 03-24-06, 03:51 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

hm, is podium finish an requirement or actual win? Toyota had podiums in 2005 season....
Old 03-24-06, 03:57 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
hm, is podium finish an requirement or actual win? Toyota had podiums in 2005 season....
I think Lexus said before that they were holding off the LF-A until a win in F1. Things aren't looking good so far this year.
Old 03-24-06, 04:10 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I'm quite sad that a great track with so much history is being left behind for this move. Perhaps a Pacific GP can make a comeback but I, for one, will miss tracks like the old Hockenheim, Spa (it will be back sure...) and now Suzuka.

Heck with global warming we probably won't even be privy to beautiful shots of a snow-capped Mt. Fuji.
Old 03-24-06, 05:19 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
I think Lexus said before that they were holding off the LF-A until a win in F1. Things aren't looking good so far this year.
they are mid pack so far... 1st race was horrible, 2nd race was ok performance wise, just a bit unluckly... Once they solve all the new tire issues, they might have an chance to at least get few podiums. Until they really make tires work great, we wont know how good can they be. Keep in mind that in 2nd race, only renaults had a lot better lap time than ralf. Really big improvement over bahrein, where they picked wrong tires and were the slowest team on the track...