Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura to debut new MDX at NYIAS(updated pg.10)

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-06, 12:57 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Name ONE OTHER SUV with a turbo engine outside the Cayenne Turbo
Mazda CX-7. 2.3L I4 turbo of fury

I don't understand why they turbo a SUV that makes almost as much power as their sports car S2000 with more torque. I also don't understand why they turbo a SUV but will the TSX with lethargic power.
I dont think there is anything wrong with having an SUV with as much power as their sports car.

The same philosophy will work on porsche too:
As mentioned, the Porsche Cayenne Turbo S makes 520hp, thats about 40 more compared to their sports car, the 911 turbo (480bhp) and even more torque to boot. They'll turbo the SUV, but will let the Boxter S slide with just 280hp. Wouldn't it make sense for Porsche to have more power in their 911 turbo, after all it is a sports car?

There is nothing wrong with an I4 turbo in a small SUV. Now if they were to stuff that engine in the next MDX, then there is something wrong. In this case, it's just a small SUV and nothing lexus offers competes with it. If they are going to use the CRV platform for the RD-X, then I'm sure Honda's J-series engine wouldn't fit in there without some major adjustments, hence why the more compact I4.
Old 03-29-06, 01:05 PM
GSteg
Rookie

People criticize how Honda is going down the dumps because they are not sticking to NA. When Honda stuck their hands in the market with a bunch of NA engines, majority of the people complained about the lack of low end torque. Now Honda has offered a way to increase power throughout the revband, plus have some good efficiency, yet people still complaining and wanting Honda to go back to NA. So what is it? Either route Honda takes, the same people will complain.

What do we expect Honda to do? Build a 2.4L I4 that makes 250hp and 250ftlb through NA? Lets get real here. It's not easy as putting a V6 in. If the chassis is not big enough to house the engine, then what's the point? My mom's Honda Odyssey already has the 3.5L V6 and it looks cramped in the engine bay. Most J-series are about the same size. If anyone has ever looked at the CRV's engine bay, and the J-series from Honda, I'm sure you know it's not going to be the most compact thing on earth.
Old 03-29-06, 03:29 PM
LexFather

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=208649

For goodness sakes, even Mitusbishi has a V-6 in its Highlander now. Don't give me "they can't fit it". Their engineers are smart, they could figure it out.

So your "Acura" will have an I-4 turbo or not and your friends Misubishi, Hyundai, Toyota, etc will have a V-6.

The only reason its not as big a deal as the mistake of no V-8 in the RL is the price point.

U don't think its kinda
that a luxury brand has not 1, not 2 but now 3 4 cylinder vehicles?

On the other end, Lexus engines are getting bigger, and now offer hybrid power.
Benz and BMW are more powerful than ever
Audi is more powerful than ever

If I want a I-4, Corolla here I come. Not my luxury car.

Old 03-29-06, 03:57 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mercedes Benz, BMW, and Audi have a lot of 4-cylinder models. They just don't sell them in the US as consumers here have a mindset that "luxury" vehicle should have an engine more than 4 cylinders. People here are horsepower and cylinder "figure" hungry

Can Honda put a 6-cylinder engine in that upcoming RDX? Probably. Do they have such an engine in their stable? Sure. Why don't they do it? My first guess is that for a vehicle that size with a FWD-based derived AWD powertrain, putting a V6 engine in the engine bay may put too much weight to the front, which will affect the weight distribution of the car. Honda may not have the most powerful vehicle in the classes, but they sure have some of the better handling cars compare to their competitors. By keeping the weight and weight distribution in check, the RDX may be a small SUV with exceptional handling. With a fast-spooling turbo in place, the car may just pull as hard as the V6 engine.

My second guess is, if they are putting the same V6 engine to the RDX, it may eat up some potential sales of the bigger brother MDX, as the RDX will accelerate quicker than the MDX with the same engine
Old 03-29-06, 04:37 PM
GSteg
Rookie

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=208649

For goodness sakes, even Mitusbishi has a V-6 in its Highlander now. Don't give me "they can't fit it". Their engineers are smart, they could figure it out.

So your "Acura" will have an I-4 turbo or not and your friends Misubishi, Hyundai, Toyota, etc will have a V-6.
The mitsubishi is able to fit in a V6 nicely because it's big enough. It's practically the same size as the new highlander that sports the 3.5L V6. The RDX on the other hand, will probably not be build as big as the highlander, and even so, Honda does not want to compromise handling. Honda tries to balance things out, not give in into one specific criteria.

Likewise, Honda themselves stated they do not want to be "traditional," hence why they refuse to build a box on frame truck and such. Honda always ventures out to experiement with new things. Quite frankly, the RDX will probably be more fun to drive than the rest of Toyota's SUV lineup.

Yes they can probably fit a J35 in the engine bay, you're still not going to have the kinda of headroom space you'll need. It's not economical for Honda to throw in a big V6 in a small SUV. That throws off weight distribution and could affect gas mileage as the engine is bigger. I'm sure Toyota could have fit their tundra's 4.7L V8 into the avalon and call it quits, but it wouldn't be a wise move for Toyota would it?

U don't think its kinda
that a luxury brand has not 1, not 2 but now 3 4 cylinder vehicles?
As mentioned, Mercedes, BMW, Audi, and probably most of the luxury brands have their I4s. Just because "Lexus" does not offer an I4, and believes a "luxury" car shouldn't have less than 6 cylinders, doesn't mean they are correct.

In your eyes, a luxury brand with 4 cylinders is wrong

In my eyes, a truck (tacoma) with 4 cylinders is wrong.

Who's right and who's wrong?
Old 03-29-06, 05:04 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by GSteg
The mitsubishi is able to fit in a V6 nicely because it's big enough. It's practically the same size as the new highlander that sports the 3.5L V6. The RDX on the other hand, will probably not be build as big as the highlander, and even so, Honda does not want to compromise handling. Honda tries to balance things out, not give in into one specific criteria.

Likewise, Honda themselves stated they do not want to be "traditional," hence why they refuse to build a box on frame truck and such. Honda always ventures out to experiement with new things. Quite frankly, the RDX will probably be more fun to drive than the rest of Toyota's SUV lineup.

Yes they can probably fit a J35 in the engine bay, you're still not going to have the kinda of headroom space you'll need. It's not economical for Honda to throw in a big V6 in a small SUV. That throws off weight distribution and could affect gas mileage as the engine is bigger. I'm sure Toyota could have fit their tundra's 4.7L V8 into the avalon and call it quits, but it wouldn't be a wise move for Toyota would it?

As mentioned, Mercedes, BMW, Audi, and probably most of the luxury brands have their I4s. Just because "Lexus" does not offer an I4, and believes a "luxury" car shouldn't have less than 6 cylinders, doesn't mean they are correct.

In your eyes, a luxury brand with 4 cylinders is wrong

In my eyes, a truck (tacoma) with 4 cylinders is wrong.

Who's right and who's wrong?
In the history of nearly 20,000 posts I have been wrong 3 times

Old 03-29-06, 05:06 PM
CallmeDoc
Driver

I can't believe that people are against Acura/Honda going turbo. Everyone knows that Turbo + VTEC (ie. Turbo RSX-S) is a magic combo. I smell a TSX and a TSX Coupe with some ***** comming soon........
Old 03-29-06, 05:59 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Mitsubishi Highlander

For goodness sakes, even Mitusbishi has a V-6 in its Highlander now.
I assume that U mean Outlander
Old 03-29-06, 09:14 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by GS69
I assume that U mean Outlander
Damnit, that means I've been wrong 4 times.

Old 03-30-06, 07:31 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts
Default Acura MDX Spied . . .

A new photo has emerged online purportedly of the 2007 Acura MDX. The car pictured appears quite similar to the teaser sketches released by Honda of the forthcoming Acura MDX Concept. The car is expected to be shown at the New York Auto Show in April.

source : leftlanenews
Old 03-30-06, 07:53 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 317 Likes on 230 Posts

Is it that thing that looks like a Honda Odyssey?
Old 03-30-06, 09:25 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

Some people believe luxury cars should not have less than 6 cylinder engines, even though those engines only making pathetic 168-210 hp just not too long ago while some other I4 were making at least that or more. It's all boil down to hp & torque and doesn't matter where it comes from.

The # of cylinders do not dictate whether a car is luxury or not... BTW, IMHO, I don't think Acura is a true luxury brand. Not because of the I4 or lacking of the V8 but because of the overall package.
Old 03-30-06, 07:36 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mhc0725
It's the giving in to the 'enthusiasts' that make a brand fail. Enthusiasts are out there no doubt about it, but they're not the bread-and-butter customers that a world class automaker like Honda, needs to entertain. Honda needs to make better vehicles with more real luxury items (if you're going to put wood trim, use real wood, not faux wood) in their vehicles. Acura may have been the first to market, but Lexus is currently first in market, and if Acura doesn't start making strides to improve their products and play with the big boys, in another twenty years they may be first to be out of market.
What????

Could we not argue that Toyota owners are enthusiasts as well? Maybe they are enthusiastic about cars that don't break down?

Why do people have trouble with Honda/Acura not wanting to be #1? Where is this wood comment coming from? As far as I know, the wood in our MDX is the same as the wood in our old RX and GS - it is a darker color but as far as I know it could be real or plastic - in either car!

Your comment about Honda needing to make "better" vehicles does not fly in my book. Their sales are increasing and they tend to be #1 in both enthusiast mags and Consumer Reports.
Old 03-30-06, 08:42 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Yup. Honda/Acura is definitely improving. Take a look at where they are now and where they were in the late 90s.
Old 03-30-06, 09:19 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,411 Likes on 1,581 Posts

A Porsche 944 was developed 2 decades ago with a large displacement 4 cylinder engine with or without turbo. This car is FAST.
A 911 has a pretty large displacement (3.6 or 3.8L) 6 cylinder engine with or without turbo, and not an 8 cylinder. It's SMOKING FAST.

Ok so both those vehicles are sports cars and not SUVs, but the point is there's many feasible engine configurations.

Saab and Volvo have had turbo engines for decades which deliver great performance with high reliability.

Let's see how this turbo I4 plays out before trashing the idea.

Quick Reply: Acura to debut new MDX at NYIAS(updated pg.10)