Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is Camry's shelf life running down?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-06, 08:33 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
I think most people out there are after practical, reliable, cost-effective transportation that will not let them down and not leave them with huge repair bills out of warranty, and Toyota by far has the best reputation of doing that. They might not be the most exciting cars, but to most Americans out there that are struggling to pay bills, support kids, and pay a mortgage, it comes down to a good practical car just like the Camry.
As much as I agree with you, I also agree with Edmunds when the ask if the extra $6k premium above the other three cars are worth it. If people want practical, reliable, cost-effective transportation that will not let them down and not leave them with huge repair bills out of warranty, then the Toyota Camry is not the choice of the bunch.

I leads in everything but low price. And when it comes to the bottom line ($$), some people may stray into a Hyundai to save $100 a month in car payments.

Last edited by PhilipMSPT; 03-28-06 at 09:19 PM.
Old 03-28-06, 09:10 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Accord EX V6 Navi: $29,850
Camry XLE V6 Navi: $30,840

If you want to talk about a $6k difference, you can't include the Accord in that also. The Accord and Camry have always been priced very closely to each other when similarly equipped.
Old 03-28-06, 09:22 PM
LexFather

Honestly, if I wasn't a Lexus owner for sometime now and was shopping for a goodsize car, the Camry would be high on the list. Its like a mini-Lexus now, like how the Avalon and Sienna are like mini-Lexus.

Old 03-29-06, 12:27 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
Accord EX V6 Navi: $29,850
Camry XLE V6 Navi: $30,840

If you want to talk about a $6k difference, you can't include the Accord in that also. The Accord and Camry have always been priced very closely to each other when similarly equipped.
And Sonata isnt anywhere equipped close to Camry. Its forbidable competition that doesnt stand a chance.
New Camry is improved in every possible way and yet priced same or below previous model. Only exception is XLE, but it has a lot of equippment...
Old 03-29-06, 03:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverLady
I don't know the stats, but my 318V8 (great acceleration if it ever went) gave me incredible problems. To be fair, it was probably the electronic ignition system that started the problems and the fuel delivery system just made it worse. .
That was the electronics, not the engine itself. Chrysler at that time made durable engines with lousy electronics.....somewhat like Mercedes today.