Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Wrecked Ferrari Owner (Stefan Ericksson) Is Minus His Second Car (SLR)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-06, 06:02 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Wrecked Ferrari Owner (Stefan Ericksson) Is Minus His Second Car (SLR)

Stefan Eriksson's priceless Enzo was totaled in a crash last month. On Sunday, his very pricey Mercedes was impounded.

By David Pierson and Richard Winton, Times Staff Writers
March 28, 2006

Stefan Eriksson's famous exotic car collection keeps shrinking.

First, the former European videogame executive's rare Enzo Ferrari was destroyed in a mysterious crash Feb. 21 on Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu.

Then, on Sunday, he lost his 2005 Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren, valued at more than $400,000. Beverly Hills police confiscated the vehicle after Scotland Yard said the car might have been stolen.

Police in Beverly Hills stopped Nicole Persson, 33, Sunday afternoon after she was spotted driving this Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren with a European license plate.
(Spyder Dobrofsky)

The officers stopped Eriksson's wife, Nicole Persson, 33, about 2:30 p.m. on the corner of Beverly Drive and Wilshire Boulevard because an officer found the car's European license plate suspicious.

The officer then discovered that Persson lacked a driver's license and that the car was not registered in the United States.

Persson is the wife of Stefan Eriksson, a former European videogame executive whose Ferrari was totaled last month.

"We contacted Scotland Yard and subsequently learned that the car was perhaps stolen" out of the United Kingdom, Lt. Mitch McCann said.

The entire incident was caught on tape by a 13-year-old exotic car buff who has filmed Eriksson's vehicles in the past.

Beverly Hills authorities said they didn't have details of the British police case.

But Los Angeles County Sheriff's Sgt. Phil Brooks said that an unidentified financial institution says it owns the Mercedes and that a financial institution in Scotland says it was the owner of the Enzo.

This leaves Eriksson with only one of the three exotic cars he imported to the United States late last year, Brooks said.

"He brought in through San Diego two Ferraris and the Mercedes and said they were show cars and that he was not going to drive them on the streets," Brooks said.

Last month's crash prompted both an accident investigation and a probe by the Sheriff's Department's Homeland Security Division.

Although no one was injured in the crash, the investigation has generated significant attention because of the strange circumstances and the fact that it destroyed one of only 400 Enzo Ferraris ever built.

Eriksson, who lives in a gated Bel-Air estate, told deputies who arrived at the scene that he was not the driver and that another man, named Dietrich, had been behind the wheel.

Eriksson said Dietrich fled the scene.

But detectives said they were skeptical of his version of events.

Investigators have taken a swab of Eriksson's saliva to match his DNA against blood found on the Ferrari's driver's-side air bag.

Eriksson also told deputies that he was a deputy commissioner of the police department of a tiny transit agency in the San Gabriel Valley.

A few minutes after the crash, two men arrived at the crash scene, identified themselves as homeland security officers and spoke to Eriksson at length before leaving.

According to Car & Driver magazine, the Mercedes SLR McLaren is capable to going 200 mph and can go from 0 to 60 mph in 3.8 seconds.

The car didn't just capture the eye of Beverly Hills police.

Spyder Dobrofsky, a 13-year-old car enthusiast, happened to be at the scene of Sunday's traffic stop and switched on his camera.

The teenager has photographed cars in Eriksson's collection before and knew immediately that the McLaren was his.

"The car really stands out because of the British plate," Spyder said.

Spyder said Eriksson's wife was with a young child when she was pulled over.

On the tape, Spyder asks the tow truck operator called to remove the Mercedes where he's taking it.

The man jokes: "To my house."

source : latimes
Old 03-28-06, 06:18 PM
tuddy
Negative Nancy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

is it that big of a deal? i bet if the cars werent so high end it probably wouldnt be
Old 03-28-06, 06:25 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice, Eriksson bankrupts toy company Tiger Telematics and crashes 1 of 400 Enzo’s in the entire world. Now we find out the Enzo and the SLR he has here in the states aren’t even his?!?

I’m sure his wife must have loved that traffic stop. She looks like she’s used to living the life of luxury. But the way Eriksson is going, she better get used to things being taken away from her.
Old 03-28-06, 06:55 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

boy, sounds like some fishy things are going on with this guy....
Old 03-28-06, 07:25 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

WOW...seems like he was getting away with some stuff. I am sure there is a lot more to this story than a crashed Enzo and some stolen cars. Oh the scandals.

Whats that saying...behind every great fortune there is a crime.
Old 03-28-06, 09:11 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What is this guy hiding? Does he choose cars by highest pricetag? As a car fanatic, he probably also owns the frozen body of Henry Ford! GEEZ!
Old 03-28-06, 10:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

so, what's the last of the 3 exotic that he owns now?

anyway, how come all these cars are stolen.... it's so funny
Old 03-29-06, 01:17 AM
EmRos
Rookie

This story just keeps getting better.
Old 03-29-06, 06:39 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL, he should hope his veyron arives early or he will have no car to drive around in.
Old 03-29-06, 06:46 AM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

Originally Posted by holaback
I find it funny how people are making such a big deal about this. They are only cars! it's not gonnna effect anyones life in anyway. Sure they are expensive cars but I don't see why it should be such a big deal.
It's not really about that. Car's like the Enzo are moving peices of art, not just in how they are designed but how they preform as well. When someone is careless and wrecked that peice of art, its gone forever.

Last edited by BigVIPness; 03-29-06 at 11:27 AM.
Old 03-29-06, 10:43 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Apparently he also has a yacht that he owes money on... the creditor is looking to repo it (if they can find it).

I wonder if the guy is even here in the US legally. Seems like everything about him is fishy.
Old 03-29-06, 12:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
Apparently he also has a yacht that he owes money on... the creditor is looking to repo it (if they can find it).

I wonder if the guy is even here in the US legally. Seems like everything about him is fishy.
hahahha good point bob, i wonder about his legal stay too

this story really gets better and better
Old 03-29-06, 01:05 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Overclocker
Nice, Eriksson bankrupts toy company Tiger Telematics and crashes 1 of 400 Enzo’s in the entire world. Now we find out the Enzo and the SLR he has here in the states aren’t even his?!?

I’m sure his wife must have loved that traffic stop. She looks like she’s used to living the life of luxury. But the way Eriksson is going, she better get used to things being taken away from her.
He's wealthy, he's not even American. This guy is untouchable. He won't spend 1 day in jail, although I have a feeling a gentleman named Enzo will be waiting for him at the gates of Heaven...

He'll just jump on his yacht and sail to another country, and repeat. If you have the money, the means, and the desire its amazing what you can get away with.
Old 03-29-06, 02:33 PM
ted920
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quite frankly, for a guy as wealthy as Ericsson seems to be he should be doing much much much better in the female department than the lady in the photo.

I was out in LA recently and all I can say is there are a lot of ultra hot blonde 6 Foot chesty bimbos out there. He should be able to get one pretty easily.

T
Old 03-29-06, 03:24 PM
jwa
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ted920
Quite frankly, for a guy as wealthy as Ericsson seems to be he should be doing much much much better in the female department than the lady in the photo.

I was out in LA recently and all I can say is there are a lot of ultra hot blonde 6 Foot chesty bimbos out there. He should be able to get one pretty easily.

T
You are of course assuming he doesn't have one or more of the above mentioned bimbos on the side. Maybe he prefers not to let them drive the SLR.

As to the allegedly stolen car, is it SOP in California to impound cars that "may have been stolen," or do you need some evidence? This appears to be more of a repo for missed payments than a criminal theft. Ericsson will probably tidy-up the finances and have the car back in a few days.

Quick Reply: Wrecked Ferrari Owner (Stefan Ericksson) Is Minus His Second Car (SLR)