Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1SICKREVIEW (act II) Lexus IS 250 (update April 08)

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-06, 10:39 AM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
So what's the chance of it being your next Lexus
Zero I think 1Sick is waiting for that New gs 460
Old 03-30-06, 10:58 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Thick, smaller diameter than usual. (some girls like it that way)
How can you be thick and of a smaller diameter at the same time? Doesn't make sense to me.

Seriously, I agree that the IS250 is all that most people need. Low hp is not an issue for most as long as the torque band is wide and available at low RPMs. Thanks for the great review.
Old 03-30-06, 02:23 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
How can you be thick and of a smaller diameter at the same time? Doesn't make sense to me.

Seriously, I agree that the IS250 is all that most people need. Low hp is not an issue for most as long as the torque band is wide and available at low RPMs. Thanks for the great review.
The diameter is thinnner of the wheel, but the actual wheel you grab is thicker. Hope this helps.

Its a loaner, I doubt there will be manual loaner. As one that has driven every manual Lexus offered, Lexus manuals leave much to be desired, quite frankly.

Old 03-30-06, 02:30 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

The diameter is thinnner of the wheel, but the actual wheel you grab is thicker. Hope this helps.
Haha I was just joking you know.
Old 03-30-06, 03:37 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Luxury
9 outta 10.
I know what your thinking. A 9? Let me tell you from slamming the door to the feel of the leather to the *****, this feels like its built out of granite. And it should being based off the GS. YOU do feel the HEFT of this car and it FEELS luxurious. The gauges probably cost more than Nissan spends on all their interiors. Details galore. LEDs, outlets here and there, the airbags are well concealed, the fit and finish was SUPERB. For the ENTRY LEVEL Lexus, this is a $31,000 car, they don't come much better built than this. It makes you FEEL worth the money. The Stock stereo does SUCK to me, better than most but subpar to me. The older Lexus stock systems were better to me. No wood inside, the aluminum, looked good. Teh Doors are sculpted nicely, I mean people put some damn THOUGHT into this car. The rear is cramped as I sat in the back when I had my sister drive but this is a small car (180" long). Front seat room is ABUNDANT. I am
6"5 220. True, there is no room behind me when I sit in front but who cares. TONS of legroom and headroom
Great point you bring up. I hate how everyone gangs up on the IS over the lack of rear space compared to the 3 series. This is nonesense, cars like this aren't made for rear space, they are suposed to be drivers cars, and the IS has much more space for the driver compared to the 3 series. I'm 6'4 and I simply cant fit into the 3 series comfortably.
Old 03-30-06, 07:12 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Great point you bring up. I hate how everyone gangs up on the IS over the lack of rear space compared to the 3 series. This is nonesense, cars like this aren't made for rear space, they are suposed to be drivers cars, and the IS has much more space for the driver compared to the 3 series. I'm 6'4 and I simply cant fit into the 3 series comfortably.
Och, let it go. The 3 series has more room than the IS - it is a fact. You hate the car and we all know it. Let's move on here.
Old 03-30-06, 08:08 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,487 Likes on 1,633 Posts

1Sick - fun review as always.

I *really* like the new IS. Like you I'm tall with long legs, and the seated driving position and steering wheel feel is just awesome. I know the one you drove didn't have nav, but the latest nav on the new IS is just incredible and makes the interior look really great. And IMHO it integrates better than the out of place aluminum trim on the 3GS, the strange "loop" shaped center stack on the new ES or even the busy new trapezoidal LS460 stack.

When the 2GS came out it was hugely different than the LS400. When the 3GS came out I thought why bother getting it instead of an LS430 (except for cost).

The 1IS was unique, a little cheesy on the interior, but PERFECTLY accomplished Lexus' goal of appealing to a younger market. The 2IS is a PERFECT evolution - it's faster, more luxurious, better looking (IMHO, which wasn't easy because the 1IS has AWESOME PROPORTIONS), comes in more flavors, and still a BARGAIN for the overall package.

Sure the rear seats aren't roomy, but the occasional time I take 4 people, ok I get to be scrunched in the driver's seat for a bit - it's not like I take 4 people long distances, ever.

I'd take a loaded IS350 over a GS300/350 every time.
Old 03-30-06, 09:55 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

I test drove an IS250RWD before I bought my GS300 and was amazed at the
handling as well. It was like it was stuck to the ground on rails
It was also surprisingly peppy for a 2.5L engine. I'd say they achieved what
they wanted with this car, since I see a lot more young people when I go to
the dealership.

The only thing that got me to go GS was the backseat. And yes, the new 3
series has a much more comfortable backseat. I can admit to that despite
being a Lexus fanboy
Old 03-30-06, 10:21 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
Och, let it go. The 3 series has more room than the IS - it is a fact. You hate the car and we all know it. Let's move on here.
In the front? Hell no!
Old 03-31-06, 08:28 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Had to take my car in for some work and I just happened to pick up an IS250 loaner today. I got to drive one before at the Taste of Lexus events but there is nothing like being able to drive one over your usual haunts, so to speak.

Initial comments:

1) Understeers more than I expected
2) Auto transmission seems to get confused and hunt more than 2GS auto
3) Brakes have quite a decent feel. Not great but pretty good
4) Stock stereo is unimpressive
5) Interior is very nice overall with just a couple of plastics that look cheaper than expected.
6) It's nice an quiet.

Overall: A very nice package for the $$$
Old 03-31-06, 10:25 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
. This is nonesense, cars like this aren't made for rear space, they are suposed to be drivers cars
I would have agreed if the IS was a coupe, but it is a 4 door sedan. If rear space wasn't a concern Lexus should have never put the extra 2 doors on the car.
Old 03-31-06, 10:56 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
In the front? Hell no!
With the exception of front leg room, the 3series is bigger for headroom and shoulder room.
Old 03-31-06, 01:43 PM
LexFather

Yes the backseat is small. I hope to God no one in this class of cars seriously considers backseat room a priority. These are small entry level sport sedans.

You don't buy a 3 b/c the backseat is better than the IS. I hope not. You buy it b/c it is a slightly more engaging drive and more prestigous.

These are not family cars. Seeing as the IS is one of the top 10 selling cars in day on a dealers lot, it looks like Lexus got it right.

Old 03-31-06, 02:09 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes the backseat is small. I hope to God no one in this class of cars seriously considers backseat room a priority. These are small entry level sport sedans.

You don't buy a 3 b/c the backseat is better than the IS. I hope not. You buy it b/c it is a slightly more engaging drive and more prestigous.

These are not family cars. Seeing as the IS is one of the top 10 selling cars in day on a dealers lot, it looks like Lexus got it right.
Mike, priorities change. When I was single I couldn't give a rats behind about the rear seat, thus why I always prefered coupes. Now that I have a son, I have to stuff him back there and a lot of other family and baby things. The desire for sports cars and fun hasn't faded, but practicality has come about as well. There are two things that swayed my away from IS350 consideration and toward the e90. 1st was the back seat room. 2nd was the fact that in Hawaii we can't get the LCD screen and being that I'm still into modding cars I definately need the LCD screen so I can incorporate the aftermarket video system. I would have over looked that LCD screen if Lexus made it easier to swap the head units. Unfortunately, they use a funky design where the radio is in one location and the display is higher up in another location. I thought it was difficult to put an aftermarket A/V system in my RX330, but the IS non nav is worse.
Old 03-31-06, 02:25 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Mike, priorities change. When I was single I couldn't give a rats behind about the rear seat, thus why I always prefered coupes. Now that I have a son, I have to stuff him back there and a lot of other family and baby things. The desire for sports cars and fun hasn't faded, but practicality has come about as well. There are two things that swayed my away from IS350 consideration and toward the e90. 1st was the back seat room. 2nd was the fact that in Hawaii we can't get the LCD screen and being that I'm still into modding cars I definately need the LCD screen so I can incorporate the aftermarket video system. I would have over looked that LCD screen if Lexus made it easier to swap the head units. Unfortunately, they use a funky design where the radio is in one location and the display is higher up in another location. I thought it was difficult to put an aftermarket A/V system in my RX330, but the IS non nav is worse.
I agree with you 100%. Thing is, if you want a sporty car and a backseat, your options change. IMO, you kind of have to go up the next class in cars if you want a luxury brand, which means more $$$$. Or u have to get G35 or maybe a TL or even a Maxima (God forbid)lol

I have nothing at all against the E90, let me make that clear, I love the car. And clearly, BMW being the expert and leader in this class, knows some better packaging techniques.

I sat in the IS 250 backseat agian last night, it is NOT the place to be And the smallish windows make it seem worse.

Quick Reply: 1SICKREVIEW (act II) Lexus IS 250 (update April 08)