Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

C&D: 1) Honda Fit, 2) Nissan Versa, 3) Kia Rio5, 4) Toyota Yaris ...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-06, 11:23 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
tastes are there to be changed :-). We will see what happens to sales of Yaris when it comes out.
Scions xA and xB are selling great too.

I bet it would sell just as good and maybe better if it had a traditional gauge layout. It is a fact that many people are buying it and maybe either like the gauge placement or simply over look it for the over all package, but I know a lot of people that turned away from it because of the gauges. That includes the Echo too. My bet is those people that bought those cars would still have bought it if the gauges were traditional, and more people would buy it as well. The question is why not just make them traditional? Toyota wont loose any sales and could acutally gain sales.
Old 03-31-06, 01:49 PM
LexFather

I will say IMO, no one does small cars and small engines better than Honda, thus a deserving win. THis is their M.O! Small economy cars.

Old 03-31-06, 02:29 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I will say IMO, no one does small cars and small engines better than Honda, thus a deserving win. THis is their M.O! Small economy cars.
Right, and I agree with that, but I'm still trying to figure out how the hell the Kia finished ABOVE the Toyota
Old 03-31-06, 04:39 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I bet it would sell just as good and maybe better if it had a traditional gauge layout. It is a fact that many people are buying it and maybe either like the gauge placement or simply over look it for the over all package, but I know a lot of people that turned away from it because of the gauges. That includes the Echo too. My bet is those people that bought those cars would still have bought it if the gauges were traditional, and more people would buy it as well. The question is why not just make them traditional? Toyota wont loose any sales and could acutally gain sales.
I agree. Sometimes vendors try things that "SHOULD" make sense. Unfortunately the center mounted gauges are not intuitive and turn buyers off. Yes you do get used to them but I doubt they help sales. I can think of another technology that has similar traits - look at my signature and take a guess
Old 03-31-06, 06:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
tastes are there to be changed :-). We will see what happens to sales of Yaris when it comes out.
Scions xA and xB are selling great too.
The Echo sold like leprosy. The new Yaris is unimpressive.
Old 03-31-06, 07:44 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
The Echo sold like leprosy. The new Yaris is unimpressive.
goodies!

Old 06-23-06, 01:00 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb Mini Car Wars

Yaris vs Fit vs Versa
New sub-subcompacts from Japan's Big Three offer high quality and big utility in a tiny package.

June 23, 2006; Posted: 1:51 p.m. EDT (1751 GMT)
By Sam Grobart, MONEY magazine
NEW YORK (MONEY magazine) - Used to be, buying a small car meant getting the runt of a good automaker's litter or dealing with a manufacturer that had little regard for quality, reliability or even solvency. Either way, you were likely to drive off the lot in a rickety ride that would only hold itself together until, naturally, the warranty ran out.

So it's refreshing to see the latest crop of "microcars" showing up at dealers. For starters, they come from good families: Honda, Nissan and Toyota, manufacturers that know a thing or two about quality and reliability (and that are tired of seeing younger buyers flock to inexpensive models from upstart Korean manufacturers such as Kia and Daewoo). Added bonuses include interiors that don't look as if they were designed by a prison warden, great mileage and the ability to swallow a ridiculous amount of cargo.

Plus, with an average sticker price of $13,000 (this when a loaded Honda Civic can run you $27,000 - and that's not even the Hybrid), they're priced right.

Here's the other thing about small cars now: They're cool. In an age of high fuel prices, owning one—whether it's your second vehicle or it's for your kid—doesn't carry the same stigma it once did. Owners of Yugos and Le Cars used to have to park blocks away from where they were actually going, lest someone see them behind the wheel. But in the wake of the wildly successful Mini Cooper, pulling up in a Toyota Yaris, a Nissan Versa or a Honda Fit is the perfect way to show you're smart, hip and ecofrugal.

At least that's how I felt while driving all three in and around New York this spring. Read on to see how they stack up against one another—and against their bigger, pricier brothers

Toyota Yaris
$11,850(hatch)
$12,405 (sedan)
106 hp, 34/39 mpg (automatic)
3rd place

The least expensive car in this test, the Yaris, is unashamedly thrifty. Maybe too thrifty: Windup windows are standard, and the interior, while roomy (an adult can comfortably sit in a back seat that even reclines a few inches), won't be confused with a Camry's. Cabin surfaces range from harsh gray plastic to harsher, darker gray plastic. Creature comforts, save the CD player and the AC, are nonexistent.

In the other cars tested, low sticker prices seem to come via clever solutions and creative packaging. With the Yaris, you feel that Toyota just left a lot of stuff out of the car.

Driving the Yaris is a mixed bag. It's tiny enough to slide between and around other cars, and its light, sensitive steering makes the task easy. If one of those maneuvers doesn't go as planned, optional anti-lock brakes and a full complement of air bags will step in. (It also earned a five-star crash-test rating.) Getting up to cruising speed, though, can be a bit of a nailbiter.

You wind up flooring the Yaris' accelerator to merge onto the highway, and at around 70 mph the car starts to feel as if it's at its limit.

If you were to pay base price for the Yaris, you might be getting a good deal. But once you opt for an automatic transmission and power windows and locks, the Yaris gets close in cost to its competitors, which do a better job of making you feel you got more for less.

Brother against brother

A well-equipped Yaris is within a few hundred dollars of Toyota's own $15,000 Corolla, a bigger car with a stronger engine, a better interior, a proven track record and a none too-shabby city/highway rating of 30/38 mpg. It's hard not to prefer the Corolla.

Nissan Versa
$13,000(estimated)
122 hp, 30/36 mpg
2nd place

Whether to put the Versa in first or second place was a tough call. It's well appointed, surprisingly roomy and fun to drive. If Honda hadn't changed the game with the Fit's radical interior layout, it would be hard to say which was the better car. The Versa is a conventional looking hatchback, and at a foot and a half longer than the Yaris, it's decidedly bigger. That length is put to good use inside.

The front and back seats are generous in size, and the tall roofline (a feature shared by all the competitors) gives the cabin a spacious feel. The cargo area grows by a few cubic feet when the rear seats are folded down, but as they don't fold completely flat, they're not ideal.

What really sets the Versa apart is how well equipped it is. The steering wheel has controls for the stereo, and a Bluetooth wireless connection lets you talk on your cell phone hands-free. Added treats include an in-dash six-CD changer and a keyless entry system. The driver's-side window opens and closes at the push of a button-there are luxury cars that still don't offer this feature.

Since in this class you're not looking for extraordinary power or handling, it's a compliment that the Nissan feels positively average on the road. The Versa's optional continuously variable transmission doesn't have gears, so you'll need to get used to accelerating without feeling the "steps" of a five- or six-speed. But the system works well and helps keep the car's mpg figures above 30.

The Versa has all the good qualities of a larger automobile, just shrunk into a smaller body. It's worth a serious look.

Brother against brother

Nissan is rolling out a bigger, luxurious Sentra this fall. And a more expensive one too, with prices starting near $18,000.

The Versa tops out at about $17,000. Unless you're dying for the "entry luxury" touches (tan leather and light wood accents) that will be in the new Sentra, you're better off sticking with the Versa.

Honda Fit
$14,400
109 hp, 31/38 mpg
1st place

While different from each other, the Yaris and the Versa are variations on the same hatchback theme. Honda's Fit is quite a departure. A taller wedge shape gives it proportions that are almost minivan-like, and ingenious folding seats make it even more practical. The rear seats fold flat into the floor, just as on a Chrysler Town & Country, opening up a tremendous amount of room.

You don't even have to remove the headrests-they just slide under the front row. The rear seat bottoms also flip up, creating room for taller objects such as a potted ficus or Emmanuel Lewis, and the front passenger seat can recline 180 degrees. Do that when the rear seats are stowed, and Yao Ming can stretch out.

Driving the Fit is equally eye-opening. The 109-hp engine isn't the most powerful, but the five-speed automatic (most cars in this class have four-speed transmissions) makes quick, decisive shifts; the throttle responds instantly to the gas pedal; and the suspension keeps the car firmly planted through corners.

From behind the wheel, you notice how well put together the Fit's cabin is. The dash feels solid and doesn't look as if it has been slapped together with spare parts.

The gauges have cool blue backlighting, and the steering wheel is fitted with gearshift paddles akin to those in Honda's Formula One race cars. The Fit has the highest base price among the three models here, but it comes with certain standard features that are optional on the others, including side and side-curtain air bags and anti-lock brakes.

When you start to make apples-to-apples comparisons, the Fit's price premium is considerably smaller. When you factor in its excellent drivetrain and terrific utility, that small premium seems like a bargain.

Brother against brother

A loaded Fit puts you into Civic territory, but who cares? The Civic's great, but it doesn't have the kind of cargo-hauling ability the Fit was designed for, and it's nowhere near as easy to park. The Fit is just right.

Old 06-23-06, 01:16 PM
LexFather

Yes, I got that mag yesterday. I agree, the FIT is the best FIT!