Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Road&Track-The Hybrid Payoff: Camry, Escape, Civic

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-06, 10:30 PM
LexFather

Default Road&Track-The Hybrid Payoff: Camry, Escape, Civic

Old 03-31-06, 10:51 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am curious why they did not include the Accord hybrid in the test. I wonder how would it compare with the rest.
Old 03-31-06, 11:30 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by newr
I am curious why they did not include the Accord hybrid in the test. I wonder how would it compare with the rest.
The only thing I can think of is that hybrid is more tuned to performance. It already lost to the Camry in Motor Trend though in a battle of hybrids (I posted the article here)

Old 04-01-06, 12:45 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

i found the thread. I was more interested in the performance #'s than the subjective ratings. In that test, the Accord hybrid did 6.9s and the Camry hybrid did 7.9s. In this test the Camry did 7.3s so maybe if the Accord was included in this same test, i wonder what # would the Accord hybrid get... maybe 6.3-6.5 ?

Hybrid is cool and all, but I just cant justify pending the extra $$$ for it.
Old 04-01-06, 01:10 AM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by newr
i found the thread. I was more interested in the performance #'s than the subjective ratings. In that test, the Accord hybrid did 6.9s and the Camry hybrid did 7.9s. In this test the Camry did 7.3s so maybe if the Accord was included in this same test, i wonder what # would the Accord hybrid get... maybe 6.3-6.5 ?

Hybrid is cool and all, but I just cant justify pending the extra $$$ for it.
It depends, do you not like the extra features that come standard? Because the hybrid models don't come as base with just hybrid engine

Is the Escape hybrid with an V6 or I4

Last edited by xioix; 04-01-06 at 02:33 PM.
Old 04-01-06, 05:31 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

sick, is that complete article?
Old 04-01-06, 06:34 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

So they're slower and more expensive. Must have one!

We will look back on hybrids in 10 years and laugh.
Old 04-01-06, 02:31 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

I think the new hybrid is about the same speed as the last gen Camry V6, and we know that the Highlander, RX, GS are faster than the regular V6 and V8 car while getting better gas mileage
Old 04-01-06, 04:06 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

i am laughing already

:-)

Old 04-01-06, 04:25 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

how much are the civic and camry hybrids?

I personally wouldn't get a Civic hybrid... a gasoline civic is too slow for my taste, the hybrid is slower. And the regular Civic has good enough gas mileage for me.

The Camry I would consider, its slower than the SE V6... but 7.3 is fine for me. Thats close to an IS300, little faster than the previous GS300. And if it gets 30-40mpg while doing that, and still having space... its worth a shot.
Old 04-01-06, 11:14 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by spwolf
sick, is that complete article?
no, I don;t have the rest

Old 04-15-06, 11:12 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

A bit longer version of scan posted above that shows MPG.

Something that I have been trying to explain for a while, but nobody that didnt drive hybrid before wants to accept. Check PCH MPG that R&T got - V6 Camry got 26 mpg, which is good, BUT Hybrid Camry got 46.5 MPG!!!! Thats 20 mpg more and more than what EPA indicates.

Hybrids indeed get better mpg on highway than conventional cars. Even though that was an V6 Camry, you can check Civic EX which got "only" 33 MPG, or 13 MPG less than Camry Hybrid, despite being slower, lighter vehicle with smaller engine.
Old 04-15-06, 11:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

:

Probably sooner than that if, as scheduled, the clean-burning, low-sulfur diesel fuel gets to the U.S. later this year.
Old 04-15-06, 01:14 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Probably sooner than that if, as scheduled, the clean-burning, low-sulfur diesel fuel gets to the U.S. later this year.
i cant wait for you to give us an review of diesel engine in any vehicle... I have yet to find an diesel here in Europe that can get anywhere close to Prius mpg in real life. And I drive all of the Toyota's high tech diesels on daily basis (which are considered one of the best 4cly diesels on the market today).
Old 04-15-06, 01:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
i cant wait for you to give us an review of diesel engine in any vehicle... I have yet to find an diesel here in Europe that can get anywhere close to Prius mpg in real life. And I drive all of the Toyota's high tech diesels on daily basis (which are considered one of the best 4cly diesels on the market today).
Well then , take a look at some of the NON-Toyota diesels. VW has a small car in Europe called the Lupo that can get almost 80 MPG with its small 1.2L diesel. There are MANY small cars with diesels in Europe that can get in excess of the 50-60 MPG that the Prius is rated at ( but usually does not actually get ). I won't go down the whole list...since you are already in Europe, I'm sure you are familiar with some of them.

Now, closer to home here in the American market........a co-worker of mine is on his second American-spec VW Jetta diesel. Even with the lousy diesel fuel we get here in America that cannot compare to the excellent fuel in Europe ( and which is soon coming here ) he was getting 60 MPG on the highway before the engine was even broken in. !
( I cautioned him, of course, about driving a brand-new engine long distances at the same engine speed )

Now...why have I not done a formal review yet of an American-spec diesel? Not much interest in it on CL to date, and the fact that right now it would really mean much since new diesel fuel AND new diesel engines are shortly coming to the U.S....but I'll do one if you want me to.
Beetle? Passat ? Which one do you want.....they have both at the Subaru-VW dealership I got my Outback at. The new Golf and Passat diesels are not yet available here.

Quick Reply: Road&Track-The Hybrid Payoff: Camry, Escape, Civic