Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2006 Lexus IS250 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-06, 02:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Review: 2006 Lexus IS250 AWD

http://www.lexus.com/models/is/250aw...fications.html

I chose the 2006 Lexus IS250 AWD as my latest review for several reasons: First, by request of some CL members and the level of interest shown in it by this understandably Lexus-oriented general auto-chat forum; Second, I already have an AWD car ( an Outback ) with the same 2.5 L engine displacement, and I wanted to see how the two cars compared. Third, Mike (1SICKLEX ) and Ryan ( flipside909 ) have already done 2 ( excellent as usual ) reviews on the RWD models so I didn't have to take time to do the IS250 or 350 RWD models...I could concentrate on the AWD one, and, Fourth, I probably would have bought one if it were not for its ( for me ) too-low ground clearance and some equipment changes Lexus made when they redesigned the car....primarily tire and wheels.
The 2006 IS250 RWD, IS250 AWD, and IS350 RWD replace the 2001-2005 IS300 RWD and hatchback IS300 SportCross with their 3.0 L 215 HP straight-sixes. A major powertrain change, like on its bigger brother 2006 GS300, is the adoption of V6 layouts on all three of the new IS models...primarily for packaging and the addition of the AWD hardware. Interiors on all three 2006 models are much plusher-looking ( though not necessarily plusher-FEELING ) and more in line with the Lexus nameplate.
The new IS series, like before, generally competes with the new Chris Bangle 3-series, although the IS250 AWD, while loosely competing with the BMW 325i, has no direct comparison in that BMW does not market an AWD 325i here in the U.S. market....only RWD versions. The IS350 RWD loosely competes with the BMW 330i and outpowers all of the 3-series cars but the M-3.
But, since this is, like I said, a review of the IS250 AWD...let's concentrate on that model. Overall, I had mixed feelings about this car...as this review will illustrate. So now let's get to the car itself:

Model reviewed: 2006 Lexus IS250 AWD
Major options: NAV, Luxury Package
Base price: $34,275
MSRP ( with freight ): $39,730
Powertrain: 2.5L V6, 204 HP, 184 ft.-lbs. torque, full-time AWD, 6-speed paddle-shift and console sport-shift automatic.
Exterior color: Blue Onyx Pearl
Interior: Black leather with wood trim

PLUSSES:

Typical Lexus first-rate fit-and-finish and assembly quality.

Excellent paint job.

Keyless entry and ignition.

Well-designed, clear, legible gauges and controls.

Many luxury and convienence features available.

Heated and cooled seats.

Hood struts finally replace the cheap prop-rod on the last model.

Excellent handling with AWD stability and traction.

Relatively good steering feel....not as good, of course, as the 3-series.

Better-than-average brakes.

Smooth, quiet engine.

Some classy color choices....but the bright colors of the last model are gone.

Interior finally looks like a Lexus.

MINUSES:

Automatic, AWD powertrain with the realtively small engine robs some power and gas mileage.

Ride a little stiff for my tastes.

Too much road noise for a Lexus vehicle.

Interior hardware not as solid-feeling as the 2001-2005 model.

Full-sized but dummy spare...this is a step backward from the former model's real spare tire and wheel.

Low-raked roofline and sunroof compromises headroom for tall people.

Rear seat unfit for adults...and even some older children.

Low ground clearance restricts driving in deeper snow, getting a hose underneath for cleaning, and access to oil drain plug....and the low front air dam rules out ramps.

OK......the first impression you get of this car as you walk up to it and approach it is that of a scaled-down GS, although the front and rear lights are a little different. The IS exterior styling closely mimics that of big-brother GS300 / 430 and even bigger-brother LS460 just unveiled.
The paintwork and exterior fit-and-finish, as I mentioned above, is typically Lexus.....first-rate. Gaps are super-thin, the finish is mirror-smooth without a trace of orange peel, and everything is attached solidly with no loose parts or trim. Chrome trim is done with taste and has an expensive look...none of that awful plasticized chrome-plate peel-off-next-week look so common on domestic products, particularly Dodge/Chrysler and Chevys. Low ground clearance, ( too low, IMO ) from the lower-body panels and front air-dam, though, severely limits what you can do under the car for cleaning, oil changes, etc.... without a garage lift and for driving in deeper snow.

Open the driver's door and get in ......there is no key as such, only a small black box with a built-in, hidden, emergency key in the unlikely case the electronics fail. With the box in your possession, just touch the little sensor next to the door handle and pop the door open and squeeze in under the relatively low roofline. Pull the door closed...it shuts with a fairly solid " thunk " but doesn't feel quite as solid or heavy as the door on the old car. The rich leather seats are comfortable and supportative and both heated and cooled with nice console-mounted thumbwheels, although, like on a lot of smaller Toyota-Lexus products, the seat cushions are a little short on support for long legs and thighs. ( Saab seats used to excel in this area ). The large, round gauges are EXCELLENT...clear, legible, informative...some of the best I've seen. One of the reasons I owned a 2001 IS300 was that car's chronograph gauges that I thought were interesting, but I don't miss them one bit after seeing these new ones. The only thing I would change is the 20-MPH increments on the speedmeter ( like many other vehicles today ). I would use 10-MPH increments if I designed them. It makes it easier to tell your speed at a glance.....useful when the man in blue pops up out of nowhere. The wood trim on the console and door panels ( part of the Luxury package ) is attractive, done in good taste, but a little too highly polished for my tastes...I generally prefer the Rosewood matte-wood trim on the Infiniti M35 / 45 and the Acura RL. A Sport package, for those who prefer it, replaces the wood with brushed-metal trim. The interior hardware ( switches, *****, buttons, etc..... ) are, in the Lexus tradition, better-than-average, but do not have quite the solid feel of those in the old car. And....good news.........GONE is that cheap-looking dash on the old car as well. The new interior overall, especially the dash and console, has a much more plush look to it and is more deserving of the Lexus nameplate than the old one. The silver-trimmed NAV screen, like on some other luxury cars, has a built-in camera for backing up, and generally has easy-to use controls built into it for the radio, climate control, and several other features. I generally don't like NAV screen-based controls and find them awkward, but this one was one of the best and easiest-to use I have ever seen. Well-done, Lexus......now if only BMW would re-design that idiotic I-Drive and make it like this ! Another nice feature missing on the old car is tilt-down outside mirrors when the car is put into reverse....useful for backing up and watching your space markings.
Not all is well inside, however. There are two notable problems. First, the low roofline ( GS-inspired, as previously noted ) doesn't give adequate headroom for tall people, even with the power seat control adjusted all the way down. Especially with a hat on ( I usually wear a cap ) you have to rake the seat back a little...not my favorite driving position. Fortunately the well-designed belts fit without chafing or running uncomfortably up the neck.
Second, the rear seat IMO is completely unfit for adults....and older teens. It is even smaller than the already-undersized one on the old car, with legroom, especially with the front seats pushed back, almost as bad as the back seat in the essentially 2-seat SC430. The low roofline, of course, not only takes its toll on front headroom but even more in the rear. This clearly a car for two adults and two small children ( or midgets ). However, it should be noted that the IS is not usually bought as a family car............that role is usually taken by other, more roomy, Lexus products like the RX330, so I will take off a few Brownie points here but not too many.
In the back, the trunk is fairly well-sized for a car of this exterior dimensions, and comes with a first-aid kit and nice cargo net, but the full-size doughnut spare IMO is a big step backwards from the real spare tire and alloy wheel on the last car. Come on, Lexus.....you can do better than this, especially for a $35,000-$40,000 price.

OK....now for the driving experience. With the black box in your pocket ( or otherwise nearby ) just push the starter button and the 2.5L V6 comes very smoothly and very quietly to life....almost no indication at all that it is running except for the tach and warning lights. Idle a minute, get everything adjusted, foot on the brake, slide the gated shifter out of park ( good but a little less solid-feeling than the chrome ball shifter on the old car ) put it in gear and go.
Warm it up, keeping the revs at 4000 or below ( like most of my reviews, this was a brand-new car with 25 miles ). I notice that the AWD hardware and automatic transmission, together with the relatively small-displacement 2.5 L V6 will get this car out of its own way but not much else. If you want to go down to the track and drag-race 3-series cars on Friday nights, do yourself a favor and get the 306-HP, 277 ft.-lb. IS350.
Don't misunderstand, though. This car, even with the automatic and AWD has OK power for normal driving and will serve most people fine....it's just not a drag racer.
I was not pleased with this car's ride, however ( even after getting the tire pressure right...something they SAY they do on the Initial and PDI inspections when the car comes off the transporter but usually don't ). The ride was generally too stiff for my tastes, with a noticeable amount of road noise.......a hollow-sounding muted roar that did not appreciably lessen on different road surfaces, IMO was clearly out of place in a Lexus vehicle, and was noticeably stiffer and louder than in my old 2001 IS300. Credit that to two things....the standard low-profile 45-series semi-high-performance tires on the new car, and the lack of a quieter, softer-riding, and longer-lasting 55-series all-season tire option on the new car like on the old ( and like my own 2001 IS300 had ). The 45-series tires and the bodywork on the new car also severely limit access underneath....less of a problem with the old 55's. Some of you may diagree wih my reasoning here, but this was a serious matter for me and, yes.......a deal-breaker. That was the primary reason I did not buy a new IS myself after owning the old one.
Those 45-series tires, however, DID help the car's handling....steering feel and response, while not as sharp as the 3-series ( few cars ARE ) was definitely in sport-sedan territory, aided of course by the AWD's traction, weight distribution, and stability. This is not a car that will likely slide its tail out or plow straight ahead under hard cornering.
Brakes, an excellent point on the old car, were likewise well-designed on this one as well, with relatively good modulation, evenness of feel, and short stopping distances. However, on my old car, even with my less-than-totally-aggressive driving habits, there was slight rotor warpage and pedal vibration by the 25,000-mile mark...time will tell how the new ones hold up. The emergency brake, however, unlike the nice console-mounted pull-up handle on the old car and on most sports sedans, was an awkward, Buick-style step-on pedal mounted low under the left side of the dash.....a couple of more Brownie points off for that one.
You sure won't hear much of this car's road noise, however, when you crank up the killer stereo, especially with some bass.................the stereo is DEFINITELY Lexus. If only I had had my 80's Heavy Metal CD's with me...Twisted Sister, AC/DC, Judas Priest, Motley Crue, Quiet Riot, etc.... now that would have been a ride.
The automatic transmission was also typically Lexus....well-designed, smooth, and quiet. It comes standard on the AWD model, along with traction and stability control ( if you want a stick you have to buy the IS250 RWD ). It has solid-feeling steering-column paddles for shifting ( some cars, especially GM products, have C-H-E-A-P flimsy paddles )...the left one downshifts and the right one upshifts ( in manual mode, of course ). The shift lever also has Sport and manual modes as well. Like on the old car, the Manual console-shift features a program that automatically downshifts and upshifts up to the gear you set........you take it from there. I like that...it prevents someone from forgetting that the car is in the Manual first mode and overreving the engine on take-off from a stop, forgetting to upshift to second ( I confess I've done that a few times, fortunately not to redline ).
The AWD system, perhaps the main point of this review, like on other Lexus products works seamlessly, and like other AWD systems helps to distribute both weight and power evenly to all four wheels, thereby lessening the tendency to oversteer or understeer, and even with the less-than-perfect-for-slick-surfaces 45-series tires will undoubtedly help winter and rain traction as well....a weak point in the RWD-only old car even with traction control and snow-mode transmission programing. But the AWD's unsprung weight under the suspension ( extra driveshafts, U-joints, differentials, etc...) also helps contribute to the rather stiff ride.

OK.....the overall verdict? A generally suitable replacement for the old car, with more engine and drivetrain options, a classier and more luxurious-looking interior finally worthy of the Lexus name, good road manners in the handling department, adequate if not tire-burning power, well-designed brakes, stereo, NAV controls, clear gauges and controls, a reasonable price for the Lexus quality and features offered, and the usual mirror-smooth Lexus paint job. It does lack the hatchback option of the old car ( though few SportCross models were sold anyway ), the 55-series tire option ( a much more important omission, IMO ), some of the interior hardware and door sheet-metal quality of the old car, and could use some more chassis work filtering out road and tire noise. A less-aggressive tire tread and higher profile would help here as well. And one more thing...maybe a real back seat.
How does it compare to its arch-rival 325i ( another car I have reviewed ) ? Neither car has much of a back seat, and both are priced in the same general price range, although the 325, as previously mentioned, does not offer AWD at least inthe U.S. market. So......IMO, with the exception of the BMW's world-class chassis dynamics, ride-handling combination, and steering feel, the IS250 AWD trumps the Bimmer in almost every other way, especially build quality......and you don't have to put up with BMW's ridiculous I-Drive.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-04-06 at 03:54 AM.
Old 04-03-06, 03:06 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
with the exception of the BMW's world-class chassis dynamics, ride-handling combination, and steering feel, the IS250 AWD trumps the Bimmer in almost every other way...
This pretty much sums up all Lexus cars compared to their BMW competition...

Great review!
Old 04-03-06, 03:15 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

. . . The new IS series, like before, generally competes with the new Chris Bangle 3-series, although the IS250 AWD, while loosely competing with the BMW 325i, has no direct comparison in that BMW does not market an AWD 325i here in the U.S. market....only RWD versions. . .
What about the 325xi ?

Click HERE
Old 04-03-06, 03:27 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
What about the 325xi ?

Click HERE
Correct, you can can an AWD 3 series in every 4 door trim. A 325xi sedan, 330xi sedan, and 325xi Sports Wagon
Old 04-03-06, 03:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

OK...thanks. I thought BMW was dropping the 325xi......the BMW people gave me that impression when I reviewed the 325. I'll stand corrected if necessary.
Old 04-03-06, 03:44 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
This pretty much sums up all Lexus cars compared to their BMW competition...

Great review!
Don't forget the oft mentioned rear seats legroom
Old 04-03-06, 05:03 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mmarshall, you forgot the best 80's to drive to. Sammy Hagar "I Can't Drive 55" would have freaked out the saleperson with you.

Great review. Sounds like a winner to me. I just wish they'd do an AWD IS350.
Old 04-03-06, 06:13 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Well said.
Old 04-03-06, 06:53 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Good review Marsh When I got to play around with an IS350 last month I noticed that it is HUGE in comparison to the IS300 when you stand back and look at it. I even made the comment to the salesperson that if it get's any bigger it will be as large as the rather boaty ES330. The interior, while it does not have much rear room, gives way to a larger interior front section.
Old 04-03-06, 09:03 PM
LexFather

Wow, another great review. I agree, the fit and finish, the interior, its hard to think this is the ENTRY LEVEL car. It makes you feel like its worth more than the asking price.

if they can make a GS 350AWD, why no IS 350 AWD? Makes sense to me. Hell offer both.

Thanks again

Old 04-03-06, 09:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,369 Likes on 1,554 Posts

Great review mmarshall. Thanks for taking the time.

This clearly a car for two adults and two small children ( or midgets ).
I love your political incorrectness.

In the back, the trunk is fairly well-sized for a car of this exterior dimensions, ...
The 3GS seems to have been designed with the tiny trunk opening to give the rear seat more head room by having the rear glass start so far back. Maybe this 2IS could have done the same to help out the midgets.
Old 04-04-06, 11:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vegassc400
Mmarshall, you forgot the best 80's to drive to. Sammy Hagar "I Can't Drive 55" would have freaked out the saleperson with you.

Great review. Sounds like a winner to me. I just wish they'd do an AWD IS350.
No..........not Hagar. I dislike his music, not because I don't like the beat ( I do ) but because his lyrics, especially stuff like " Can't drive 55 ", " Cruisin and Boozin ", and " Trans-Am " encourage and glorify reckless and drunken driving. Alcohol and excessive speed kill more people on the road than anything else.

( Of course, to be honest, much of Heavy Metal glorifies illicit sex, drugs, violence, and drinking anyway but I just let many of those lyrics go in one ear and out the other. I don't live that kind of lifestyle......I just like beat of the music. But Hagar really gets to me with his stuff about drunken driving...a widespread killer )

BTW, salespeople don't always go with me either. Don't want to sound like I'm bragging, but many of them are impressed with my car knowledge and they know ( or believe ) that I am responsible and trustworthy. And I am.......in many years of review and test-driving I have NEVER abused or wrecked a dealer's car. ( not even the 2006 Corvette C6 I reviewed for you guys last Christmas) I sometimes accelerate, corner and brake fairly hard to test the systems, but never beyond the limits of a new car for break-in....or beyond common sense if the car is already broken-in.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-04-06 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-04-06, 11:53 AM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Dude, that was one HELLOVA read... but WELL worth it!

Thanks for another great review! Be sure to do one on the new Tahoe Hybrid... that one has peaked my interest!
Old 04-04-06, 12:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stage3
Dude, that was one HELLOVA read... but WELL worth it!

Thanks for another great review! Be sure to do one on the new Tahoe Hybrid... that one has peaked my interest!
You got it, chief. The new Tahoe is already well up on my review and test-drive list....and the Hybrid if possible, though they may be hard to find or all pre-sold. I may have to go to the public GM Test-Drive-a-Thon for that.
During my 4 days at the Washington, DC Auto Show in January, I spent more time with the new GM full-size SUV's than with ANY other new vehicles....they are truly a BIG improvement over their predecessors, and not just skin-deep.......the first REAL evidence that GM is getting serious about fit-and-finish and material quality that I have seen in many years, despite a lot of talk. Like Chrysler / Dodge, too many of even their newest models are simply the same old cheap plastic coated with an attempt to disguise it with a layer of glitz.
As soon as I can test-drive one of these new full-size SUV's....another post coming up.
Old 04-04-06, 02:39 PM
Mwmorph
Driver

Default thumbs up

nice review. I've been trying to get my dad to get one of these. Since he's older now and no longer has to worry about us kids, hes thinking of a smaller luxury coupe/sedan with a V6 to replace his camry and he's currently looking pretty seriously at a Caddy CTS, which I keep- telling him is nowhere as nice as a IS250 AWD.

Quick Reply: Review: 2006 Lexus IS250 AWD